Author Topic: stone mortar  (Read 477 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
stone mortar
« on: March 06, 2010, 02:51:37 AM »
 I am looking for information on stone mortars, what they shot, how heavy a ball. powder charge that battles they where used during the civil war. I know there was at least two guns used, and i can take specs. off of an original that i have near my house in yorktown va.

rick bryan
   n-ssa

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: stone mortar
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 05:34:12 AM »
     Rick,   I just dug out my copy of Ordinance and Gunnery, 1862, and it says that:   "The stone mortar is employed in siege operations to precipitate a large mass of stones, or hand-grenades, upon the heads of the enemy in the advanced trenches, or, in like manner, to clear the breach of defenders, preparatory to an assault.  Dimensions, &c.   The diameter of the bore is 16 inches, and it's length is about 1  1/4 times it's diameter.  It's chamber is conical and the charge of powder for 120 pounds of stones is 1  1/2 Lbs; and for fifteen 6-pdr. shells, it is 1 Lb.  It is made of bronze, and mounted on a bed similar to that for a 10-inch mortar."  All this from page 188 along with a note that the stone mortar has been removed from the list of New Cannons.

I have never read of an action where this type of mortar was used, although that is certainly possible.  I also remember a comment from an artillery officer, in that, the employment of this type, loaded with a wicker-basket of short fused, 6-pdr. shells would most certainly be as dangerous for the gun's crew as it was for the enemy!  Think about it!

I believe I saw one at West Point in 2004.

Regards,

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
Re: stone mortar
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 06:15:06 PM »
New meaning to the word 'stoned' ........were they sharp edged rocks or just some ol river rocks .

:D 
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.