Author Topic: Is this all I need to build an AR-15?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Is this all I need to build an AR-15?
« on: February 28, 2010, 07:11:06 AM »
I been interested in the AR 15 platform for some time. To buy a full AR 15 can be quit expensive but I been looking around and it seems if you put one together it comes out much cheaper. It looks like with the parts listed below I could build one for under $700.00 delivered. I have a list below of AR 15 items like a complete lower without the butt stock and a complete upper. I just want to know is this all I would need for a copmplete working AR 15. Thanks for the help Dale

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=159350560
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=158750954
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=266795
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Is this all I need to build an AR-15?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:44:23 AM »
If the upper includes the bolt carrier group and a sight I would say yes.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:12:28 AM »
If the upper includes the bolt carrier group and a sight I would say yes.

Yes it does include the bolt carrier and charging handle. If I go with this one I can get the price down to about $650.00 or so delivered. :o ;D Now do you think I would have to buy pins to put the upper and lower together? Dale
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=519542
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 09:36:52 AM »
Mine came with the pins.  Some do, some don't.  I built mine for about $500.  Bought a lower for $225, an upper for $200 without the bolt.  Bought a bolt for about $100.  Put it all together and it fires fine.  You have to buy your lower from a dealer and fill out the paperwork.  The rest you can order or buy from individuals.  Older Colts and Olympics have larger pins than all others.  Bushmaster, Remington, DPMS, all have smaller pins.  Have to be careful with that. 

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 09:45:14 AM »
Yes I have read about Colts having larger pin but I did not know about Olympic also. Thanks for the heads up on that. So I should stay clear of those 2 for sure so I don't have problems. Now I am a little confused about calibers though. Will any caliber AR15 upper fit any AR15 lower? If so then I guess you would buy a AR15 mag for the caliber you own? Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 12:22:46 PM »
For those here that don't know You Tube has a wealth of information on building a AR15 from the ground up. ;D I may be able to get the price of building one down even further from completly building it myself. I really think I might be able to do it from watching the videos there. I am also downloading a couple videos right now on building AR'S from American Gun Institute. Dale

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 02:43:08 PM »
Id watch that lower to me looks like it dont have the back pin to hold the upper on it has the front 1.And i dont see the spring and detint for the the back pin.Unless he has it pushed over to the side,if your interested in this i would email him and ask about back pin.U can buy a stripped DPMS stripped lower from rguns for 125,and a 16 inch complete upper and lower kit from model1sales for 485 and build it yourself thats the cheapest way i think.All that has to go to a ffl is the lower,the upper and lower parts kit comes to your front door.About 2 weeks ago u could get a stripped lower from rguns for 55.00 but i dont c it on there web sight any more,
1 shot 1 kill

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 05:27:50 PM »
Thanks I will check into it. I have spent probably (I am not kidding here) 25 or 30 hours watching and reading everything I can on building AR15's in the past 3 days. :o I am sure I could build a stripped lower without to much problem but it seems I would need to buy several tools I don't have to build the upper. I think I am going to build a lower and order a cheap upper for my first one. Maybe later as I get into it I can buy the special tools needed and build an upper. I have found many stripped lowers for cheap on the net. This makes me want to buy 2 or 3 for future builds now while I still can. :o I am pretty sure if they out law AR'S again you would still be able to buy the parts for the lowers and full uppers. You just would not be able to buy full lower or for that fact stripped lowers then. >:( I am a carpenter and have built things all my life. Well the other day while researching this my daughter come in the room and I told her I was going to build something I never have before. When she looked she said wow :o cool YOU REALLY KNOW HOW TO BUILD A LOT OF THINGS!!! I just kind of laughed under my breath. ;) I will figure it all out in the end. I am still down loading videos from The American Gun Institute. Dale

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 06:11:08 PM »
The upper is built no building on the upper at all, all u have to do is build the lower and slap the upper on it, they say u need special tools i didnt a punch and a little hammer is about all u need, your makeing the build harder than it is  i thought all that tell i got mine and built it, its not hard at all Dale the hardest part of the lower build is the little detints.buy u a cheap stripped lower and go to www.del-ton.com or model1sales.com and buy a complete kit and what barrel length u want, it comes with EVERY thing but the lower.i have built 2 this way,1 kit from del-ton and 1 kit from model1
1 shot 1 kill

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 06:15:23 PM »
Thanks but I think you may have miss understood my post. I am sure I can build a lower with the tools I have but to build a complete upper from a stripped upper I will need special tools. Dale

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 06:38:14 PM »
Y would u want to build a stripped upper? yes u do need a lott of tools for that .your looking a 550 to 600  for a ar if u build the stripped lower and a upper that is all ready build
1 shot 1 kill

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 09:39:01 PM »
Dale   go to the CMMG website and check out their bargin bin.They have 2 models for sale under $600. They have a good reputation  as a good solid firearm at very reasonable prices.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 06:36:24 AM »
I just went there. Wow what a great deal. I hope they still have them when I get some cash together. Dale