Author Topic: help on setting up to reload Question  (Read 507 times)

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
help on setting up to reload Question
« on: February 25, 2010, 09:42:10 AM »
I have not reloaded in about 50 yrs but am getting back into it. I bought a Lee classic cast press But I went with all RCBS die sets. Lee as well as RCBS says to push handle down to rase the shell holder up to full and then screw sizer die till it touches shell holder and then let off preasure and turn die in about 1/4 turn and lock in place. If I do it that way the case deforms on the shoulder Kind of a wave looking but if I back die out to where it has maybe a 1000 clearance between shell holder and die every thing seem fine so is this the way I need to set the die?

Thanks
Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: help on setting up to reload Question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »
Redding says to set the die where it just contacts the shell holder . This is what I do to full lengty resize . One thought is that maybe you have to much case lube .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:02:16 AM »
Had not thought about that but I will really watch that, I only put a drop on case and rubbed it around real good with finger, Some say pad some say finger Years ago I used a pad and have a pad so will try that.

Thanks
Deaconllb

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:05:50 AM »
I use lyman spray now but did use a finger with RCBS lube . Pads always seemed dirty .

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 10:34:49 AM »
Morn'in DeaconLLB,

I thought I had sent info your way, but it must be lost in "E" land someplace.

This is just IMHO, I found out years ago not to follow that setup info if I desired any kind of good case life.

Because of manufacturing toleriences, the dementions of chambers and sizing dies DO, IN MANY CASES, veary from the listed specs.

For that reason, if you should have a loose/over size chamber in your firearm and happen to get a tight/undersized set of dies, you will very quickly over work your brass which ends up in case failures.

Again this does not mean defective guns or dies, but rather items which fall within the allowed toleriences.

Therefore, I always set my full length dies down to the very minimum which allows for easy chambering in my chamber.

If using brass from another chamber, the first sizing may need to be more aggresive to allow for chambering.

Setting the die to the minimum will very likely require you to set the die down again - just a tad -if you find your brass to be hard to chamber after a few firings.

But readjusting your dies down, each time the very minimum needed, will soon bring you to the place of optimum fit and brass life for your chamber.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:38:48 AM »
Well went back and re read instructions that was for the classic cast press and Lee says that this press is so strong that there is no need to preload the dies When you just feel die touch shell holder stop and lock in place.That is about where I am now with the setting.
I was thinking that the spray lube might work better than finger or pad.

Thanks
Deaconllb

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 10:51:03 AM »
One other question while on the start up mode. I am going to reload some 7mm-08 and I have some 170 grn bullets but so far have only found reloading data for the 168 grn so if I use the 170 bullets and the 168 powder data am I going to have a preasure problem, I am going to be using H 4895 as that seems to cover all the cal. that I will reload in rifle. also I will only use start loads never max loads.

Thanks
Deaconllb

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 11:02:04 AM »
modern reloading by Richard Lee list 32.4 min and 36.0 max for 4895 with a 168 gr. and 31.5 min and 35.0 max for a 175 gr bullet . use the 175 gr. data would seem the safe route . Cut it 10% to start would also be a wise choice. Does your book list 175 gr bullets ? Also check Winchester powders site , it will also list H and IMR

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:14:44 AM »
Hodgdon's site is also a good source of data, it might be worth a look.  I also switched over and only use spray lube these days, much easier.  I use Hornady One Shot and have never had a problem.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 11:46:43 AM »
Even without "preloading", if you set the dies down to the shell holder, you will most likely be over sizing/working the brass.

There is no lack of being strong with with many of the other presses, the Lee comment needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

AS long as the brass chamber, size as little as possible.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »
Yes I bought Lees latest book on reloading and it has 168 and 175 no 170. I also found that it had no load data for the 6.8 Rem Had to go on to hodgdons site to get the data. Ever wonder if they leave this out so you have to buy more books :)

Deaconllb

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 12:20:06 PM »
Deacon, the 6.8 is a fairly recent cartridge. Lee's book was probably printed before the 6.8 had all the details worked out. Since you have a 'puter, go to one of the company's website's to check for load data. With the shape and construction of bullets being as they are, the 170 is close to either the 168 or the 175. I would start close to the bottom of a recomended load and work my way up from there. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 01:31:01 PM »
Good advice there!!
What you are dealing with, besides the difference in weight, is "where the base of the bullet seats" which dictates available powder space. Sometimes you can go to a lighter bullet and get higher pressure due to bullet shape and/or seating depth. Also, be reminded that, depending on the throating in your chamber, round nose bullets will probably seat to a shorter OAL than will pointed bullets. "higher pressure" can be a relative term. IF you are beginning with a starting load of either the 168gr or the 175gr AND the bullet profiles are reasonably close in shape, I would seriously doubt if a pressure problem could occur.
With the shape and construction of bullets being as they are, the 170 is close to either the 168 or the 175. I would start close to the bottom of a recomended load and work my way up from there. gypsyman

On your sizing die situation, like Darrell Davis posted, it's really easy to over stress the brass while sizing more than is necessary. If you are using "brass previously fired in your rifle", than probably all you need is some neck-sizing to insure bullet  tension. A quarter inch of sized neck is all you need to hold a 7mm-8 bullet in place, so adjust your 'full-length' die so that  you are sizing down the neck and watch how far you are coming down on the neck. You will be able to see where the die is working. When you get where you want to be (forget the book instructions on setting up dies, the dies work for you) make sure the brass will work in your rifle properly. If they do not, keep sizing down until they do. HTH

Jeff
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater