Author Topic: Handi/Ultra Varmint/Hunter Questions  (Read 606 times)

Offline DancesWithSquirrels

• Trade Count: (0)
Handi/Ultra Varmint/Hunter Questions
« on: March 04, 2010, 05:05:22 AM »
I looked through the FAQ's and visited the H&R web site and I'm still not real sure I have a complete understanding of certain differences.

I have an Ultra Varmint in .223 with a 24 inch bull barrel.  This is my first and only Handi/Ultra but I am possibly interested in pursuing expansion of that inventory.  What I am curious about is determining my options regarding barrels for what I currently have.  The H&R site does not give me much to choose from in extra barrels.  Here are my questions:

1.  What is the difference between a Handi and an Ultra?  Is it just stocks and cosmetics?

2.  Am I restricted to only using varmint/bull barrels as extras?  That doesn't give me much to choose from.

3.  Can other barrels be fitted perhaps with a different forend?  Can other forends be purchased for other barrel contours?  There seems to be a number of different barrel contours depending on caliber and other factors.

Can somebody share some insight with me?  At this point I am not even sure what other barrels I might want but .308, .44 mag and .45-70 are possibilities.

DWS

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Handi/Ultra Varmint/Hunter Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:18:04 AM »
1.  What is the difference between a Handi and an Ultra?  Is it just stocks and cosmetics?

No difference other than the stock, barrel may be marked Ultra, but that may happen on some Handi barrels too.

2.  Am I restricted to only using varmint/bull barrels as extras?  That doesn't give me much to choose from.

Depending on when your frame was made, you can have any barrel fitted except the 10ga and 12ga USH, if it was made prior to 2000 there are several exceptions that are spelled out in the FAQs build year info.

3.  Can other barrels be fitted perhaps with a different forend?  Can other forends be purchased for other barrel contours?  There seems to be a number of different barrel contours depending on caliber and other factors.

Forends all have the same barrel channel except for a few shotgun forends.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 06:51:46 AM »
Thanks for the quick response.  Your answers were kind of what I expected but I was not 100% sure.  Mine is a 2002 gun so it should be good for almost any barrel.

DWS

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 07:06:35 AM »
It is good for any barrel except for the 10 gauge barrels and the 12 gauge ultra slug hunter barrel. The 12 USH is made out of a 10 gauge blank.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 07:45:17 AM »
It is good for any barrel except for the 10 gauge barrels and the 12 gauge ultra slug hunter barrel. The 12 USH is made out of a 10 gauge blank.

Daman

::)

No difference other than the stock, barrel may be marked Ultra, but that may happen on some Handi barrels too.

Depending on when your frame was made, you can have any barrel fitted except the 10ga and 12ga USH, if it was made prior to 2000 there are several exceptions that are spelled out in the FAQs build year info.

Tim

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:02:09 AM »
I guess my biggest concern was the forend question.  I was afraid that there might be different contours to the forends for different barrel profiles.  I'm not interested in a shotgun barrel of any kind so no sweat there.  I already have the world's greatest shotgun.  ;D

DWS

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:29:41 AM »

Daman

::)

Tim

OOOPS!!!! Sorry Tim. I didn't even realize you had replied. Guess I should have been paying attention. There is a reason your handle is QUICK

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:59:30 AM »
I guess my biggest concern was the forend question.  I was afraid that there might be different contours to the forends for different barrel profiles.  I'm not interested in a shotgun barrel of any kind so no sweat there.  I already have the world's greatest shotgun.  ;D

DWS

You'll find there will be more space around the standard contour barrels and the Superlight is almost lost in the forend, like wearing clothing several sizes to big!! And the bull barrel fills it right up and will take the most sanding to float it.

Tim