Author Topic: Hogs and knifes  (Read 3514 times)

Offline kently45

• Trade Count: (14)
Hogs and knifes
« on: February 28, 2010, 04:14:04 AM »
Thinking about hunting with a knife and have know idea about what knifes to use. Any help , please ? Thanks kently

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Hogs and knifes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 05:32:37 AM »
Sounds suicidal.  I have heard of people doing it but these are tough animals.  Pound for Pound they are twice as strong as you are.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 06:34:41 AM »
I have some friends just across the river that hunt with bowie knives only.  They run the hogs to bay with mountain curs, and then turn a pit bull in to make the catch. While the pit is latched onto the boar, they go in and stab him to death. Occasionally they get cut a little bit.
With the diseases that a hog carries I won't even dress them with out gloves. A split cuticle on the finger and hog blood could mean Pseudo Rabies. No thanks. I'll leave the knife in the sheath until the gun powder smoke clears.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:56:25 AM »
Thinking about hunting with a knife and have know idea about what knifes to use. Any help , please ? Thanks kently
Its simple.....you bait up an area below your treestand and wait til the porker comes in to eat.    When he has his head towards the ground sucking up corn you jump out of your treestand with your knive unsheathed,  onto his back.   When your impact knocks him to the ground simply slide the knife from behind the shoulder forward into the heart area.  The hog will not move as he will be stunned from you jumping on his back and will bleed out right there.   

Of course there are other ways to get seriously injured, maimed or killed too.   This is just one of them.   

I would never hunt a hog with a knife. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline Dee

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 05:03:56 AM »
gstewaqrt44, while you description to hog hunting with a knife is both colorful and exciting, it as you say, dangerous. I think he would be better served if he used the HALO method. In high altitude, low opening, he simply free falls the first 20,000 feet, and opens at say 20 feet, giving him time to position himself directly above the hog. Of course trees in the immediate area could cause minor problems. But it is much more stealthier than tromping across the open area between stand, and target. Your method is much less effective, while using my method, even if the chute doesn't open, the impact will most likely kill the hog.

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 05:27:16 AM »
gstewaqrt44, while you description to hog hunting with a knife is both colorful and exciting, it as you say, dangerous. I think he would be better served if he used the HALO method. In high altitude, low opening, he simply free falls the first 20,000 feet, and opens at say 20 feet, giving him time to position himself directly above the hog. Of course trees in the immediate area could cause minor problems. But it is much more stealthier than tromping across the open area between stand, and target. Your method is much less effective, while using my method, even if the chute doesn't open, the impact will most likely kill the hog.
:D ;D :) :D ;D  I'm still laughing Dee - Thanks for making my Monday morning!!!
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 07:29:01 AM »
I won't even dispatch a wounded animal with a knife if he still has any fight left in him.  Bullets are cheap.  Stitches aren't.

Offline Dee

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:40:18 AM »
I could never stab a wounded animal. This is the 21st Century, and folks need to be more civilized. If my shot doesn't kill the animal, I simply choke them to death. It's quiter, and saves on the ever increasing cost of ammo. Also, it shows the animal that I truly am in charge of the situation, right up to the end. Of course I use rubber gloves, as everyone knows, wild animals carry all kinds of diseases.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:53:51 AM »
I choked a 23 lb turkey to death once kinda  . Shot it with a 30 carbine when it flew over my head . Hit it in the neck ( didn't know that at the time ) only bruised him. It hit the ground at my feet and jumped up . I grabed it and set the rifle beside the tree . That was about the time Mr. turkey decided he wanted a piece of me . I had his neck and somehow managed to get one foot . We rolled around for what seemed like an hour with me squeezing his neck and him trying to rip my bibs off with his free foot . Well we rolled down to the creek and i got his head in the water and it ended . My dad had walked up and was watching and laughing . He looks at me and said why tote the rifle if you are going to wresle um to death .
I have cut deer to finish them off but after putting my foot on a 6 pointers head and him comming up about the same time i like the 38spl. for such now . Never carry a knife to a gun fight !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 08:01:24 AM »
Never carry a knife to a gun fight !
Or to a tusk or antler fight! ;D

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 08:53:09 AM »
A buddy of mine once tried to finish off an injured buck (hit by a car) with his pocket knife.  That buck just worked him over good, then staggered away, stab wounds and all.  This guy looked like he had gone a round in the ring, without gloves.  Good thing he was drunk.

A couple guys from work once hunted/killed a couple wild boar using spears and dogs.  The dog held em by the nose while the hunter darts in with the spear.  I think they got their equipment from Cold Steel.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 10:43:38 AM »
Take the dog out of the equation and the mathmatical formula would be.

hunter+knife+hog=cuts+bruises

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 11:16:25 AM »
Every time I hear of someone wanting to take a wild animal on with a knife I’m reminded of a hunting trip near Mayhill, NM back in the mid-sixties.

