Author Topic: ATTN! MidwayUSA NO LONGER WANTS OUR BUSINESS ?  (Read 6394 times)

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: ATTN! MidwayUSA NO LONGER WANTS OUR BUSINESS ?
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2010, 09:38:28 AM »
At least they are reading these posts and are aware of how some of their customers feel.
Maybe my phone call did a little good.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2010, 11:23:35 AM »
I spent 3 years selling supplies to the construction industry. I saw the larger customers being a high maintenance pain with little profit in them and wanting a larger discount all the time. This made me little commission and took lots of time.
I CAN SEE MIDWAY"S POINT!
If they sell to you at very little profit, where do they find money to keep the doors open? From the small guy who else? In the end this could help keep their retail prices down.
I really wonder how important $70,000 is to them in the big picture, especially if there is a very small margin.

Offline LONGTOM

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2010, 03:44:01 PM »
70,000 here 40,000 there $$,$$$ somewhere else.
You can bet that those figures will & do make a difference to a CO no matter how larger they are!
MIDWAY is just like WAL-MART, they buy in large enough quantities to demand a discount.
Wonder how they would feel if the COs they buy from dropped their discount just as they did to REED1911?

Small buyers only buy when they need it or once in a while.
Whole-sellers or jobbers will buy year round and take even more during your off season if the price is right.
This does 3 things.
1-It helps keep your CO going when things are slow
2-It helps the whole-seller because he gets a little more price break
3-When things are in higher demand the whole-seller has more on hand.

That is the way I buy from my trailer COs.
Horse trailers are more of a spring through fall season.
In the winter very few dealers will buy because they don't want to tie up their money that long.
I am just the opposite.
I will buy more in the dead of winter even though I don't need them as long as I get a little bigger discount.
Then in the spring when all the dealers are wanting trailers and the COs get as much as 15 weeks back order I already have them on hands and ready to sale with no waiting period.
This helps the COs to keep their workers going all winter and also keeps my buying power up with them.

LONGTOM
NAHC Life Member
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline jumpsteady

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2010, 05:23:15 PM »
This is really to bad. I really liked Midway. Guess I will have to start shopping around a little.
Charter Member, Sons of the American Legion, Post 421 Topeka, Kansas

Charter Member, American Legion Riders, Post 421 Topeka, Kansas

Offline buffalo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2010, 05:36:48 PM »
I just can't understand why a person who has been happy with the way Midway has treated them would elect not to use them  because of a lot of internet hearsay. Can't say I would do that. I might watch it a little closer but I like to  doing  business with people I have dealt with before.

Offline jumpsteady

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2010, 05:42:30 PM »
I just can't understand why a person who has been happy with the way Midway has treated them would elect not to use them  because of a lot of internet hearsay. Can't say I would do that. I might watch it a little closer but I like to  doing  business with people I have dealt with before.

If that was referred to me, it is because I am doing business with Mr. Reed and am not going to support Midway if they aren't going to support somebody that has went out of his way to help me.
Charter Member, Sons of the American Legion, Post 421 Topeka, Kansas

Charter Member, American Legion Riders, Post 421 Topeka, Kansas

Offline Rutin2tin

• Avid Poster
  • "No Gnuws is good Gnuws"~ Gary Gnu
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2010, 06:31:58 PM »
I must be the black sheep here, and no....I'm in not in anyway related to the Potterfield clan. I've never had an issue with midway which wasn't easily resolved with a phone call.
Their email, like most companies listing an email addy, is just about useless, however, customer service was always responsive via telephone.

Mid-south is another company which I've purchased from, and their service was excellent, as was Cabela's, Starline, and Powder Valley.
I have not ordered from Gary Olen in decades, and I sure miss the Gander Mountain catalog sales, as well as Herter's....which succombed back in the mid-70s?
I cannot say that issues have not cropped up from time to time, but all of the mentioned companies have treated Me respectfully, and fairly, plus any issues were always promptly handled.

Perhaps I will look at mid-south shooters' more often, since they are a direct supporter here.

It is.....what it is...

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2010, 03:16:28 PM »
I must be the black sheep here, and no....I'm in not in anyway related to the Potterfield clan. I've never had an issue with midway which wasn't easily resolved with a phone call.

