Author Topic: opinions on electronic reload scale  (Read 1062 times)

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
opinions on electronic reload scale
« on: March 01, 2010, 03:11:48 AM »
I'm in the market for a portable electronic reloading scale and I am having a hard time determining what to buy.  The scale will make trips to the range for load work-up.  I stopped in Cabella's the other night and I couldn't make a choice.  I looked at scales priced from $ 80.00 to $110.00 from Cabella's house brand, Lyman and RCBS.  There weren't any on display to look at and I peeked inside the boxes as best I could - I didn't get a feeling of confidence from any of them.  Like many others folks, I can't afford to make a poor purchase decision.  I need a scale that is reliable with a life expectancy longer than the 90 day warranty that is customary with electronics.  I welcome all opinions on this.

Thanks!!!

Paul

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: opinions on electronic reload scale
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 03:43:05 AM »
"I need a scale that is reliable with a life expectancy longer than the 90 day warranty that is customary with electronics.  I welcome all opinions on this."

Okay.  My opinion of the life expectancy is reflected in the "90 day warranty".   Get a beam scale.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 03:45:39 AM »
I've had my PACT since the mid-1990s.  Use it every week to load for the weekend and I shoot at leat 3 calibers every weekend....no problems at all.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:16:30 AM »
get a good brand name like pact rcbs or lyman. Some of the cheap ones are junk.
blue lives matter

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:16:18 AM »
I agree with Lloyd. Buy a quality one to start with. However any one can have problems. In electronics life expectancy is usually long. If there is going to be a problem, it will usually rear it's ugly head soon after putting it into service. ESD (electro Static Discharge) has ruined more electronics than any thing else. This is a little spark that jumps from you to the electronic component - it will kill it or severely shorten it's life. As the electronics industry has matured, they have a better understanding of ESD and it's prevention. So if you get a scale run it through a burn in period - leave it on for at least 30 days to see if any components will fail. Chances are, if it makes it through this, you will be good to go.

Personally, the only electronic scale I own is part of a RCBS combo powder measure. I still use a beam scale; I have had for quite some time.

You said that you wanted it for field work at an outside loading bench. "The scale will make trips to the range for load work-up." In my experience an electronic scale or a beam scale, for that manner, is not much good for outdoor use. Any air current will totally mess up your readings. I know boxes have been made to isolate air currents, but they can be a pain in the neck to open the box, weigh a charge, open the box back up to take it out. Next shot - repeat. Most of the people that do load development out doors, use a quality powder thrower. One that has a scale on it. They know a head of time how much powder it will throw at a certain scale reading. These folks rarely push the pressure limits of their cases either. They generally are expensive and they make them last as long as possible. If you really plan on doing load development at the loading bench, just beware of these problems before you start. I know a few that have enclosed trailers, that they do their load developing in. I am lucky in the fact that I have a 100 yard shooting range in my back yard, so I load up a series of loads and go shooting. I can then take down the ones that did not work out. I re-size the necks and try a new load or new bullet in them. Go back outside and do some more shooting. I continue to do this until I hit the magic load. I can usually do this in an afternoon, if the gun is not real picky.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 11:58:37 AM »
Bought a RCBS electronic when they first came out, in the '80's. Paid almost $300 back then for it. Was casting bullets in the fireplace in my basement. Needed something faster than my Lyman balance beam. Never regreted it. Had one trouble with it. AC adaptor went bad on it a couple years after I had it. Called RCBS, women told me to send it back. Just for giggles, went to a Radio Shack store, and tried to match it locally. Was politley, and smartly told by the manager, you don't want to mix adaptors. Even thou they had a close match as far as output, he said you don't want to do that. So, sent it back, they sent me a new one. Been plugged in ever since. Would buy another one in a heartbeat if neccesary. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline KansasPaul

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »
I had thought through the wind/air movement issue and that is what is driving me to buy an electronic scale - I have a beam scale which is great but slow and cumbersome to work with inside a box.  I had thought that it would be easier to tote a small electronic scale than it would be to pack up my beam scale.  I really hadn't given much thought to a measure/powder thrower. I'll take a look at the PACT scale. Thanks for the input.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
 I expect a small portable electronic scale (Frankford arsenal) to arrive on the big brown truck tomorrow, I'll give a report on it after some testing.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline .41 special

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 08:20:07 PM »
I have an RCBS elctronic scale, and dispenser. I have had it approx 3 months. I LOVE it.

