Author Topic: scope mounting questions  (Read 620 times)

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
scope mounting questions
« on: March 01, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »
 hello all

my questions are
  when you mount a scope dose it matter? 
 i like to use adjustable mounts and adjust the scope to the gun not adjust scope on the gun or to the gun. dose this matter when you chance the power settings (4 -12)?  any help or input would be helpful.

thanks
                                                          rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: scope mounting questions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »
I do the same; center the windage and elevation on the scope, and then adjust the mounts L/R as close as possible.
Point of Impact is not supposed to change through the range of the power settings, but it does on some scopes.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »
Back in my day, ( I`m an old guy) the redfield mounts were the way to go. For 1 thing the way no such thing as constant center cross hairs and useing the mounts to center the cross hairs just made it alot eaiser. Also there were alot of hunting guns made on the military action of WW11 and on some of these the mounts were not line up with bore center. With the quality control on todays gun I don`t think the adjustable mounts are really nessary though.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 05:35:54 PM »
The ONLY way I'll use the windage adjustable mounts on a gun is if that's the ONLY type base/ring available for it. If you want to be able to center the crosshairs and do most of the adjustment with the rings buy some Burris Signature rings and offset inserts. You can come dang close to dead center with them if you play around enough with the offset inserts and use darn little of the scope's adjustments. Still you are mostly kidding yourself if you think that matters unless you are using over 75% of the adjustment in any given direction.

The old Redfield patent is the weakest possible type of mounting system and puts undue stress on scope tubes. Why do you think so many used scopes have those ugly ring marks?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 01:32:37 PM »
thanks for your thoughts. i am hopeing  to find a cure for not hitting  the same spot.   my h&r hits good at 100yrds  on 12 power. then from the same bench rest on 10, 8, 6, and so on it slowly moves farther to the left about .25 inch  on 8  and.50 at 6 almost 1.25 inch on 2 power. maybe normal but i still want bulls eyes.    the scope is a 4x14  n.b.s. shooters edge. i  would like to shoot on a team so performance is my concern. im thinking redfeild or nikon might be a better choise.

thank you rw     

A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 02:25:28 PM »
I have the Burris Signature Zee rings on a rifle and used the offset inserts to get the scope close to center to the rifle with the scope reticle centered. I used a laser bore sighter to set the scope close to center zero and then used the scope's adjustment to get the rifle fully dialed in. I used an offset ring in both rings.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 04:07:59 PM »
thanks for your thoughts. i am hopeing  to find a cure for not hitting  the same spot.   my h&r hits good at 100yrds  on 12 power. then from the same bench rest on 10, 8, 6, and so on it slowly moves farther to the left about .25 inch  on 8  and.50 at 6 almost 1.25 inch on 2 power. maybe normal but i still want bulls eyes.    the scope is a 4x14  n.b.s. shooters edge. i  would like to shoot on a team so performance is my concern. im thinking redfeild or nikon might be a better choise.

thank you rw                                                    

You have a scope problem, not a scope mount problem, either get the scope fixed, or replace it.

DM

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 04:04:18 AM »
One argument for a fixed power.  I think it could be either the scope or the mounts.  If you have scope alignment  rods available you could check the mounts.  If not a solid rod of the correct diameter will work.  Are you using a one or two piece base?  I would start with the mounts.  Cheapest fix.   
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 04:30:06 AM »
Just my opinion here, but I agree your problem may be the scope not the mount.

Cheaper variable scopes will exhibit the zero shift as your experiencing. Obviously a fixed power scope will not and with fewer moving parts will be more durable. BUT a good quality variable is a good stable scope that will hold zero thru out its range.

While I agree with Bill that the Redfield mounting system is not the strongest, it is adequate. It doesn't cause ring marks or bent tubes if used correctly.. DON'T turn the front ring in with the scope!! Mount the ring with a ring wrench or soft 1" dia. rod. The with a scope alignment tool, mount the rear ring. Check the scope and be sure that its adjustments are centered as well. THEN mount the scope.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.