Author Topic: Which caliber 257-308 or 338 would you choose to do  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Which caliber 257-308 or 338 would you choose to do
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 03:58:11 AM »
ok mac we all know you . so something normal wont work , so there goes the 308 and you already had one that shot in the .2's . you already had a 338-06  down grading to the little brother wont happen. and the 257 roberts is differant and we all know how you like to be differant. you can fight it as much as you want i got money on you biulding a "bob"

I don't know Mitch..The Roberts has a lot of appeal to me and when hand loaded can do almost as good as it's big brother the 25-06..I haven't had a super accurate 308 Handi since my first one,and I would love to have a 24" fluted match grade one..I've just about ruled out the 338 Federal since brass for it is almost non-existent..so I would have to shoot a bunch of factory fodder just to be able to have the same head stamped brass..

Stumpy...no..not any longer..I sold off my last one a little while back..I'm almost at a point of saying the heck with everything and just have 1 rifle to do it all for a while..It sure would make life easier...but soooooooo boring :D :D I may just wind up doing this...hmmm...a 26" cut rifled 30-06...hmmm That wouldn't be too bad a choice...Thanks Swampy...here I go again... :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 04:10:50 AM »
Mac, It sounds like maybe you need to get into building up 'custom' H&R rimfires.
Lets see...one of those fancy fluted 10/22 barrels stubbed up, etc, etc....
Just grab a box of ammo and go anytime you find the time.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 04:22:00 AM »
why  don't snipers prefer the   338  or  257??

must  be something to  those  308s

260  remington  my choise
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 04:32:11 AM »
Mac, It sounds like maybe you need to get into building up 'custom' H&R rimfires.
Lets see...one of those fancy fluted 10/22 barrels stubbed up, etc, etc....
Just grab a box of ammo and go anytime you find the time.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...I don't need to start think about those kinds of projects again.. :D :D :D :D :D

I have to stay away from things like that...that would be way too much fun for me and I don't think I could handle it ;D ;D

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 04:33:32 AM »
why  don't snipers prefer the   338  or  257??

must  be something to  those  308s

260  remington  my choise

I was all set up to do a AI version of it a while back but passed it on to Quick..He's retired you know...and he has all of that free time  ;D ;D

Mac

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 05:18:47 AM »
bob,BOB, like Necchi sez anything short of Grizz.. ;D
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 12:40:04 PM »
bob,BOB, like Necchi sez anything short of Grizz.. ;D

Nope...

I think I have narrowed it down to 2...and both of them .308 caliber. Brass/bullets/factory loads for these are the best..and versatility...while not the best for varmints,I think the 270 can take care of this role.I'm not much into PD shooting..but will be dropping a few coyote size critters.

I've already got a 270 Handi..and as a 270 I won't really get a chamber dimensioned near enough for my taste if I re-bore/re-chamber this one..so that leads me to getting another 25-06 barrel if I want a 26" 30-06,or a 223/243 bull barrel if I want a decent 24" 308..and keeping the 270. It's pretty accurate..but I'm not getting the velocities I should due to some issues with it..and I really don't want the hassle of an improved/wildcat..I'm not really set up for them with my loading gear.

The "Bob" will wait till I can start playing around again with various cartridges again and most likely will be up first when the time comes,this something to defiantly look forward too.. and at least now I can start formulating a plan to get when I can do it.The 338 Federal would be vary nice,and would make a dandy mid range heavy hitter and will also be on my short list..Hopefully by that time the brass issue they are having will be corrected or the caliber will die off..The 338-06 A-square is always doable and if I feel the need for another super cartridge I know this one will get the nod..

Right now..I got a couple feelers out on a 243 barrel and a 25-06 barrel...and if they don't happen then it will be shipping off to the factory and playing the waiting game with them. I'm not going to rush it and just sees what takes place the next couple of days..I would love to be able to afford both of them getting done..but as I said..I can only do 1 of them this year..

Thanks for your suggestions on the different calibers & cartridges guys...It's now it is down to 2 of the best out there for me,and this is where it gets really hard cause I really want them both..Looks like it comes down to me making a ultimate hunting Handi with a 26" 30-06..or a Ultimate target Handi with a 24" bull barrel 308...While on paper for factory specs the 308 is close to the money for speed..having a long tubed 30-06 and being able to hand load it to it's potential is very appealing to..

Mac