Author Topic: Old H&R shotgun barrel swap?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline HPBTmatch

• Trade Count: (0)
Old H&R shotgun barrel swap?
« on: March 02, 2010, 12:27:12 PM »
G'afternoon Gents,
  I have a H&R .410 shotgun that was built in 1985 (by the serial code).  Since I have utterly no use for a .410 gauge, can I still use this older receiver for a barrel swap?  I'm thinking 44 mag.  I'd assume it's considered an SB1 frame, so anything of higher pressure is out of the question...  I read about folks swapping barrels out here all the time, but haven't run across anyone using a receiver this old.  I hope I can, because this poor thing has been collecting dust for a couple of decades...

Thanks in advance,
-Match

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Old H&R shotgun barrel swap?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 12:48:37 PM »
yes, you can put a .44 Mag barrel on that frame safely. It may or may not fit but it would be safe. Sent you a PM....<><....:)

P.S. Welcome aboard...and just to let you know, that 1985 frame should have a small diameter firing pin (mine does), if anything it would be even better for a .357 or .44 Mag than a shotgun frame with one of the newer large diameter firing pins....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 01:20:23 PM »
You could sell that barrel to someone who has a need for it onthe classifieds here to help offset the cost of the new barrel.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 03:41:39 AM »
I have done it in the past with a new .357 Mag barrel on a Topper frame.  It fit perfectly and worked well.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline HPBTmatch

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 04:45:24 AM »
Thanks for the replys guys.  Now I have something to look forward playing with.  
p.s. - I don't believe the gun has ever been fired.  Having said that, there is a bit of surface rust on the outside of the barrel...not sure if anyone would want to mess with it... I hate selling junk.

-Match

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 06:28:08 AM »
take some 0000 grade steel wool and some light machine oil and give that barrel a good scrubbin' and it may surprise you how good it looks. if it don't come out shiny enough to sell ya ain't out much. my opinion and you're welcome to it. have a good'en neighbor, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline HPBTmatch

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 06:56:33 AM »
Bubba.50,
  Thank you sir for the advice...  I believe I still have some steel wool on the shelf at home and will give that a try tonight.

-Match

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 07:02:04 AM »
just make sure it's 0000 grade or it may scratch the bluing. good luck, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 08:22:46 AM »
an old method was to put oil on the rust on the barrel and rub it with a penny, the copper penny did not scratch the steel barrel or the bluing but it rubs off the rust, then just wipe it down with a rag and re-oil. I have used 4/0 steel wool and gun oil before and it works well. Being on the coast, nearby good boat yards sometimes have bronze wool in stock, which is great for working on guns, both metal and wood. With bronze wool any small pieces left in the finish don't rust in the proximity to salt water and ruin the finish....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley