Author Topic: favorite 9mm self defense round  (Read 1495 times)

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
favorite 9mm self defense round
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:33:43 PM »
looking for a self defense round for 9mm Glock 19

i'd prefer 115 or 124gr, and either reg p or +p, no +p+, what do you guys like?

Thanks Zack
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: favorite 9mm self defense round
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 02:24:19 AM »
Use whichever you can hit a target with at 7 yards and learn to double tap.  FWIW. I use 124gr hydrashocks.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline amdak

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 02:43:14 AM »
I have gold dots in my glock 26.

Offline Masterblaster1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 04:47:20 AM »
I prefer 147 grain weight myself. Remington Golden Sabers, then Double Tap's gold dot load.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 06:26:30 AM »
I have a magazine full of Speer +p Gold Dots for the normal house breaker, at times I have a magazine loaded with 115-grain Winchester Silvertips.  I was impressed with the Silvertips after shooting a buck in the neck with one.  Retrieved a very nicely mushroomed bullet out of the neck; never tried retrieving a bullet out of flea bitten diggers.

But it is winter and the bad guy might have a heavy navy pea jacket on or a wool mackinaw on.  So I switch to a magazine full of 147-grain hollow points.

The only thing I have killed with the 9MM is the deer with the115-grain Silvertip.  I do not know if the Gold Dots are better, but the box says +p.  Before retirement we could order Federal +p+ ammunition but I never tried them because I switched to the 45 long before.

;) ;)
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 09:28:49 PM »
Winchester 9mm RA9TA 127gr +P+ is the cream of the crop ammo for self defence carry. Federal 124 +P+ follows.  Others have various loads, like Gold Dot, and 147s, but the "125 gr. .357 mag" standards for putting some ass on the ground is only met by 3 bullets- the Win RA9TA; the .357 Sig 125gr. and the 125gr. .357 Mag itself.  Others come close, but you said 9mm.  The 9mm SXT RA9TA load is the same, but much improved "Black Talon" load so condemned by the media years ago.(Note to self: SXT-Same Exact Thing-but they were so color concerned once the black was gone all was ok!) Everyone has their favorites, lots of good choices are out there, just do the math.

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 01:49:21 AM »
The 9mm SXT RA9TA load is the same, but much improved "Black Talon" load so condemned by the media years ago.

Back in the day I thought I remembered those were 147gr. Did they come in more than one weight?

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 07:57:54 PM »
I'm not sure about the 9mm Black Talon from "back in the day".  I was more into reloading back then and Sierra Jacketed Hollow Cavity 9mm loads were my favorite (115gr. @ 1300fps) I didn't really research the Black Talon issue until an article in Shotgun News showcased them and I found a local gunsmith who had some and he wanted $50 a box for 20! Note: He still has them.   I emailed the Winchester LAw Enforcement Ammo Rep, Paul Nowak, and he gave me the history on the Black Talon issue and what was the state of the art today.  SXT and ammo not having the SXT are different. THere have been 2 generations of "Black Talon" upgrades since the original. SXT is NOT real "Black Talon" technology, it is for civilian consumption.  The good stuff is the Ranger LE ONLY ammunition, such as the RA45T (230gr. HP) or the RA45TP, which is the 230 HP +P rounds.

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 02:10:52 AM »
The Sierra Jacketed Hollow Cavity 9mm loads are still a great choice. I believe they are what earned Cor-Bon ammo a top ranking in the middle 1990's or thereabouts.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »
Is the 147gr really necessary for sufficient penetration with heavier clothing, like you'd get in northern winters, or are 124gr up to the job?

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 09:12:07 PM »
Just a Shooter

Interesting question.  As I recall the 9MM 147-grain bullet came about as a result of the Miami shootout between bank robbers armed with a long gun, and starting out with handguns.

Somebody might have some interesting links regarding the effectiveness.  The FBI kicked off the change to the 147-grain bullet but they quickly went to the 10MM, and then the 40 S&W. 

It was not long after Miami that other agencies started issuing the 147-grain bullet.  The loads we got were from Winchester in boxes label for law enforcement only.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 10:14:22 PM »
The mag I carry in my CZ75 has 124gr hydro shocks. My spare mag has the silver tips in it. ---- When I worked at a gun shop in Hawaii I ran across 2 boxes of 357 AP's, sales rep said 357's were the only ones mad. After moving to N. Cal. while working security traded one box off to one of the local PD. officer. At the time they were carrying mod. 66's. They have since gone to 45 ACP's. Everybody on the department wanted to know if I had any more of the Ap's, as they coundent get them any place.

Gun Runner

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »
115 / 124 grain weight hollow points have proven to be the best stoppers in this cartridge.  On the average, +P's add a point or two to the stopping percentage.  The subsonic 147's have clearly proven to be inferior stoppers, compared to the faster, lighter bullets, although that may not hold as true with today's modern bullets that reliably expand at lower velocity.  These days, its getting hard to find a bad bullet.. Just stay away from FMJ for defense use.  And as always, reliable feeding should be your first concern.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 02:56:13 PM »
Siskiyou,

Thanks - I've always liked the way 124gr hydra-shok (and my 124gr reloads) shoot, and just wondered.  Seems like I heard about issues with the 147gr a while back, but that could just be failing memory.  Sure wouldn't want to come up short when it really matters...

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 05:31:30 PM »
I like the 115-grain Silvertip, late generation, the 124-Hydro shok, and I have some 147 grain loads on hand but they are not my first choice.  Part of the conception of the 147-grain was to have a bullet that would penetrate a barrier, and then expand in the bad guy.  Thats asking a lot, kind of the magic bullet which you program to fit the need.

Departments and Agencys determind in most cases what officers carry.  Some are very strict, others allow more leadway.

I went to a 45ACP for most carry on the job, but on occasion I carried my smaller 9.

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 01:02:47 PM »
I will stick with my 357 mag thanks though!!! I shoot 158 grain Semi Jacketed Hollow Points.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 01:06:27 PM »
A .357 mag is a hopped up 9mm and I prefer a 9x23 in a semi-auto--flat nosed lead.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline shot1

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 03:13:34 AM »
6 grans Unique and a 115 Speer Gold Dot. It goes where I aim and is doing around 1250 fps. If 18 rounds from my G-17 won't get the job done I will reload. ;D