You are not alone. That is why MidwayUSA is a large company. They have good / great customer service and selection and most time prices

Offline Idaho Elk Hunter

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2010, 11:19:05 AM »
Been seeing a few of these bashings. Someone whines and people start hopping on the wagon.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2010, 12:35:26 PM »
I refuse to join in on the Midways USA bashing just because of one person here.

I will continue to use Midways USA as they almost always have what I need. nuff said!
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2010, 01:11:20 PM »
Now after being badgered by user Winchester67 (a MidwayUSA employee BTW) I need to update this post. Have not had the time, but since I had to stop what I was doing to read a PM, and I'm here...

When I posted this original post I also sent an E-mail to Potterfield. His response is below:

I want to start with an apology for the slow response, I had slipped out of the office to attend  the National Wild Turkey Foundation convention and I lost ground on my emails. Eric had contacted me about your case, and he made me rethink my position of “No Websites” to qualify for our dealer program. In your case, it is clear to me that you are not positioning yourself to become the next MidwayUSA and you serve a much different niche. I have had your dealer status reinstated, and I want to apologize for my narrow thinking on this. My people were executing my instructions to the letter, and I should have afforded them some latitude when reading the rules. I hope you will reconsider us as your supplier, as I really do appreciate your business.
Aim Straight,
Larry Potterfield
CEOMidwayUSA
NRA Benefactor Member

I have already re-ordered most of my backorders through other suppliers and will seek them companies out first when placing new orders. I'm happy he took the time to respond, I'm hopeful that my situation may have made him change his policy a bit. I cannot say. I'll certainly consider how I was treated when placing an order. Short of it is I'm bak to my discount, long of it is never should have happened in the first place
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline LONGTOM

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2010, 01:13:40 PM »
I refuse to join in on the Midways USA bashing just because of one person here.

I will continue to use Midways USA as they almost always have what I need. nuff said!

Not hacking on you but it seems to be more than just one person who is dissatisfied with them.

LONGTOM
NAHC Life Member
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member

THOMAS JEFFERSON

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline LONGTOM

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2010, 01:17:16 PM »
Looks like all the posts and phone calls on this subject got someones attention!

Glad they are making it right.
Like you said, shouldn't have happened in the first place.

LONGTOM
NAHC Life Member
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member

THOMAS JEFFERSON

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline LONGTOM

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2010, 01:53:32 PM »
Here is the status of my last order.

07-24-2009        Order Date
Hornady XTP Bullets 44 Caliber (430 Diameter) 300 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 50  X 2
3/29/2010          Expected Date

07-24-2009         Order Date
Hornady XTP Bullets 38 Caliber (357 Diameter) 180 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 100
4/5/2010            Expected Date

07-24-2009          Order Date
Hornady InterLock Bullets 35 Caliber (358 Diameter) 180 Grain Spire Point Single Shot Pistol Box of 100 
4/30/2010           Expected Date

Hornady InterLock Bullets 45 Caliber (458 Diameter) 300 Grain Hollow Point Box of 50  X 3
3/29/2010           Expected Date

Hornady XTP Bullets 45 Caliber (452 Diameter) 250 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 100
4/17/2010           Expected Date

Hard to believe they haven't had any of these in 7 months and still is going to be another month or more!

A very recent email from them states that some of this has come in.
I am not going to pay double shipping so I guess I will have to wait a while longer.

I will not cancel because I want them to live up to their commitment.
I have ordered this exact same order from at least 2 other places and had almost all of them in stock and on my door step with in 2 weeks or less.
What was back ordered was delivered in less than a month.

LONGTOM
NAHC Life Member
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member

THOMAS JEFFERSON

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2010, 03:45:18 PM »
I guess I have never had an issue with backorders at Midway, I order form the websight and if it aint in stock I look elsewhere. But ya know what alot of things that are out of stock at Midway are out of stock everywhere. I am a comparison shopper, I look at all the suppliers I can find and then order on availability and price.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline dorothy daily

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »
has anyone here read where the potterfields just donated $500,00.00 to the nra for youth education in hunting.say what you want, he reinvests in the shooting and hunting sports. whether you like them or not give them their due. and no i am not a blind fan or midway usa or the nra. i do business with one and belong to the other, but do not a have a monogomy relationship with either.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »
Donating money to the NRA doesn't buy anyone points with me. Contrary to popular belief I don't believe they are friends of gun owners, just the opposite really.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2010, 02:11:13 AM »
So, if the NRA isn't the friend of gun owners, then who are they the friends of?

