Author Topic: Coupla boyds t-hole questions  (Read 530 times)

Offline Jeffery8mm

• Trade Count: (59)
  • A Real Regular
Coupla boyds t-hole questions
« on: February 25, 2010, 09:09:21 AM »
Just got mine in Forest, since I already had a forearm!
What is best to "finish" them with??  Tru-oil, boiled linseed oil, or something else?? Sand with steel wool in between coats?  How many coats?
  Also, how do you remove the recoil pad that Boyds put on??  I really like the one on my stock better.
Thanks
Jeff
With proper care and maintenance the human body will last a lifetime! :)

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Coupla boyds t-hole questions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:53:03 AM »
Boyd's has a YouTube video on their site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOhnr9AENLU

They use Tru-Oil.  Not sure what the exact formula is for that but it has linseed oil in it.  I've used Tung oil on WWII era military stocks with good results.  I thin the first 2 'sealer coats.'

Offline medicdogg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (42)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 12:09:43 PM »
I used automotive clear coat on mine as I work in a body shop part time.  3 coats with 800 grit wet sand between coats.
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:26:34 PM »
Formby's tung oil low satin
here my flinter I just finished 20 coats

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 12:56:26 PM »
I have become a big fan of TUNG OIL!!  Before that I used Tru-oil and Lin-speed oils with very good success. Sand with finer and finer grits. then "whisker" it with a damp cloth. Then start with the steel wool coarser first followed by finer and finer grades. Until wetting gets you no whiskers. Now start with the finish. I like to rub it in with my hands. Place in a dry box to keep dust off. (No so critical now. But BIG TIME important for the final coats.) After a couple coats, remove most of it with steel wool and repeat. You decide how many coats, but I would say 8-10 as a start. f you want a matte finish final coat gets some fine wool lightly and evenly. If you don't like the look re-coat and let dry and try again.

Its a labor intensive process, but very rewarding and beautiful when your done!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 11:48:01 PM »
I switched from steel wool to Scotch-Brite pads.  Not sure what 'grit' but they are maroon in color.  I use them for final dry sanding and then to wet sand with oil prior to final coats.  They keep the finish even and don't leave any residue.