Author Topic: My first cannon  (Read 1275 times)

Offline LittleBigBoom

• Trade Count: (0)
My first cannon
« on: March 02, 2010, 04:20:52 PM »
Greetings all,

After I got my lathe I was looking for projects, and since I like air-guns I thought "Hmmm, I wounder if I could make a  bb cannon".
And then I found this site... ;D ::)

So I felt I needed to share some pics of my cannon since I read so much here. (thanks all)

It is .75" diameter  with a .23 cal bore. I am working on a brother for this one, but need to find a better way to weld the trunnions.

Tomorrow I will see if I can get a picture of this one in action.

Toby. (little big boom)
There is an elegance in simplicity. There is also simplicity in elegance, but lets make it complicated...

Offline LittleBigBoom

Re: My first cannon
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »
It seems I have to be logged in to view the picture, so I hope you all can see it too...

Toby.
There is an elegance in simplicity. There is also simplicity in elegance, but lets make it complicated...

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 05:13:24 PM »
I think you can't see until you have made 5 posts.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
You have to be logged in to see pictures and post them also, think.

Offline lostintexas

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »
I see the pic and looks like a very nice cannon!

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 06:14:32 PM »
I can see it, and I like what I see! Pretty neat little cannon!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
You will probably find as you get into this hobby that you like to make your cannons models of real pieces.  You can start by looking at the many pictures of cwartillery.org, now hosted by Robinson's Battery.  Once you really are hooked, you can get plan folios from Antique Ordnance Publishers.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 11:59:05 PM »
LBB...welcome to the addiction!!!

Looking forward to seeing those in action pics!!!

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 12:01:39 AM »
LBB...welcome to the forum and to the addiction.

Looks like a nice peice you have created.  If your looking for ways to improve your techniques you have come to the right place.  You will find lots of folks willing to help.

Looking forward to the in action pics.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 12:14:15 AM »
LBB...welcome to the forum and to the addiction.

Looks like a nice peice you have created.  If your looking for ways to improve your techniques you have come to the right place.  You will find lots of folks willing to help.

Looking forward to the in action pics.

YUP   smoke and fire!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 05:30:32 AM »
welcome littlebigboom .nice cannon.Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline LittleBigBoom

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 09:45:20 AM »
Thanks for the complements!

Here are some of the best timed pictures from lunchtime... Best-timed may not mean best angle though...

I will do one more tonight when I can do a longer exposure and maybe catch that elusive flame... ;D

the charge is 1/8th teaspoon fffg behind wadding. The charge for shot works out to just under 1/8th teaspoon.

Enjoy,
Lbb.

Offline LittleBigBoom

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »
You will probably find as you get into this hobby that you like to make your cannons models of real pieces.  You can start by looking at the many pictures of cwartillery.org, now hosted by Robinson's Battery.  Once you really are hooked, you can get plan folios from Antique Ordnance Publishers.

Those are NEAT sites! Fanning the addiction... ;D

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 01:50:31 PM »
Does your camera have a video mode?

The easiest way to capture smoke & fire pics is to shoot video then use something like Windows Movie Maker to convert individual frames into images.

Kitchen utensils are notoriously poor powder measures. I recommend you get an inexpensive adjustable black powder measure. You'll need it, for the next one and the next one and...

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 03:33:14 PM »
I agree with Terry you need a better measure . even a 22 shell casing or something similar could be used .

I am happy to see you are happy because it all goes smoother when you hauled into boat , did you even feel the hook ?  ???

You made the hook ,you sharpened the hook , you baited the hook and you swallowed it your ownself .

That shows uncommon devotion and dedication to   the way  of the gun . You will go far . IMHO 

good work ;D

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 07:25:40 PM »
Caught himself a big one! Himself! LOL Very descriptive, Gary!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline LittleBigBoom

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 09:54:07 AM »
I agree with Terry you need a better measure . even a 22 shell casing or something similar could be used .

I am happy to see you are happy because it all goes smoother when you hauled into boat , did you even feel the hook ?  ???

You made the hook ,you sharpened the hook , you baited the hook and you swallowed it your ownself .

That shows uncommon devotion and dedication to   the way  of the gun . You will go far . IMHO 

good work ;D

Gary

I've been caught?! :o ... ::) ;D

Using the video method I was able to get these two. They are as large as I could make them, but they are still low res...
Playing it back slow on the computer is also fun... ;D

I will see if the hardware store has a powder measure. I think I saw one there...

LBB

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 06:03:59 AM »
Interesting , Cute little fellow .
Trunion caps not needed to hold it in base ?
Lee makes a set of powder dippers , as mentioned , old brass cartridge cases make good measures .
If you have access to a powder scale you can file a cartridge case to exact charge you need. 
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline LittleBigBoom

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 05:53:13 AM »
Interesting , Cute little fellow .
Trunion caps not needed to hold it in base ?
Lee makes a set of powder dippers , as mentioned , old brass cartridge cases make good measures .
If you have access to a powder scale you can file a cartridge case to exact charge you need. 

Well he (or she?) is a prototype and I am working on two others, one of which is the final version, which is all "decorated"...

The base is a "test base" I made so I can just drop a cannon in and go, so I filed he trunnion holders extra deep. Works nice for testing.

As for the charge I was looking at the graph for powder charges and it looks like the maximum safe charge is 20 grain for a salute charge. So I cut it down to 7 grain using our science scale. 7 grain seems like a nice charge when fired.

Here are the three measures:
7 grain .45 gram
17 grain 1.1 grams
20 grain 1.3 grams

I'll have look into a nicer scoop too.

LBB.