If the NRA isn't our friend, then who is?

Offline OLDHandgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2010, 03:55:47 AM »
PLEASE don't start again with the NRA issue. This is a forum about Midway USA. I know they donate to the NRA. But the last few times this NRA issue got going on Graybeard it turned alot of GOOD people here too turn on one another and it got REALLY UGLY. If you like the NRA fine, and if you don't that's fine too. Let's all stay peaceful. ;D

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2010, 05:01:46 AM »
Now after being badgered by user Winchester67 (a MidwayUSA employee BTW) I need to update this post. Have not had the time, but since I had to stop what I was doing to read a PM, and I'm here...

When I posted this original post I also sent an E-mail to Potterfield. His response is below:

I want to start with an apology for the slow response, I had slipped out of the office to attend  the National Wild Turkey Foundation convention and I lost ground on my emails. Eric had contacted me about your case, and he made me rethink my position of “No Websites” to qualify for our dealer program. In your case, it is clear to me that you are not positioning yourself to become the next MidwayUSA and you serve a much different niche. I have had your dealer status reinstated, and I want to apologize for my narrow thinking on this. My people were executing my instructions to the letter, and I should have afforded them some latitude when reading the rules. I hope you will reconsider us as your supplier, as I really do appreciate your business.
Aim Straight,
Larry Potterfield
CEOMidwayUSA
NRA Benefactor Member

I have already re-ordered most of my backorders through other suppliers and will seek them companies out first when placing new orders. I'm happy he took the time to respond, I'm hopeful that my situation may have made him change his policy a bit. I cannot say. I'll certainly consider how I was treated when placing an order. Short of it is I'm bak to my discount, long of it is never should have happened in the first place

Wow..I agree whole heartily with your sentiments about them. While I have had some issues with them,nothing on the magnitude of your issue. A-lot of people don't understand how these kinds of decisions effects smaller shops who rely on those dealer discounts to be able to supply their customers good deals. Losing a dealer account like yours regardless if it is only doing $5k or $50k business a year is bad publicity for them and a bone head move to keeping the industry alive. Dealerships like yours are closing up everyday to this fubar economic mess we are in,and the major supply houses shouldn't be cutting anyone of the smaller dealers throats,so that only the largest dealerships survive.. While I have never bought from you, I sure as hell don't want to see another source of components die on the vine because of them being afraid of a little competition from you. I wish you well in your business and hope this year is a better one for you than in the past.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2010, 05:08:13 AM »
What I like most about Midway is the rating system. I use it on all my purchases and even when buying from a competitor.

I also like when Larry says thanks for your buisiness at the end of his TV ads.  I know that part seems pretty small to some but being thanked goes a long ways with me.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline texagun

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2010, 05:13:22 AM »
I have initiated several orders with Midway and upon checking out, found out the postage+handling charges+"special handling charges" were MORE than the merchandise cost, so I canceled the order.  Then I would receive an email from Midway asking why I canceled my order.  I would reply referencing the outrageous shipping costs and they would give me the spiel about how much it costs them to ship stuff, yada, yada, yada.  Now the only time I buy from them is when I have a very large order with several items which makes the shipping costs a bit more reasonable.  I prefer Brownells by far.  Regarding Cheaper Than Dirt, I live a few miles from them and they USED to have great prices.  That has changed drastically in the last few years.  Now, they should change their name to "More Expensive Than Crap."  Most of the local guys I know avoid Cheaper Than Dirt at all costs

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2010, 06:48:03 AM »
Donating money to the NRA doesn't buy anyone points with me. Contrary to popular belief I don't believe they are friends of gun owners, just the opposite really.

