Author Topic: Help get me started please  (Read 1179 times)

Offline dahelm

• Trade Count: (0)
Help get me started please
« on: March 06, 2010, 03:45:42 AM »
Guys I'm new here. I just bought a NEF SB2 in .270 from a neighbor. The serial # starts with a NJ.  My first question is. Whats the difference in SB1 and SB2? Secondly,what does the NJ signify in the serial number ? I have been visiting this forum since I purchased the rifle and I am amazed at the following these rifle have. Will this rifle have to be modified if I want additional barrels ? Be patient guys. Like I said. I'm new at this. Thanks!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Help get me started please
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 04:50:05 AM »
 Here ya go, take a look at all the really great info here, it's the faq's and is on the top of the page,,
and welcome to the fever :D 

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.0.html
found elsewhere

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 04:59:56 AM »
Welcome aboard buddy, hold on tight and get ready for a wild and enjoyable ride. These fine little single shots are a tinkerers and shooters dream. They are the erector sets of years gone by and the Legos of the present day for adults who enjoy shooting and working on guns. There is much to learn but it's not difficult and it is fun, after all if it were not the rest of us would not have become addicted.
So pull up a seat, grab a cup of coffee and sit around the campfire with the rest of us. it's a nice place to be and there is always room for one more.
A great way to learn is by reading the discussions in the varied H&R/NEF threads. The FAQ's are the place to go for information, if all else fails, the rest of us are always here for you....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline dahelm

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 05:09:14 AM »
Thanks guys!! I read the FAQ's after I posted. Wouldn't you know it. I can already see that this is going to be addicting.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 05:35:22 AM »

Congrats on getting a Handi..They are a-lot of fun to use and to play around with,because of how many different caliber/stock configurations you can have..Try some of the Federal  Fusion ammo in yours and see how it does..I've had real good luck with using Fusion ammo in any I've owned and it's done pretty good accuracy wise..One other for the 270 is the Speer Nitrex using the Grand Slam bullets..really good ammo for them.A couple of simple reminders..pull all the way thru with the trigger when shooting them..and make sure there is no oil on the shelf or in the chamber..Those are the 2 biggest problems people who have never had one of these little rifles don't check and do..Accuracy can be all over the place if you don't..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 05:38:22 AM »
I like that, Mac.......they should be called LOF (lots o' fun) instead of H&R or NEF.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 05:43:43 AM »
Quote from: dahelm
Guys I'm new here. I just bought a NEF SB2 in .270 from a neighbor. The serial # starts with a NJ.  My first question is. Whats the difference in SB1 and SB2? Secondly,what does the NJ signify in the serial number ? I have been visiting this forum since I purchased the rifle and I am amazed at the following these rifle have. Will this rifle have to be modified if I want additional barrels ? Be patient guys. Like I said. I'm new at this. Thanks!

All that jibberish and no direct answers Dahelm!  Welcome to GBO.

SB2 vs SB1?  The SB2 will handle higher pressure metallic rounds like your .270, where the SB1 handles lower "shotgun-like" pressures.  

The SB2 will take any Handi or H&R barrel that will coincide with the "NJ" time-frame -- with two general exceptions .....  Rimfire barrels only fit (and function on) the Sportster receiver.  period.  

However if you're a tinkerer or wildcatter, frequently the 1-14twist .22WMR HB can be rechambered to handle a variety of rounds like the .218 Bee, .22 Jet, .221 Fireball, etc., etc, ...... any .224 cal rounds not offered by the factory.  Many unique and even strange "rechamberings" have been discussed on GBO.

Of course barrels can be rebored too, at considerably more cost than just a rechambering.

Also any 10ga barrels ONLY fit the 10ga receiver - with ONE EXCEPTION ...... the Ultra Slug Hunter 12gauge is built on a 10ga blank and therefore only fits that receiver!