One of our hunting partners was a rather large man, about six-eight and near three hundred pounds. He shot a nice mule deer buck that came to rest on a very steep hill side, the deer appeared to be dead, and my friend was dead set on cutting its throat before moving it.  He took his knife out and stepped over the deer, grabbed an antler and leaned over to cut the throat.  The deer jumped up and took off down the hill like a saddle horse, my friend attempting to stab it in the throat as it ran, when all came to a stand still at the base of the hill my friend had two very nasty stabs to his left leg, he lost a serious amount of blood before we could get him to a hospital. As far as I know, he hasn’t been deer hunting since.

Offline Dee

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
See! He should have stepped in front of that buck, bent over, and looked him right in the eye, and choked him to death. He'd still be deer huntin if he had done that. ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 02:18:49 AM »
 I worked with a guy who hunted with a knife in GA. he said the dogs had the hog pennd down and the outfitter handed him a long blade knife and showed him where to stick it .

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 02:37:29 AM »
I've written three versions of responses to this post and deleted them.....I can't even respond.....I'm with Dee.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Dee

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 07:30:54 AM »
I've written three versions of responses to this post and deleted them.....I can't even respond.....I'm with Dee.

;)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 08:35:21 AM »
Killing wild/game animals can be the end of a hunt , sniping or a stunt . To each their own as long as it is legal.

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 01:58:01 PM »
only "knife" I'll try on a hog is the pointy one at the business end of an arrow...a knife without the dogs,as someone above said,equals cuts and bruises...and possibly worse.....if you insist on using a "knife like" weapon,use a spear....at least your head won't be down there with his head,lol
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline Dee

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 02:06:41 PM »
Actually if someone wants to kill hogs, or bull elephants for that matter with a knife, I consider it not only their purgative, but darn interesting reading sometimes. Provided the hog or the elephant doesn't end the match too quickly.
It's kinda like the two queers out in Vegas with the cat act. One got mauled real bad. I hope the cat didn't get aids. I mean really. The cat was just being a cat. The queer on the other hand. Well, we already knew he was an idiot didn't we? Before the cat I mean. ???

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 01:58:29 AM »
I didn't think gay's liked
I better not go there .

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »
Read an article a few years ago about a guy hunting hogs with a Bowie Knife.  Sounded suiciadal to me at the time.

Maybe I should not bring this up, someone else might think it is a rush.  I have a friend that hunts hogs with a spear.  Large steel head, on a six foot shaft.  He baits hogs then waits for them to be directly below his stand.  Then he jumps out of the stand, shoving the spear down through the hog.  He keeps talking about what a rush, and how he loves doing it.  Keeps trying to get me to go with him every year.

Now you would expect this guy to be a young man full of testastarone, NO he's just two years younger than me, an old man.  He's nuts!

Now he is talking about doing the same with Black Bears, He's Nuts!!!

He even has a video of him killing a hog with his spear.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Dee

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 08:59:36 AM »
Sourdough, when he does the bear hunt would you please film it. I would like to see that. Also, make a copy for his family. Something to remember him by, so to speak.

Offline Doesniper

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 02:46:55 PM »
I killed my one and only hog with a knife this past Jan. It was with dogs and I can't see doing it any other way of doing it if you hunt with a catch dog. When the dogs have him occupied you grab him by the back leg, lift him slightly and slip the blade in right behind the shoulder. Don't hesitate though, do it quick and don't let go.

Offline B-dog

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »
Here in New zealand it is common practice to kill wild pigs with a knife. Personally I've killed hundreds with a knife, you do it as quickly and humanely as possible.

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 05:09:40 AM »
do you use dogs?....and the original poster wanted to know what kind of a knife is best.
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 06:12:33 AM »
[quote  what kind of a knife is best.
[/quote]

I believe I would be most comfortable with a 16th century Hussar lance ~ 14 ft long .   ;D

Offline Dee

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 06:34:39 AM »
[quote  what kind of a knife is best.

I believe I would be most comfortable with a 16th century Hussar lance ~ 14 ft long .   ;D
[/quote]

how about a 19th century 3030?

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 06:44:11 AM »
Deee...at least "duck tape" on a bayonet....you MUST keep on topic!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline S_J_KENNELS

• Avid Poster
  • I hunt hogs with dogs. Any questions?
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 06:58:56 AM »
For the past 14yrs all I have been doing is mostly killing hogs with my knife. I use a BUCK model 120 or an old bayonet.

Just do it like Doesniper said and you will be alright.
Shane