Author Topic: 32 S&W long revolver  (Read 1862 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
32 S&W long revolver
« on: March 06, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Why is there no 32S&W Long revolvers made with adjustable sights? This round is very accurate and has more killing powder than the 22 LR for small game.  It is even hard to find 32 mag . with adjustable sights now.

Zacharoo

Offline rawhidekid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 32 S&W long revolver
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:02:23 AM »
I can't agree on more killing power than a .22lr on game.  I once tried a 32S&Wlong on bowling pins;  the lead bullet flattens out and does not penatrate the pin(although it does knock it over).  A .22 lr will not only knock a pin over it penetrates the wood. 8)  The .32 round is popular in Europe but they load it heavier than the we do. :)  This was factory rounds, not reloads, you may be right on handloads that are loaded hotter.
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 04:04:18 AM »
 I agree that the .32 S&W long would make a fine small game gun, in fact that is about the only use I can see for that round. Guns chambered for the .32 H&R will shoot "longs" just fine. The S&W K-32 is a very fine target revolver but scarce and costly. The Ruger single six in .32 H&R is also rather scarce but not so expensive as the S&W. Charter Arms made one called the "Bulldog Police" in .32 H&R with a 4" barrel and adjustable sight. They are now making one called the "Target Patriot" in .327 Federal which can also fire the .32 S&W long. I'm not a big fan of Charter Arms but that is about the only option in current production.
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Patriot_73274.html

The .32 just has never been a big seller except in pocket pistols. Most people wanting something more than .22 just skip right up to .38 caliber. The .38 also works very well on small game so long as you stick to round nose bullets at modest velocities. Wadcutters, semi-wadcutters and anything much over 800 fps will blow up a lot of meat. There is a lot more ammo and component choice available in .38 than .32 caliber and .38's are actually cheaper to shoot in either factory of hand loads.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 05:46:11 AM »
I agree the 32H&R mag is a good small game round, the problem is he didn't mention it he asked about the 32 S&W long. 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline zacharoo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 12:13:13 PM »
Sorry about the  32 mag. I wish they had more with adj. sights. Don't know about the .327 if it would be ok for the 32S&W long. I wish there was one for say $400 so a poor man could afford it!!!!

Zacharoo

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »
I hope S&W take the Model 60 with the 5" barrel in 357 and makes it a 6 shot 327.  Even though it is a J frame the larger stocks fill the hand and the 5" barrel with adjustable sights would e perfect to tote around in the woods.  With 32 S&W, 32 Longs, 32H&R and 327 Mag
you have a wide variety of loads to shoot from tree rats to Bob cat and more.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 01:31:12 PM »
until you said $400, I was thinking to myself, "Why not the new GP100 in .327?" Adjustable sights, shoots .32long up to .327. Its going for $500+. If Taurus put a longer barrel on their 327 you'd probably find them near the $400 range.
held fast

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 02:05:37 PM »
Saw the 2inch Taurus 327 in Tucson today for $450.00. 8)

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 05:05:53 PM »
.32 acp shoots outa them guns too.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 11:04:30 AM »
I agree the 32H&R mag is a good small game round, the problem is he didn't mention it he asked about the 32 S&W long. 8)
Read my post again please. I do NOT advocate the .32 H&R Mag as a small game round, with full powder loads it is too distructive for edible game. I only mentioned that guns so chambered can fire also fire  the .32 S&W long, thus broading the field of possible guns.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 11:57:24 AM »
Ok, I read it again, you commented the 32 S&W long would be a good small game round then said the 32 H&R mag would firre the 32 long also.  I don't consider a round that flattens out on a bowling pin and slides off a good game round small or otherwise.  The 32 H&R mag would be fine on small game keeping it to head shots.  That is why I agreed the 32H&R would be good for small game.

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 01:38:21 PM »
Have any of you actually shot small game with a .32 S&W?
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 01:56:58 PM »
I liked .22 better for small game, but if I were carrying a .327 for larger game and something small presented itself, a .32 s&w would work fine. At least it did on rabbit and ground squirrel when I was kid using a RN bullet. I like the .32 long better for accuracy with a cast wc bullet. Haven't hunted with that though.
held fast

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 07:33:52 PM »
My .327 Smith has adjustable sights.
Smith has a set of tall front sights on it which make it shoot low even, adjusted. I am having a lowerer front sight from S&W put on it.
There are any number of adjustable sights available for the .32 thru .327.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 02:20:35 AM »
Have any of you actually shot small game with a .32 S&W?

I have and it works very well for rabbit and squirrel, Haven't been able to get a shot on a grouse yet. I use my ruger single six, adjustable sights, with .32 S&W longs, Wadcutters work just fine, but I mostly use SWCs. It's a real pleasure to shoot. Right now I am trying to buy a ruger black hawk .327 for less than 500 buck but no luck yet. I just wish it had a 7.5 barrel. 8)

BTW I think the .327 would take deer cleanly with heavier bullets but I have better firearms for that job.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 04:13:37 AM »
Badnews Bob:  Are you using reloads?  It would seam so since you are using wadcutters and semi-waddcutters.  I would think yours are hotter than the weak factory ammo I was using. 8)  Which is expensive as well as weak. ;D

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 08:02:03 AM »
Yes I shoot reloads but I usually load them kinda light in the S&W long only about 700 to 750 FPS. I haven't loaded any H&R mags yet as I just got brass  to do so. I just today picked up my new Ruger blackhawk .327 fedral magnum. I am really looking forward to see how well it's gonna shoot. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 08:05:38 AM »
Yes I shoot reloads but I usually load them kinda light in the S&W long only about 700 to 750 FPS. I just today picked up my new Ruger blackhawk .327 fedral magnum. I am really looking forward to see how well it's gonna shoot. 8)

Range report please!

Over the past year or so I've consolidated calibers down by half, to those that I know I like, do the job, and I like to reload for. For whatever reason I've held onto my .32s, and I'm really excited about the new .327s from Ruger.
held fast

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 12:18:03 PM »
Ok, I read it again, you commented the 32 S&W long would be a good small game round then said the 32 H&R mag would firre the 32 long also.  I don't consider a round that flattens out on a bowling pin and slides off a good game round small or otherwise.  The 32 H&R mag would be fine on small game keeping it to head shots.  That is why I agreed the 32H&R would be good for small game.
A .44 mag does great work on bowling pins. You can also hunt small game with a .44 mag, "keeping it to head shots". I've put a .32 long through a marmot end to end, it didn't "flatten and slide off" because it wasn't a bowling pin but it sure bowled him over! ;D It destroyed less meat (yes, I eat marmots) than a .22 WMR. I don't consider the .32 long, or any other .32 to be much of a personal defense round but over the past hundred+ years the .32 long, .32 short and .32 auto have certainly killed a lot of people. I really don't understand how anyone could even imagine it won't kill a rabbit. How long do you think a rabbit would last on a bowling alley? ;D

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 12:42:08 PM »
A bowling alley huh? Now that's funny Joe ;D.

TeamNelson, I put up a report just as soon as I can find some .327s to shoot out of it, I shot a cylinder full of .32 H&Rs out of it just to put some rounds thru her and guess what?  I like it. ;D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 03:19:49 AM »
coyotejoe:  I yeald to your expertease, my not carrying the 32S&W long will leave more rounds for you and the others who may want it. ;D 8)  The same goes for the 44 mag,(the Drs said lay off the punishment to my arthritic hands).  The .22lr, .32ACP, 38 Super and 45 Colt do all I need. 8)

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 05:05:44 AM »
I find it revealing that you don't trust a .32 long to kill bunnies but you'd trust your life to a .32 auto. ;D

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 08:37:29 AM »
I can't agree on more killing power than a .22lr on game.  I once tried a 32S&Wlong on bowling pins;  the lead bullet flattens out and does not penatrate the pin(although it does knock it over).  A .22 lr will not only knock a pin over it penetrates the wood. 8)  The .32 round is popular in Europe but they load it heavier than the we do. :)  This was factory rounds, not reloads, you may be right on handloads that are loaded hotter.

I've never seen a rabbit or a squirrel that had skin as tough as a bowling pin......
 :o :o :o

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 11:57:15 PM »
Back when they were posting the one shot stop data, the 32 with the Win Silvertip had 63% one shot stops.  It rivaled the 380 with the ammo available at that time.  Also I would only trust head shots with lighter calibers. 8)  When I spent time as a Arizona Ranger they would not allow any weopon smaller than a 38 Special or 9mm.  As new ammo comes availablethe 380 has been improved as has the 9mm.
Everyone should carry what they feel comfortable with, but be prepared to adjust point of aim to get the best possible result from what you use. 8) 

Offline zacharoo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 04:09:42 PM »
I am going to ask a question that my sound out of place. Has anyone used the russian nagant revolver with the 32 S&W Long.  I have never used one but have thought about getting one. It has been said that the 32 S&W long can be used. What is the word on this idea?

Zacharoo

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 05:09:41 AM »
I wouldn't try that, the original 7.62 Nagant cartridge has a lot of case taper and a .32 S&W long would be greatly undersize at the rear and may split if fired in a Nagant chamber. Even if safe to fire it would be inaccurate since the Nagant chambers are cut for a full length case and the .32 bullet would have to rattle down the oversize chamber before reaching the barrel. I've owned three Nagant Revolvers over the years and none were very accurate even with proper ammunition. I have a .32 ACP replacement cylinder and that was not very accurate either so I rechambered it for .32 H&R and that was only slightly better. Nagants are nice and light to carry but I don't know why one would carry it, it's underpowered for personal defense, the double action trigger pull is horrendous and it isn't accurate enough for small game.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 04:34:33 PM »
I just got my Blackhawk 8 shot 327, has adjustable sights. I have to say , the 32 long doesn't have much poop  for sure........the 327 is a sweet round though. Very good accuracy and power..........

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
I just got my Blackhawk 8 shot 327, has adjustable sights. I have to say , the 32 long doesn't have much poop  for sure........the 327 is a sweet round though. Very good accuracy and power..........

How is the muzzle blast & flash? I haven't even seen one (or a GP) yet & am kind of curious.

??? ??? ???

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 02:32:56 PM »
didn't notice any flash, recoil is mild

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 02:36:32 PM »
didn't notice any flash, recoil is mild

OK, thanks for the feedback. The gunshop commandos have been telling me it has a terrible flash & a lot of blast & you know they are never wrong!!!

:D :D :D