Author Topic: Building materials ..  (Read 1329 times)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Building materials ..
« on: March 06, 2010, 08:59:14 AM »
While wandering through the steel supplier I found this nice shaft . Was a remnant so paid through the nose for it .   ;D

I mentioned I was looking for oak .... "Ok , we have a dunnage pile , help your self . "

1- 8' 4x4 and 4 - 4' 4x4 .
Now what to make ?  ???   Shaft is Cold Rolled 1080
They have a piece of 6" x about 4' on the floor , haven't a clue as to what that would cost. The short piece of 4 " was $66.77  :-X
Thunder mug comes to mind , Oak is going to be for Mortar Bases . GB one first . Be interedting to see how it comes out of the planer . It has a few nails to tend to first .
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Building materials ..
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 09:21:35 AM »
     Ernie,   With your turning and welding skills I think you could get a 1/8 scale 9" Dahlgren Shell Gun out of that piece.  An iron, Marsilly carriage could be made for this out of fairly thin plate stock, welded together, with two little wheels in the front.  Just a thought.

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »
can we get to see after planing...............curious is all.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »
After planing, that wood will look brand new fresh right out of the tree. :o
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:15:25 PM »
I ran one 4x4 through the planer . It was 3 3/8 to start and is now 3  1/4 
The other pieces are all rough sawed and vary in dimentions . The piece show by the planed piece is @ 3 1/4 in the rough stage .
there are some drying splits but can be worked around .  One piece I may be able to get  1/4 sawed grain out of .  sort of fun .
 I need to resaw with the band saw to get 2" x ? for my GB mortar base.
Got to go , wife is waiting  for me to take her out to Pizza ......  ::)

I spent the afternoon working on 3 projects . did get one done .... Front shocks on the Isuzu Trooper Installed  !  8)

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 02:00:39 PM »
Now what to make ?  ???   Shaft is Cold Rolled 1080

4" x 13" 1018 you say? You should send that to me for, ahem, proper disposal.  :D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 02:44:04 PM »
1018 sounds more like cold-rolled than 1080.

AND 1018 is VERY common and VERY good for cannon barrels.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 04:55:52 PM »
1018 sounds more like cold-rolled than 1080.

I think you are right , My mind gets half the facts right  .  ::)

Pizza was good , Delivered 3 hammers to DD @ same trip . HJe has a back breaking project needing 3 hammers .  Papa Hammer , Mama Hammer and BB Hammer .   

As he tires he can work his way down in weight , or ...... Let Mrs DD do the work with proper supervision .   :D

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Dahlgren Shell Gun
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 03:45:57 PM »
Google is my friend  . Just read a bit and looked @ a few Dahlgren guns ....  Interesting .  
It appears there is a fellow in Alberta who has lots of plans for various cannons .
The email addy  leads me to think it may even be one of my wifes relatives ?

Not sure what I want to make yet but am open to suggestion .
Thanks .

Am trying to get too many project out the door before spring hits .  I have a tractor needing body work and a hydraulic leak fixed under the cowling on the PS  , A metal desk in the beginning stages of restoration . A 2 post Asymmetrical 2 post hoist needing installation , Wiring of new addition and rewiring of old shop . Extension cords running every where and running every thing .  

Guess I will go play .... ;D   That has worked for 60 + years when all else fails . ::) ( or seems overwhelming )

Plus 30 years accumulated some day I'm gonna fix my 51 MG TD2A  ,A 54 IHC 110 , The Mogul engine project under the tarp in the big shed, the tractor restoration of a Model "C" case , and the list goes on .......

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 04:00:47 PM »
At least you have enough to keep you busy and away from the tube and the frig.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 02:44:10 AM »
1Southpaw,
My best friend bought a 52 MG TD 40 years ago out of someones garage for $300.  Since then he has restored it 3 times down to the chasis.  In our younger years, we pushed that old MG down the road more times than I care to remember. :P
He still has it and I still ride in it.  Haven't had to push it in a while :D
What is a 54 IHC 110?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 02:55:28 AM »

What is a 54 IHC 110?
Zulu

It's that old red tractor sitting over in the back corner of the storage barn....

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Dahlgren Shell Gun
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 01:54:42 PM »
So what do you do in your SPARE time?   :D

Google is my friend  . Just read a bit and looked @ a few Dahlgren guns ....  Interesting .  
It appears there is a fellow in Alberta who has lots of plans for various cannons .
The email addy  leads me to think it may even be one of my wifes relatives ?

Not sure what I want to make yet but am open to suggestion .
Thanks .

Am trying to get too many project out the door before spring hits .  I have a tractor needing body work and a hydraulic leak fixed under the cowling on the PS  , A metal desk in the beginning stages of restoration . A 2 post Asymmetrical 2 post hoist needing installation , Wiring of new addition and rewiring of old shop . Extension cords running every where and running every thing .  

Guess I will go play .... ;D   That has worked for 60 + years when all else fails . ::) ( or seems overwhelming )

Plus 30 years accumulated some day I'm gonna fix my 51 MG TD2A  ,A 54 IHC 110 , The Mogul engine project under the tarp in the big shed, the tractor restoration of a Model "C" case , and the list goes on .......
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
What is a 54 IHC 110?
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
What is a 54 IHC 110?
My favorite pickup  truck of all time . A 1954 , 3 on the tree , short bed , cool truck , A half ton thus the 110 designation , the 120 's were 3/4 ton   Believe the series is a R designation , differing from the L series introduced after the KB series of the 40's .

It was an old county road patrol truck . It was towed behind a road grader used as a means to get home from the job . 

Out here the shop might be 40 to 60  miles or more from the work site . So to save wear and tear on Graders a tow vehicle was pulled behind . @ end of day the employee drove the pick-up truck back to the shop for the day . It doubled as a fuel supply tender for the grader as it had a 140 gallon tank in the box to refuel the grader .

It runs like a top , has 6 Cly engine . I got the upholstery done and a new front window installed and then other projects crowded it out the door .  It needs a bit of dent straightening and a new paint job . Currently is yellow . About the color of Cat .

No rust or corrosion  as we were a salt free state back in its working days .

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
out of someones garage for $300.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 06:22:29 PM »
My TD was in Tuscon ,AZ .  I bought it from the original owner in 1975 . 
He had recieved it from his father as a graduation gift from law school . 
I paid $200 more that what the title listed as new cost of $1700 .

I was going to drive it home but had second thoughts . 

It has an oil consumption problem with cylindar # 3  Body is cherry , wood work in body is great . It was always a Tuscon car from day one . Tranny tight , had new tires , sharp rig .  Last time I ran it was Bicentenial parade in 76 .  In the shed it went ... Cats used it as a kitten factory . Top is rotted from Arizona sun but all else is /was nice/ but the years of storage in a leaky shed have not been kind to it .
And .... I bought a Miata MX-5 to play with .

Also have a 47 Willy's CJ2A that is in good running order but needs some loving attention . Speedo meter quit , hand brake cable siezed , but it has a new motor , drive lines , brakes , uphostery , tires , and really needs new paint .  Currently it is camoflauged yellow and green , for hiding in a water mellon patch  8)

Peeling green over a yellow base ...... ;D

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 06:30:30 PM »
Also working on prototype base for my Iron Gophers . We cut out a new base yesterday @ the local CNC plasma cutting shop of a friend .  He had a better idea .... so now we have the Ford of bases   ;)

will have to shrink down some photos to post .
Be back in a minute ..... ???

New Base ....
Different View 
Compared to old
Flash didn't work so they have yellow jaundice  ;)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 07:19:32 PM »
TD MG's are one of my dream cars , closly followed by the MG A . When my son Chris turned 15 we started looking for a project car for him .

I found a 67 MG B for about 300 bucks . It ran ...but that was about it . Chris said THATS the car , I did too but I didnt tell him that .

SO after a year of being on British Victorias mailing list  ..........I had swaped out fuel tanks cause the old one was rusted out . A fuel pump ...they wanted a friggin fourtune for an MG positive ground so I bought a regular one and wired it backwards ...it worked great . I cut out the floorboards to replaced also the master cylinder and slave cylinders for each wheel . It even had the origanl lead hammer for the knock offs .

Somewhere along the project I realized my son hadn't lent a hand in the whole project .   Huuummmm

So I sold it to an enthusest for what I had in it . wish I'd kept it . The 67 was THE best engine in several respects ,5 mains is the biggest thing ...... I took great delite in listening to the Beatles on an English speaker and radio that the origanals would have been playing on back in the day .

That car ,and the 2 Opel GTs , and a sweet V6 73 Capri(mercury) I had owned , sold me on little cars and is the reason I bought my Toyota MR2 .......Damn battery is dead ....its been chillin in the garage all winter . uggg , I'll wait another week or so to charge it .

Gary

sorry no cannons ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 08:14:40 PM »
.......Damn battery is dead ....its been chillin in the garage all winter . uggg , I'll wait another week or so to charge it .
Best not to leave it in the discharge state too long ... will kill it for sure.  :(

If it makes you feel any better my Miata MX-5 was dead also , got it charged up and ready to go .
 It's been in the 50's and the snow is going fast .
We were going to go cruising Saturday but decided to go Isuzuing instead .    :)

Motor home is needing a new coach deep cycle battery also .
Always some thing in the pocket book .  >:(

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 08:31:29 PM »
Don't want to leave a discharged battery in freezing weather.  The electrolyte is a lot more watery and can freeze solid which is BAD for the battery.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 03:24:53 AM »
Least you think this discussion has drifted way off topic, all these vehicles are cannon material and crew transport devices....

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 04:20:40 AM »
Absolutely.  Carried my first mortar (1974 old size beer can) in my first MGB (1964).  3 mains.  Relpaced the engine with  a 71 engine when I dropped two exhaust valves (1 and 4).  Bagged a big buck doing 55 once.  Had it fixed and ran it for a bunch of years.  Have a 71 or 72 now - MGBGT.  Need to get it on the road.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 05:24:38 AM »
more like candidates for the Spanish laundry machine factories        haven't seen any decent car mentioned yet...........on topic ?  send them over to Fox.............cannon ball........material.......for the use of.         load of old scrap !    O yes it is  :P
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 06:39:18 AM »
more like candidates for the Spanish laundry machine factories        haven't seen any decent car mentioned yet...........on topic ?  send them over to Fox.............cannon ball........material.......for the use of.         load of old scrap !    O yes it is  :P

At times I've thought that too.  Like just after restoring my 64 B - thinking that I'd have done the same amount of work restoring an Austin Martin and ended up with something lots better.  BUT, now I've gotten another MG.  My objective is to have a roadster for the summer and a GT for the winter.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 12:54:08 PM »
I had a 61 Austin Healy, a 65 Austin Healey, and a 64 Jaguar XKE roadster all at the same time. ;D ;D
Back then, (1976) they were dirt cheap and you didn't even have to have insurance.  Before that I had a 58 MGA that I paid $100 for, drove for a year and sold for $400.  I thought I made a killing. :'(  I'd like any of them back now. :'(
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »
All right, I have my original 1972 240-Z.  Unfortunately it is taking up space in my shop.  I should restore it so I can have my shop space back.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 01:24:14 PM »
I also had a 72 240 Z!  I loved it!  It was my last sports car. :'( :'( :'(  Paid $2600 for it and sold it for $3000.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com