Author Topic: Whats going on with H&R/REM  (Read 3830 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Whats going on with H&R/REM
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »
In 2008 I had a muzzleloader barrel fitted to my shotgun sb1 frame for $86 and change.  Last week I inquire about a .357 or 44mag and was in formed $140 plus ins and shipping. What's up with that ?  60% increase?

Well, how about comparing apples and apples!! When you exclude the fitting and shipping fees for your 2008 fitting and include them in the current cost, there's bound to be a be discrepancy!!  ::) The 2007 accessory barrel price list shows the blued Huntsman barrel for $85, fitting was $15, return shipping was $10 for an actual total of $110,  cheap fitting and shipping IMO.  The 357/44mag barrels now are $96, plus $25 fitting, plus $19 return shipping, for a total of $140....plus tax, Gardner never charged tax, Remington does.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 01:12:37 PM »
It could simply be that the guy who was supposed to order up the material for the barrels got sick, couldn't finish his ordering and is now scrambling to make it go. 

Point is, we don't know.  Speculation is a waste of air.

Some of us here are so dark!  Look on the bright side guys.  No one has announced officially that the barrel program is over, so party on.

Just my five cents, no intent to flame anyone.

Cat

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »
No one has announced officially that the barrel program is over, so party on.

CS flat denied it when MSP asked about it, IMO I think there are too many Chicken Littles posting here.  ::)

Tim

Well guys I finally finished up this plastic sight problem. I finally called H&R and got a nice and seemingly well informed young woman named Casey. She says there is no way for them to replace the plastic sights with metal ones and that she had a set in front of her as we spoke. She also said most people liked them(!!!) I politely disagreed and said perhaps they liked the firesight aspect but not the "made out of plastic" part. She agreed there were problems with them staying put and suggested a drop of loctite, AFTER they were sighted in.
She said she had been searching and asking for something to tell customers regarding a replacement that would fit but could only offer that the dovetail is a standard 3/8" and perhaps if the customer purchased a 3/8 sight insert from Williams or some other company they could replace the plastic part.
I asked her the reasoning of using mettl sights on all other open sighted barrels but plastic only on one barrel, the .500 S&W, no real answer, just a company decision, also that many/most liked them. I find that difficult to believe, skewed statistics I guess.
In answer to my direct question, if the company was going to phase out the accessory barrel program, she answered with a resounding NO!!, she said that was a large and important part of thier sales and they were having trouble keeping up with the orders.
So, I am stuck with the crappy plastic rear sight that does not stay in place unless I want to loctite/glue it in position and the compnat seems to be doing well, especially the accessory barrel part.
I will continue my quest for a replacement rear sight for the .500 barrel....<><....:)

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 03:33:38 PM »
Well then, I'll just spread another rumor!  SPRING IS COMING!  It got up to 58* in Billings MT today, snow is leaving fast, short shorts and tank tops are hangin' on the line gettin ready. ;)  I just love spring. :-*  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »
I've had to mow my lawn twice in the last 3 weeks!  ::) :D

Tim

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 04:52:39 PM »
I don't believe that Cerebus got rich by screwing up. The opposite actually, they buy failing companies and successfully repair them. These are growing pains, and H&R will survive, but maybe not as you have always known them.

You mean like they did with Chrysler?  I have trouble dealing with an outfit that shares its name with the guard dog on the gates of hell.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 05:13:29 PM »

Time to get ol' Harri & Richard out. It's really getting deep, er... I mean tall, here too!

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:14 PM »
I've had to mow my lawn twice in the last 3 weeks!  ::) :D

Tim

Tim
 Are you the guy in news? He was pushing his lawnmower in the snow. Said he missed mowing his yard. :D

Lonny

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 04:43:00 AM »
No snow here for quite a while, I wish it was a bit colder, lawn wouldn't grow so fast, but I don't want any part of the eastern weather either, so I'll be happy with what we have, Toms will be gobblin soon with this moderate weather!  ;D

Tim

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 06:10:31 AM »
I prefer to be a 'glass is half full' kind of guy, but Im with you 'Torp.' on not trusting that outfit.
No matter, life has always been a dynamic enterprise......adapt and adjust, it keeps on rollin'.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline huntnm2001

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »
I sent my frame in several months ago to be fitted wth the fluted .204 barrel, which they said they had at the time. I finally heard from them today that they were out of that barrel and i could either choose another or they would send it back. Very poor business practices and customer service if you ask me.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 02:17:37 PM »
What they tell you when you send it in and what Ilion has in stock when they finally get to your frame may be totally different, they don't reserve barrels for acc barrel orders, one of the disadvantages of getting accessory barrel, it's just the way it is, if there were 50 frames waiting to be fitted ahead of you and they only had 49 barrels, you're SOL, they're fitted first come, first serve,  just be glad they called you.  :-\

Tim

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 03:30:40 PM »
IMO they probably lose money on the barrel program.  Americans are a funny bunch.  We want a perfect gun for nothing & we want perfect service for free.  The T/C and Rossi are nothing like the Handi.  The Rossi is junk & the T/C cost 3 times what it's worth.  If you want a Handi in a certain caliber my suggestion is to buy a complete gun......Just my 2 cents......
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 03:16:47 AM »
Even at their current pricing I agree that they probably just break even or lose money. Making complete rifles on the line is the most cost effective, the rest is not. This is why we cant 'order' our car with the features we want like we could in the good old days.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline huntnm2001

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 07:09:56 AM »
So I just got off the phone with customer service and was told that all fluted barrels have been discontinued. I was also told that I could not get the standard 204 barrel either. So they will be sending it back. I guess I will be looking for a barrel on here and try and fit it myself.

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »
I wish they would either get their story straight (use fully informed sales and service personnel), or update their accessory barrel web page.  I called to inquire about fitting a 22 hornet and was told that they are no longer offering the barrel...It is listed right on their accessory barrel page at the new price of $96 dollars.  Which is correct?  Anyway, I bought an entire rifle instead of dealing with the hassle.  I guess, in the end, they won.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 12:42:41 PM »
The Hornet has been discontinued, it's not listed in the 2010 catalog, website has always been out of date with many errors, nothing new there.  :-\

Tim

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 12:50:21 PM »
geeeeze louise - I am glad I got mine while there were still some around.  R&R has 3 more available right now - 247 + shipping.

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2010, 06:15:49 AM »
I sent mine in for a trigger job and a fluted 204 barrel a few weeks back.  Never got a phone call from them asking for my billing info.  I called them a week ago and they said that the fluting machine was broken and was going to down for a very long time.  I asked about the non-fluted barrel in 204 and they were out.  I cancled the barrel order and had them do a trigger job.  Got the action back yesterday and they took way too much off the sear!!!  It's at about 1.5lbs and the sear doesnt grab it all the time.  I'm not too happy with the end product. 
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2010, 06:19:25 AM »
Contact them and make arrangements to have it repaired, ask for a return shipping label to cover shipping, that's very unusual for them to send out an unsafe trigger, normal is 3-3½lb minimum pull weight.  ???

Tim

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2010, 03:04:59 PM »
I was looking on the Remington Site and noticed they have discontinued a lot of calibers across the entire  Remington product line.
Makes me wonder why they are dropping so many in Remington & H&R. I did not notice any on the Marlin Site though.
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »
Doesn't George Soros own Cerebus, the parent company of both Remington and therefore H&R? He is an extreme left winger who hates the USA, the Constitution, and guns and thier ownership by individuals..and a friend of "you know who", and possibly the power behind that same Constitution hater in Washington DC...<><....:(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2010, 04:09:51 PM »
Does seem a little strange that we have all suddenly gone so gun crazy that inventory pretty much across the board has suddenly shrunk way down...Let's not start any conspiracy rumors  ::).  Anyway, I was reading back through the blogs about the Remington M597 17 HMR recall scandal - and it was scandalous.  It is clear that Remington has not always had a fair deal for the consumer foremost in mind lately.  :'(

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2010, 04:13:18 PM »
Doesn't George Soros own Cerebus, the parent company of both Remington and therefore H&R?

Not that I don't believe you, but I sure hope that isn't true. I'd hate to think I helped to put one penny in George Soros' pocket.
Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2010, 04:38:03 PM »
Judging from RR's inventory, H&R is still making firearms, they have a lot more 357mags in stock than last time I checked, no wonder there are no 357 accessory barrels!  :o

Tim

http://rrarms.com/catalog.php?action=1037&brand=H%26R

44 357 mags

13 223 Superlight youths

11 444 wood Handis

10 243 Superlight youths

9 223 Handi-grips

5 45-70s

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2010, 04:48:20 PM »
Does seem a little strange that we have all suddenly gone so gun crazy that inventory pretty much across the board has suddenly shrunk way down...Let's not start any conspiracy rumors  ::).  Anyway, I was reading back through the blogs about the Remington M597 17 HMR recall scandal - and it was scandalous.  It is clear that Remington has not always had a fair deal for the consumer foremost in mind lately.  :'(

BTW Remington is offering a free pick up and rebarrel to .22 Magnum for those M597 17 HMRs.  That's a lot more than Ruger did for the POS .22 Magnums they produced.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline djw

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
Doesn't George Soros own Cerebus, the parent company of both Remington and therefore H&R? He is an extreme left winger who hates the USA, the Constitution, and guns and thier ownership by individuals..and a friend of "you know who", and possibly the power behind that same Constitution hater in Washington DC...<><....:(

I don't believe that Soros, who is all that you said, owns Cerberus Capital Management.  Couldn't find any connection between them except as competitors.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2010, 04:50:21 PM »
I was looking on the Remington Site and noticed they have discontinued a lot of calibers across the entire  Remington product line.
Makes me wonder why they are dropping so many in Remington & H&R. I did not notice any on the Marlin Site though.

If they don't make a profit on the caliber there's no reason to produce them.

Offline djw

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2010, 04:51:13 PM »

BTW Remington is offering a free pick up and rebarrel to .22 Magnum for those M597 17 HMRs.  That's a lot more than Ruger did for the POS .22 Magnums they produced.

That's new. Last I knew they were only offering a credit that only amounted to 50% or so of the original price on these guns.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2010, 04:52:27 PM »
It is new.....Remington fan club members get the info first.