Offline KansasPaul

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 01:32:44 PM »
"I have had an RCBS elctronic scale, and dispenser"....

Is this a scale/powder measure combined unit or are these two separate units?  Can the scale be operated on batteries as well as AC? 

Offline kshock

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 12:50:11 PM »
I have the Lyman electronic scale-dispenser combo. I really like it. The only drawback is warmup time. Whatever you choose check out the warmup time as mine has a 30 minute warmup which would be a pain for what you are wanting.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
I just leave it on all the time at Lyman's recommendation,  mine's been on about 2yrs except when I turned the wrong breaker off doing some outlet work! ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 01:11:59 PM »
After over 25 years of loading with a beam scale I broke down and picked up one of the older RCBS combo units made by Pact , I don't think I'll ever go back to the Caveman style of loading again .  ;)

I flat love this thing , while its weighting a charge , I'm seating the bullet on the one before it , we both get done about the same time and the cycle starts over again . It has cut my loading time in half !  ;D 8)

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 01:27:13 PM »
I set my powder measure up about 1-1.5 grains low, if I'm using a stick powder. My powder trickler is on the scale. All I have to do is trickle in a little powder, pour into case. Throw another load and set on the scale. Seat bullet, go back to trickler, bring powder up to right amount, start over. Even with hard to meter powders, 400-500 case's in a setting is no problem. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Rocket Man

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 06:37:46 AM »
I have two beam scales a 505 & 510.  I always felt like I was in the dark ages using them.  Then I purchased a Hornady GS-1500 small enough to fit easily in my gun bag or shirt pocket.   My only problem with it setting it down.  Have you seen my scale?  ::)
Be gentle, kind and carry a really big weapon!

Offline smith85619

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 02:29:40 PM »
I expect a small portable electronic scale (Frankford arsenal) to arrive on the big brown truck tomorrow, I'll give a report on it after some testing.

I have one of those and like it.  It is very accurate.  I always weigh the charge on the beam scale too to double check.  the only thing I don't like is, it turns itself off before I can get another powder charge ready for the next case.  I am looking for one that I can plug up to an outlet and forget about it.
If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 03:20:28 PM »
the small portable battery powered Frankford arsenal scales arrived and i set one up and ran it for a while weighed many bullion coins bullets with and without the tare function many different bullets and other objects were the weight was known and precision weights are maintained and the scales functioned perfectly.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline rugerfan.64

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 09:28:59 AM »
I have a RCBS (Pact) scale,used it for years. I set my powder measure to throw a couple of tenths short and then trickle in the last few tenths of a grain. This has been a good system for me. Just be sure to calibrate it every time you use it. Good luck.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 09:42:31 AM »
I've shared this before, but a good powder thrower (Harrell http://harrellsprec.com/index.php?crn=49&rn=376&action=show_detail) is absolutely reproducible in its settings, and is great with ball or short stick powder.  They are about $80 more than a good electronic, but worth it for WHAT you are doing.

Both electronic and beam scales are not accurate outside when exposed to wind.

The Culver is designed to mount just about anywhere.  Just take a range of readings before you go to the range for the various settings, and that'll allow for any atmospheric anomolies that might occur from day to day. I frankly don't even do that anymore, because the powders I now use don't shift from temperature or humidity.

The throwers last FOREVER!!!!  And will never break.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »
Looks like a little dandy from RCBS but better .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 03:29:06 PM »
I bought one of those cheap Frankfort Arsenal digital scales to sort cases with. That chore is difficult to impossible with a balance beam type like my Lyman scale. I have been calibrating and maintaining lab scales in my job for the last 10 years and I trust a balance beam more than any electronic scale. Make sure it is clean and zeroed and use a check weight and your are good forever.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »
I like the BB and a powder trickler , but then i like to be doing something and not waiting .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !