Author Topic: redfeild or nikon prostaff  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
Re: redfeild or nikon prostaff
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 11:54:42 AM »
just looked at some sightron reveiws, and they look real good. ??? too many to choose from. Whats the best quality out of all mentioned? I know, I know, opinions.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 01:44:24 PM »
first ive seen 3200s on special for 200 bucks so the price is comparable and a 3x9 surely wont allways gather more light then a 2x7 a 1x4x20 with great glass will pick up more light then a 3x9x50 with cheap glass anyday. Glass quality and coating quality is where light transmition really comes from not high power and giant objectives.
Yes for twice the money the Bushnell 3200 is a better scope.  A 3-9x40 will always gather more light than a 2-7x32.
blue lives matter

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 01:48:04 PM »
The best of all the scopes mentioned is the Bushnell 3200 Elite 2-7X32.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline p15camborne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 02:48:41 PM »
I just ordered a Redfield 2-7x33mm from Cabela's for $129.99.  Added a box of ammunition to get their free shipping special.  Looks to me like it falls between the Leupold VX-I and VX-II in features and costs less than a Nikon Prostaff and much less than a Leupold VX-I.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 02:50:09 PM »
You can get a Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 to your door for $109.00.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »
guys who shopped at midwayusa seem to think the sightron sII is as good if not better than a 4200,  3200, conquest, leupold vI, vII, etc. I know some reveiws are questionable, but theres plenty of bad reveiws for scopes at midway. all good for the sII.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 05:07:59 PM »
I hope the new Redfields are as good as some are willing them to be. They seem to have a lot going for them. A lot of scopes look good right out of the box, we'll see how they are 5 years down the road.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »
Where can I get a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 for $109?  That's a good price.  That's the price I've seen for the 4x32 rimfire Prostaff.  One minor drawback to the Nikon Prostaff is parallax is set to 75 yards.  The Redfield is set to 150 yards.  I'm putting the scope on a .243.  I'm getting the 2-7x33mm Redfield because I like scopes mounted low.  Also getting the Redfield to see how good it is. 

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2010, 05:46:37 PM »
I bought mine off eBay.

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2010, 01:41:45 AM »
I never bought from E-Bay.  I like the safety of Cabela's.  Even if it costs more.  I've returned a couple Leupolds after I tried them.  Cabela's gave me a full refund. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Redfield or Nikon pro-staff
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010, 01:57:16 AM »
Quote from: p15camborne link=topic=201000.msg 1099039311#msg 1099039311 date=1267235321
I just ordered a Redfield 2-7x33mm from Cabela's for $129.99. 

Good show!!  Please post up what you think once you get it and have a chance to use it a bit!!

Quote from: p15camborne
I like the safety of Cabela's.  Even if it costs more.  I've returned a couple Leupold's after I tried them.  Cabela's gave me a full refund.

What, if I may ask, did you not like about the Leupold's you looked at/tried?

Hunt-m-up,

I hope the new Redfields are as good as some are willing them to be. They seem to have a lot going for them. A lot of scopes look good right out of the box, we'll see how they are 5 years down the road.
Well said, and I agree!!

Lloyd
 I COMPLETELY agree!! Big objectives are something some lesser quality scope manufacturers use to try and make there scopes more saleable. There ability to transmit light, isn't directly attributed to their objective diameter! That's a FACT!
Swampy, simply doesn't like most anything thats not made by REMINGTON... ::) ::)

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010, 01:58:13 AM »
I like the prices on eBay.  I've bought & sold hundreds of items with no problem.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2010, 02:14:26 AM »
like i said the prostaff is a decent scope for a 22 or a plinking gun but the one i have is not a good performer in low light and for a hunting rifle id want better optics. I was surpised when i first tried it as most of the other nikons ive owned and tried were exceptional in low light for the money spent.
blue lives matter

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2010, 03:41:02 AM »
CWLONGSHOT:  

I'll let you know how I like the Redfield.  I'll mount it on my Ruger .243.  I figure Redfield with Leupold standing behind it is worth trying.  All the scopes I have now are made by Leupold.    

I've returned two Leupolds to Cabela's. Cabela's has a 60 day return policy on optics.  I ordered a Leupold Rifleman on sale to take a look at it.  Tried it on my Ruger .243 Hawkeye.  Nothing wrong with the Rifleman.  It's just old Vari-X II technology.  Sent it back to Cabela's for a refund.  Also a new VX-I from Cabela's didn't adjust properly out of the box.  So I returned it to Cabela's for exchange.  I could have sent it to Leupold for repair, but I figured why not get a new replacement.  The replacement worked perfectly.  

My latest Leupold, an FX-II 4x33mm, was damaged by Leupold when I sent it back to them for modification.  I'm disappointed their quality control didn't catch the problem.  I returned it.  They say they have repaired it.  UPS tracking says I'll get it back Monday.  So we'll see.  Leupold isn't perfect, but who is?   At least they keep at it until it's right.  I've read too many stories about lack of support from other optics companies.  

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2010, 06:32:22 AM »
bottom line is leupold is still the gold standard of american scopes. there the ones the others are judged by. How many times have you heard its as good as a leupold? Id bet theres more guides and professional hunters all over the world that use leupold scopes then the rest combined and for good reason!
blue lives matter

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2010, 12:58:15 PM »
Leupold is the gold standard of American scopes.  It's the only American scope.

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2010, 01:54:51 PM »
checked out the redfeild, a leupold xv2, and a 3200 elite today. in my book the red and leupold tied for first, and the 3200 came in next. The redfeild was very durably built, or at least seemed like it. crystal clear right to the edge of the sight picture, no blur or fuzz, no matter where the zoom was set. really liked the reticle. and you could look at things relatively close to you in 9 power with no blurr. I'm gonna go with the redfeild unless I find out that the sightron sII is better. I did not get to see one of those today.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2010, 02:19:34 PM »
All that is adjustable on the 3200.  Just turn the ocular.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »
After reading from the Redfield website, I would be inclined to try the 2-7x33mm with accutrac. Seems the real deal with the warranty as expressed.

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2010, 02:34:51 PM »
yeah swampman, I figured as much, but the red didn't need any adjusting and that would be better for me in the field.

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2010, 02:43:19 PM »
The sightron sII has what they call exact track. Which looks (on there websight ) to be a very good idea. Thats the feature That makes me want the sightron, any comments on that?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »
yeah swampman, I figured as much, but the red didn't need any adjusting and that would be better for me in the field.

I don't think you understand.  On the Bushnell it's designed to be adjusted by turning the ocular.  On the other 2 it's not.

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2010, 03:41:08 PM »
The ocular on the Leupolds I have adjusts to focus the reticle.  Just undo the locking ring and screw the eyepiece in or out until the crosshairs are sharp.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »
The Bushnells don't have a locking ring.  They are fully adjustable.

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2010, 04:49:11 PM »
Let me try again, The redfield covered a larger range ( yardage from scope ) before any adjustment was needed. I never looked at the thing to see if it was even adjustable, because no matter what I looked at it was sharp and clear from 5 ft. to @ 75 yds. even when on a higher power setting.  The 3200 was clear @ 75 yds, but not at 10 yds. now I don't know about longer ranges with the red, but to @ 75 yds it was awesome. I know the 3200 is FULLY adjustable, I had an ncstar 6-24x50 on an odd-6 that was too, and it needed it for 2&300 yds. but in NORTHERN Wisconsin, I don't get that kind of shooting in to much. Too many trees. My point was that inside 100 yds, especially very close shots, I Think the red would be better for me than a 3200.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2010, 12:51:14 AM »
The Bushnell's don't have a locking ring.  They are fully adjustable.
Swampie,
 This is something that is commonly brought up, but whats the big deal? Most all scopes have an adjustment for their focus of their cross-hairs. Some do it with a threaded ocular and a lock ring, others with a movable len's and no lock ring. The latter can get bumped/move and will cause it to be readjusted, possibly at inopportune times. But BOTH are FULLY ADJUSTABLE! I choose one that stays adjusted!!!

When you first mount the scope, you mount it on the firearm, you go to the range to site it in. You sit down and look thru the scope at the target... On the Leupold, you loosen the lock ring, turn the ocular to set, again lock the ring and... NEVER have to touch it again???

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way putting down Bushnell. They make an excellent product that satisfies many, many people, I simply prefer Leupold. As I have said before, I have many scopes and I have owned most manufacturers thru the years. I even have a couple Bushnell's, a 3200 and a couple Trophy Turkey scopes. They work fine. But IMHO the trophy's are not well suited for H&R rifles. I have a couple cheaper japanese scopes on rim-fires and they too have worked fine for me. But non of these are anything I would rely upon when it truly matters. Like a deer hunt far from home, for these I choose Leupold.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2010, 01:21:16 AM »
Gold standard of American scopes = U. S. Optics

A lot of Nightforce products are assembled here in the states as well, but parts are sourced from Japan.

Leupold makes a good scope, but there are a few out there that are better, cost comes with that though.

Offline blacksan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2010, 01:42:40 AM »
Gold standard of American scopes = U. S. Optics

US Optics does make fine glass, but I was even more impressed with Premier Reticle optics. As far as real-world glass is concerned I was totally blown away by the Swarovski Z6. It's impossible to describe just how fantastic it is looking through these scopes. It makes me feel like I'm looking through a cardboard tube covered with plastic wrap on both ends when I picked up one of my VX III's. On the binocular side of the equation I also recently tried a pair of EDG binoculars and all I can say is, OMG!!!!  :o :o :o :o I know this stuff is really not a reality for most of us, but you owe yourself the opportunity to peer through the Z6 and EDG offerings at some point. Well, maybe not because you'll be considering all sort of stupid stuff to add them to your stash.............  ;D

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2010, 09:10:53 AM »
A good read, Redfield Renaissance in Shooting Times at Redfield.com In low light I wondered why I could hardly tell any low light difference in my new Redfield and a Nikon Monarch. In the Shooting Times artical it says the new Redfield has light transmission in the lower 90's. Thats not far from the Monarch's 95.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte