Author Topic: 223 ruptured case  (Read 500 times)

Offline tmar04

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
223 ruptured case
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:40:11 AM »
what would cause a 223 case to rupture at the base?? I fired some handloads today, and about 3-4 out of a 20 rd box ruptured right at the base. I had loaded them for a 223 rifle I had a few years ago, but they were loaded within limits for contender. H322 25 gr w/55 gr bt Hornady. brass probably been used 3-4 times. thanks to all. shooting a super 16, almost new barrel.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: 223 ruptured case
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 07:52:23 AM »
The Contender has a fully supported chamber, I believe, so I would say the problem was the brass it's self.  Cases stretch, especially in some semi - auto's.  Three or four cycles of firing, then full length resizing could cause case thinning / separation at the webb.  I would purchase new brass for the Contender, and use it in that gun only.  Re-size after each firing just enough for the round to chamber.  You should get a lot better brass life.  If you look at the brass you are using now, you may see a faint, light colored ring around the shell, just up a little on the webb.  That's a sign of case separation / failure.  Another way to tell is to take an empty case, and run a piece of fine wire or coat hanger down the inside of the case.  If you feel a little catch or bump just above the rim, in the webb area, that means it is thinning, and will let go shortly.  A picture would be helpful.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline tmar04

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 11:08:01 AM »
thanks so very much. believe you hit it right on the head. only a few out of box did this so probably not loaded too much powder. will get new brass and try. again, thank you.

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 02:19:42 PM »
Once you have cases fired in your contender set your resize die to just touch the shoulder.   Mark the head with a felt tip colored marker.  Done this way you'll get many reloads and shouldn't ever get a case head seperation. Use them only for that contender.
If you smoke the case shoulder you'll be able to tell when the die has just touched it.
H08

Offline tmar04

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:17:41 AM »
I have a Lee collet die that just resizes the neck enough to hold the bullet. won't that take care of this problem? I am wondering why only a few out of the box ruptured? I use the same settings on all the bullets in this box.Case overall length is within range. could be just a few cases were weak. In my earlier post I said 25 gr of 322. should have been 24, which is less than max. I then fired a box of bullets loaded with 25 gr of Varget and no problem. good accuracy (for an old man).