Author Topic: How "Safe" do you require your CC Pistol to be?  (Read 3040 times)

Offline rybo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How "Safe" do you require your CC Pistol to be?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 02:41:20 PM »
Mine either have no safety(revolver, keltecs) or I leave it off on a DAO pistol.
1911 is cocked & locked.
Insert funny/sarcastic/philosophical/witty saying here.

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 10:42:25 AM »
Mine either have no safety(revolver, keltecs) or I leave it off on a DAO pistol.
1911 is cocked & locked.

I too have and carry both revolvers (i.e. Robert 357 is for 357 Mag revolver like my Ruger Security Six) and KelTec's (there is a KelTec PF-9 in my pocket at the moment, and a P3-AT in my gun safe).  I feel "fully loaded and ready to fire" is fine with either a DA Revlover (hammer down with transfer bar and flat-faced hammer, like on my Ruger Security Six) or a KelTec (like my PF-9).

There are a bunch of DA Revolvers with pointy firing pins on the hammer that I would worry about in some situations.

While there are some DAO semi-autos that I would not hessitate to carry with the safety off, there are others where it would scare the hell out of me.

A cocked and locked M1911-A1 with a titanium firing pin, doesn't really scare me, nor does a Colt 1911-MK 4 Series 80. But other 1911's have been recorded as producing Accidental Discharges when dropped muzzle first (my KelTec PF-9 has a spring between the firing pin and the breach face).

I will say it again, I don't think one should generalize.  It really depends on the specific firearm and what keeps the firing pin from hitting the primer, if something "bad" happens.  Ultimately, it is up to the owner of the weapon to understand the basic mechanical function of their firearm.

It is that "knowlege" that establishes what is safe-enough.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 01:07:48 PM »
smith  357  640  centinial
conceald  hammer......DAO

added a pocket holster last year.......better condealment./more triger security/ga  law....i visit there alot
also  NOTHING  else  goes in that pocket
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Frank V

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 05:51:14 PM »
Most revolvers don't have safties.  ;D ;D ;D
Frank
" U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 07:40:17 AM »
that's cause ya got to cock um to fire um . Single action ya thumb cock . Double action ya can thumb cock some and finger cock all . Think about it  ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010, 08:42:19 AM »
Most revolvers don't have safties.  ;D ;D ;D
Frank
Both Smith and Wesson, and Colt have safety bars that block the hammer should the revolver be dropped. If the trigger is not fully depressed on either the Smith or the Colt, they will not fire.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 02:49:49 AM »
Let us not forget the keyed action lock in use today on many revolver brands

Offline Dee

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 02:51:40 AM »
SHOOTALL, that would be called a lock, not a safety, don't you think?
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 05:16:06 AM »
How much safer can a gun be than when locked ? You need to leave your weapon unattended leave it locked . Like when i travel etc.
 But it is a lock used as a safety device much like a transfer bar is a safety device , much like the brain should be a safety devive but oftem fails to be so.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 05:42:29 PM »
I have weapons at several locations in my home, all loaded, a round chambered, ready to grab and fire.  Of course they are unattended most of the time, but an unloaded gun or a gun locked with a key is useless.  However, no kids are here anymore, no strangers.  I'm fairly inhospitable to visitors.  I have to know in advance they're coming, or they don't come in. I reckon that's why I've got few friends.  Paranoid, probably.  See the worst case scenario, probably.   I sometimes wish my life had been "milder," or that I had chosen another profession.  Anyone else suffer such insecurity?     

Offline Ron/Pa.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »
 I feel comfortable, accidental discharge wise, with my Ruger SP101. It shoots 38 +sp . This is all the recoil I can handle and still shoot accuratly. Just a tad on the heavy side and a little harder to conceal.....

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2010, 03:01:31 AM »
 Nope ! not insecure . Why would I be ? I have a gun !

Offline Savage

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2010, 03:46:32 AM »
I have weapons at several locations in my home, all loaded, a round chambered, ready to grab and fire.  Of course they are unattended most of the time, but an unloaded gun or a gun locked with a key is useless.  However, no kids are here anymore, no strangers.  I'm fairly inhospitable to visitors.  I have to know in advance they're coming, or they don't come in. I reckon that's why I've got few friends.  Paranoid, probably.  See the worst case scenario, probably.   I sometimes wish my life had been "milder," or that I had chosen another profession.  Anyone else suffer such insecurity?      
[/b]

I have to chuckle at that! It pretty much describes my social interactions. Add to that a locked gate to the driveway, with a 5' chain link fence occupied by the two friendly dogs. We won't even talk about any electronic security. Paranoid? Hell no, just world wise!

edit: Wouldn't change my life experiences with anyone I know. It has cost me 3 marriages and given me a lot of scars---(some say mental as well) LOL   It's been a ride, no hurry to see what's next though-- :)

How safe do I require my firearms to be?
I require mine to only fire when the trigger is pulled. A defensive tool is useless in any other condition.
Savage

An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2010, 10:17:21 AM »
Savage, where to you find 5 inch chain link fence and how do you keep your dogs from stepping over it.  ;)  ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Savage

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2010, 12:59:15 PM »
Ok, Brett. Ya got me! Guess I should have kept my finger off the shift key when I hit that character ------  Make that fence 5' or 60"--- 8)
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline cheggie

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »
I have two handguns for CCW, a S&W 642 Airweight and a CZ P07. I believe an appropriately heavy trigger pull is adequate safety. The revolver is a "hammerless", it's always got a DA trigger. The P07 is a DA decocker, it takes a heavy pull to get it going. The hammer is at rest away from the firing pin, and there's another pin block safety. Truthfully  it acts just like the revolver for that first shot. And they can both "second strike" if that line of advertising does something for you.

Interestingly enough, the P07 comes with a safety lever (in a baggie) to replace the decocker - it's convertible between safety and decocker.     

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2010, 02:18:49 AM »
KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER until you want too shoot---then shoot.
It is not rocket science---the trigger finger is the best safety you have.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2010, 08:32:13 AM »
This thread keeps reminding me of the old quote regarding pistol carry " yes it is dangerous, if it weren't I wouldn't carry the thing" . 

Nothing else to add just had to get that outta my head.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2010, 09:42:30 AM »
I would go as far as saying to choose a handgun for carry that can fire if droped is irresponsible in this day and time . All citizens are responsible to carry safely . Not doing so puts others at risk .