Author Topic: First timer's handgun  (Read 776 times)

Offline billmaly

• Trade Count: (0)
First timer's handgun
« on: November 10, 2003, 07:24:14 AM »
A friend recently came to me for advice on a good first time handgun. He thinks he wants an automatic.

He has smaller hands, and would mostly want the gun for plinking. I suggested the Springfield Armory XD series, Ruger P series, and too take a look at Taurus. I'm a revolver guy so far, so I wasn't able to offer a lot of advice.

I'll drag him to a gunshow this weekend so he can look around and pick up several different models/styles.

What others are out there that he could/should look at. I'm trying to steer him to a revolver as it's simpler to get into handgunning with that, but I'm not sure how interested he is in that route.

Offline kciH

• Contributor
First timer's handgun
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 08:20:46 AM »
As Cknight stated, he'd be best served by a .22 if he actually wants to learn to shoot a handgun.  If he just wants to use the gun for plinking, and possible small game hunting, the .22 is all that's needed.  If it's in the budget, take a look at the Sig Trailside .22, the additional cost is well warranted over the Rugers.  Nothing wrong with Rugers, the Sig is just a much better gun as it comes out of the box.

Offline SBF

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.members.cox.net/cruffler
First timer's handgun
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 09:51:31 AM »
I also agree that a .22 would be a good first handgun although I also know that some folks would rather have a large caliber.  If you could take your friend to a local range that may rent firearms to try a few different ones out.  Guns are very personal purchases (as we all know) and one size doesn't fit all.  What ever he decides to purchase caliber wise please make sure he gets a quality firearm for his first.  Nothing is more discouraging to a new shooter than a firearm that doesn't perform to their expectations.
SmallBoreFreak and Cruffler

Offline Questor

First timer's handgun
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 10:28:20 AM »
Plinking is a kind of target shooting, so something decent with adjustable sights will be best.  I think Kcih has a good idea. That's a good gun at a good price. It doesn't seem to stand up to heavy competition shooting, unless they've improved it, but it has good sights, a good trigger, and is reliable with cheap ammo.
Safety first

Offline carolcann

First timer's handgun
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 11:55:29 AM »
Sounds like he wants a "movie gun", not particuarly interested in learning the right way to shoot/handle a handgun? A revolver is the way to go, preferrably a .22LR. He'll get much more enjoyment and experience with that route than any of those TV show guns (black autoloaders).

Let us know how this person chooses, eh?

Offline BBQ Warrior

First timer's handgun
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2003, 02:19:49 PM »
well I would recommend the ruger gp100 357mag with 6" barrel or the Taurus 357 mag w/compensated 6" barrel.

These guns are accurate, 38spcl rounds are cheap and plentiful, a good starter pistol round.  And if he ever decides to hunt with it, the 357 is legal in most states.

just my 2cents

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
First timer's handgun
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 04:39:25 PM »
I personally do not believe that a first handgun should be a 22.  Not sure it should be a 454 Casul either.  There are plenty of handguns without the massive recoil of the big boomers but provide a little more of a thrill than a 22 that are fine to start with.  For a first gun I would look a revolver myself.  By the way, my first handgun was a 35 Rem and I learned shoot pretty good if I do say so myself.

Offline williamlayton

First timer's handgun
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003, 11:27:07 PM »
a few thoughts--a .22, a nra shooters course like is offered in boy scouts and other places. i was lucky, growin up, as all of us kids were taught about guns an aimin an such. we were not jest given a gun a told go figure it out.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ingwenya

Glocks?
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2003, 11:56:17 PM »
I didn't think I saw mention of a Glock. Reliable guns, less safety issues. simple to clean, very accurate. If your buddy can plink down a little money, it may be the best overall choice. Maybe a full size 9mm. I think it is a 19.

Incidentally, is the kick of a .380,.38Spec,9mm..etc.. generally thought of as too much for beginners?

I need to be set straight. What joy should one get to buy a Ruger Mark II (a very accurate gun I might add), shoot ammunition with no recoil at all, and then revel in amazement that I pointed at the targets and hit them? It is my understanding that shooters flinch when shooting a caliber that is stronger than what they are used to. For example, if you are used to shooting a .38 Sp and then fire a .454 Casull, you will flinch on the second shot. Likewise if you get used to a .22 then fire a .357 Mag, you will probably flinch on the second shot. Start with a practical round, and put it to use. Normally, decent ammunition is so cheap for a 9mm, I cant even justify loading plinking rounds.

The comments I offered seem to differ with most of the posts, no disrespct intended. I just offer my honest opinion.
"Too many freaks, not enough circuses."

Offline Savage

First timer's handgun
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 07:10:31 AM »
I think the last post was good adivice. For a lot of people one handgun is all they ever own. If that's the case, that handgun should be something that is cheap enough to plink with, and minimally powerful enough to be used as a defensive tool. This makes it a simple choice, a 9mm in a semi auto or a revolver in .38/.357. You would assume this individual would also want to make a minimal investment as well. In my opinion, the best value for the $ would be the Ruger P series or the Taurus revolver line. If the intent is to carry the auto, I would go with the Kel Tec P-11. All of the above can be had NIB for $300 or less.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,