Author Topic: 223 shooting  (Read 622 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
223 shooting
« on: March 07, 2010, 06:13:52 AM »
I got bored yesterday and decided the test some of my stockpiled 223 ammo in my superlite barrel. I have it sighted in for a 60 gr. Hornady HP on top of AA2520. However since I put away my loading gear for the summer I decided to try some 62 gr. Brown Bear HP's and 55 gr. Monarch FMJBT's.  The 62 gr. stuff poorly stabilized and barely kept inside of 9 inches. The 55 gr. Monarch load shot very nicely at around 3/4 inch at 50 yards. My scope is an old Denver 4 power Weaver with a post reticle so that grouping will work for me. I tested these two loads to see how fast they tumbled after going thru a gallon milk jug full of water. The 62 gr. HP which wasn't stabilized well anyway came out sideways every time. The Brown Bear has a mild steel jacket washed with copper and it also tumbled quickly but didn't seem to break up much. I took some side cutters and squeezed a groove in the bullet halfway between the point and where the ogive ends. These altered bullets still shot just fine but tumbled faster on impact with the water jugs and broke into two pieces. If a hog gets in my way when I have this rifle in the truck he will get bullet tested with one of these.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline rickt300

Re: 223 shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:37:40 AM »
I guess I should add the barrel has a 1 in 12 inch twist, the root of the problem. My 1 in 9 inch twisted AR shoots pointed boat tailed bullets up to 69 grains just fine.

Offline Frank V

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 10:20:44 AM »
When you start reloading again try the Hornaday 50gr SX & H335! I think your rifle will like it. ;)
Frank
" U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Offline rickt300

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
The Hornady 50 gr. SX is my go to prairie dog and jackrabbit bullet. My Superlite is my truck gun and it may end up throwing lead at a jackrabbit , coyote or a feral pig so the 55 gr. FMJBT actually works pretty good generally. My favorite 223 powder at present (has been for 20 years) is IMR 3031.

Offline Frank V

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:51:10 PM »
The Hornady 50 gr. SX is my go to prairie dog and jackrabbit bullet. My Superlite is my truck gun and it may end up throwing lead at a jackrabbit , coyote or a feral pig so the 55 gr. FMJBT actually works pretty good generally. My favorite 223 powder at present (has been for 20 years) is IMR 3031.

I've shot a bunch of the Hornaday's in an old Rem 722 .222 I used to have & have always liked that bullet. Wish I had the gun back. My Handi is shooting the Hornadays really well. Enjoy!
Frank
" U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"