Author Topic: pre 64 M70 300 HnH  (Read 1081 times)

Offline luciausarmy

• Trade Count: (3)
pre 64 M70 300 HnH
« on: February 27, 2010, 06:50:27 PM »
Ive been looking at a pre 64 model 70 and was wondering the price, Ive gotten many different price estimates so far The gun is selling for 1100 it is a 1954 stock has some wear but no cracks, I would rate it around 80% give or take a few. I know its hard to tell without a pic I'll try and post one If i can fo in again and get one at the store. thanks.

Offline jphendren

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: pre 64 M70 300 HnH
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:48:18 AM »
My advice would be to look for similar rifles that have sold on the various gun auction webpages.  This will give you a good idea of what the market will bear for said rifle.  As an aside, pre-64 Model 70's are excellent rifles.  I've owned three of them, of which I still own two.  They are very smooth, and shoot very accurately.

Jared

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:29:09 AM »
If it really is an "80%" gun, then I would be cautious. I guess it depends on WHY you're buying it? If you're good with the overall condition, and are looking for something to hunt with, that's one thing. But if you're looking at it as something to be worth a certain value later, as if a return on an "investment", I would pass.

An 80% rifle is not going to hold much collectors value if you're ever thinking about resale. If you have it restored, it's not going to hold much collector value because it's not original.

If you're just buying it for a hunting rifle, and it looks good to you, then buy it. I hope you reload though, 300 H&H is pretty hard to find on most gunstore ammo shelves.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 02:27:47 PM »
If you want a hunting rifle in a pre-64 model 70 I believe the 300H&H is one of the best for a reloader. They feed excelent and usually shoot most loads well.

However it will be a long time before a 80% gun gaines much in value. It is a very usable gun though for a hunter.

JMO, Regards
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline luciausarmy

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:17:42 PM »
I was looking into getting it for more of an "investment" wasnt really interested in hunting with it I have plenty of other rifles for that. thanks for the input

Offline Savage_99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 05:59:19 AM »
Without some pictures or more description is not easy to tell what an 80% gun is to you or I?

As we know pre 64 M70 prices are high and the 300 HH's are even higher. 

Has the stock been cut or does it have the original pad?  Any other 'modifications' to an original? 

If one does not have a pre 64 and wants one and has $1100 what the heck, get one!

Here is one on Gunbroker for big bucks.  While I have one it has a pad.  I see no pad on this one?  I thought the pre 64 M70 300 HH's and .375's came with a pad?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160439769

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 08:54:53 AM »

If you are ever thinking of purchasing an antique or collectible firearm for an investment, then there is one simple iron-clad rule: Buy the highest condition that you can possibly afford.  The ones in the highest condition are the ones that rise the fastest and highest in value, and also become rarer every year.  (Gun collecting has become an international hobby now, and mega-millionaires are buying up everything nice and putting them away in their private collections forever.  And, with each passing year, more and more guns are damaged by accident, exposure and abuse.)

A pre-64 Winchester in 80% condition is simply not in the category of a collectible firearm.  You would not make any money on it for a long long time, and even then, it wouldn't be much.  Lots of folks wouldn't even buy it as a shooter.  It might make an excellent project gun, if you wanted to refinish, reblue and restore it.  This would of course destroy its value as a collector, but would result in a nice shooter.  However, I wouldn't pay more than $900 for it on that basis.

Hope this helps.

Mannyrock

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 08:06:56 AM »
With gun collecting booming and guys like turnbull restoring guns using processes and techniches used when they were made lower grade guns are growing steadily in value. An 80% gun well maintained and resold in 10 years will produce a growth in excess of what any money market would.. Or just buy yourself a fine hunting rifle. Use it with care and maintain it carefully and your kids will get an enormass amount for their dad's old deer rifle.. The thing that's making the mint condition rifles worth soooooo much is increasing the value of lesser condition weapons also. I usually buy and many times hunt with refinished M70's. They are great rifles and I used to buy them cheap, 'refinishing killed the collector value'. A 257 Roberts($400), an undrilled 300 H&H($600), even a featherweight in 243($450), even a 220 Swift($350).. All purchased as needing repair or had been refinished.. I've killed several deer with the 257 and it's gone well up in value, try to buy one.. My 300 doesn't have the drilled and tapped rear bridge, common only to the magnum rifles in the M70. I won't drill and tap it but likely will make a mount utilizing the receiver sight holes and the already drilled front ring,, Would make a great deer/elk rifle..
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."