However ANY OTHER barrel including ALL 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410 barrels will fit and function on an SB2 receiver, whether they just drop on or possibly have to be fitted (and or shimmed).  

BUT THE OPPOSITE is not [necessarily] the case!  (and maybe dangerous?)

Even though H&R offers certain models and "combos" to be had in .357Mag and .44Mag on SB1 receivers ..... usally with a shotgun barrel ......  Actually the .410/.45Colt Survivor uses the same 20" barrel  (with a choke device for shooting shotshells) and is built on an SB1 receiver.

Putting a high pressured round on a "softer" SB1 receiver (not case hardened nor of the stronger metallugy found in the SB2 action), the SB1 might indeed fit and even fire, but I'm betting after a couple of shots will stretch and or loosen the SB1 receiver to the point of ruining it!

That's what would happen with a Contender or G2 frame - versus an Encore frame.  The Contender will handle .30-30 pressures (@40-44K units of pressure) before stretching those frames.

Maybe the SB1 is similar??  

I might be speculating about the SB1, and using anything for what it was NOT designed for is highly discouraged!  I am sure about my comments on the "Contender" however.

EXTRA BARRELS?  The "NJ" prefix or suffix is key to knowing when your receiver was built and if that year falls within the period stipulated as being "safe" and qualified to participate in the Barrel (Accessory) Exchange Program, "YES" you can order extra barrels and have them hand-fitted at the H&R/Remington factory >>>  for the cost of the barrel + a fitting fee + postage both directions.  

Fitting fee used to be $15 if it hasn't gone up.

In a nutshell, "NO" your receiver doesn't need to be modified to take a different or extra barrel (altho a barrel might need to be!).  I've bought 7 or 8 second-hand barrels from members on GBO for my .308 Survivor receiver that immediately fit, with ONLY ONE exception (a .30/06) failed to stay "locked," meaning it was a tad tight (better than a tad "loose" IMO).

You'll need to go into the sticky to find the chart of prefixes and suffixes that denotes the year your receiver was made.

Good luck!

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 06:01:08 AM »
Unless of course Remington screws the whole thing up and they will be no new barrels.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 06:08:01 AM »
Quote from: S.E.Ak
Unless of course Remington screws the whole thing up and they will be no new barrels.

Yeah.  That would be a bust.  Wonder how many here are holding their collective breaths!!??   ???

Offline dahelm

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 06:51:36 AM »
Thanks Cougar!!! That was quite infomative!! In all seriosness <I really appreciate all you guys comments. I've been scouring this forum for 3 days!  I've already learned a lot.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 06:56:34 AM »
Way to go Couger, ya answered his questions. ;)  It's amusing to see some of the answers when people take off on their own tangent. ???  I some times wonder if they have read the whole post, but have to admit I'm guilty of it myself. :-[  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 06:58:56 AM »
I like that, Mac.......they should be called LOF (lots o' fun) instead of H&R or NEF.

I was actually thinking calling them Dandy Handi's, cause they have a wide appeal for different reasons.. ;)

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 07:04:51 AM »
Way to go Couger, ya answered his questions. ;)  It's amusing to see some of the answers when people take off on their own tangent. ???  I some times wonder if they have read the whole post, but have to admit I'm guilty of it myself. :-[  DP

Well..since he was already shown the FAQ's which has everything he asked for in it,didn't see any harm in offering advise on the very basics and ammo.. I really didn't think I was going off on a tangent dpe. ;)

Mac

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 07:09:49 AM »

I was actually thinking calling them Dandy Handi's, cause they have a wide appeal for different reasons.. ;)

Mac

My buddy once referred to them not as "Dandy Handi's",  but as "Andy's Handis", a corruption of an old nickmane, "Handy Andy"....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 07:14:03 AM »

Mac

My buddy once referred to them not as "Dandy Handi's",  but as "Andy's Handis", a corruption of an old nickmane, "Handy Andy"....<><....:)

Not bad...not bad at all...

Mac