Give it a rest already Graybeard. Your story is getting old! Stick to the topic!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2010, 07:29:01 AM »
I find it hard to imagine correcting Graybeard on his own website.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2010, 08:40:50 AM »
I find it hard to imagine correcting Graybeard on his own website.

I guess it would be wrong for me to tell Obama that the Healtcare bill is wrong also???????

Graybeard and I have gone back and forth on this issue, I am sure if he had a problem with what I said, he would address me.
I would rather hear it from him and not you. But thanks for your input.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Winchester67

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2010, 11:35:52 AM »
I do work for MidwayUSA, my name is Eric Ellingson. We are all friends here, so I don't have to hide behind a code name. I want to apologize for "badgering" the poster, but when a friend of mine sent me this link I thought a little back story would be appropriate. Dealer qualifications are clearly stated on the MidwayUSA website, and when his renewal came up he was not renewed. We were following policy, and kicked it upstairs to Larry Potterfield for a review of that policy when the customer requested it. Larry looked it over, made the exception that only he could make, and in the meantime this thread had started. I did send an email to the poster asking him to update the forum that an exception was granted. I got no reply, but since I consider myself a "guest" here and don't know the forum members yet, I thought it was appropriate to ask him again before I posted. Thats the extent of the badgering. It seems people are quick to complain on Forums, but a lot of times the follow up falls thru the cracks. The floor people he spoke with could not make the exception; only Larry could. I am sorry it works that way and that Larry can't always speak with everyone directly, but I suspect many forum members here are not their own bosses and they have to follow proceedures at their work as well. The process worked; the case was reviewed and the exception was granted. Again, I am sorry it didn't happen the same day, but I think you will all find we are pretty reasonable here at MidwayUSA. If you ever have a disagreement about the way you were treated on an order, feel free to ask for me and I will see what I can do to solve the problem.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2010, 11:40:59 AM »
I do work for MidwayUSA, my name is Eric Ellingson. We are all friends here, so I don't have to hide behind a code name. I want to apologize for "badgering" the poster, but when a friend of mine sent me this link I thought a little back story would be appropriate. Dealer qualifications are clearly stated on the MidwayUSA website, and when his renewal came up he was not renewed. We were following policy, and kicked it upstairs to Larry Potterfield for a review of that policy when the customer requested it. Larry looked it over, made the exception that only he could make, and in the meantime this thread had started. I did send an email to the poster asking him to update the forum that an exception was granted. I got no reply, but since I consider myself a "guest" here and don't know the forum members yet, I thought it was appropriate to ask him again before I posted. Thats the extent of the badgering. It seems people are quick to complain on Forums, but a lot of times the follow up falls thru the cracks. The floor people he spoke with could not make the exception; only Larry could. I am sorry it works that way and that Larry can't always speak with everyone directly, but I suspect many forum members here are not their own bosses and they have to follow proceedures at their work as well. The process worked; the case was reviewed and the exception was granted. Again, I am sorry it didn't happen the same day, but I think you will all find we are pretty reasonable here at MidwayUSA. If you ever have a disagreement about the way you were treated on an order, feel free to ask for me and I will see what I can do to solve the problem.

Eric , thanks for the response , your right about having to follow the rules even though we don't always agree .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline texagun

« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2010, 12:01:24 PM »
Thanks for the response and the explanation Eric.  Good to have you onboard.  I hope your 1st post won't be your last.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2010, 12:13:01 PM »
Thanks for the response and the explanation Eric.  Good to have you onboard.  I hope your 1st post won't be your last.
I second this! 
I had some Complaints for you . But after thinking it over.  Most of them are Petty and not worth Bringing up..  I have mentioned them to you all Before.  What is IS.  enough said...
Hope you stick around and put your Cents In with ours..   One of these days, we will have a dollar. ;D   

Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »
Good to have you onboard Eric and thank you for letting us know you are here. I myself like to know there is still a company out there that has someone that can make exceptions to a policy for a company. I'm sure there is no one here that would want Midway to be like a phone or cable company that has no one person that is accountable in the end. I have done buisiness on a small level for years and plan to stay a customer in the future.

BTW tell Larry that him thanking me for my buisiness at the end of his commercials holds alot of weight with me.