Author Topic: Old, old, old!  (Read 659 times)

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
Old, old, old!
« on: March 07, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »
Just tried out my "old", new-to-me Handi.  This one says "Handy-Gun" on the receiver, in 30-30, a standard lightweight barrel with an old...I mean old Weaver K-4.  I threw together some loads from some old components, stuff I've had moldering  around for years.  Some 160 cast bullets from Mr. Penney who has since passed, some old Remington primers from the mid 80's and some old powders from about the same era.
Not too bad for slinging some stuff together...no load "development".  The shooter??? Old too.
100 yds. group #2 4 clicks rt and 6 clicks up from  #1 all with cast. Some lead spray to the right from a hit to the target frame.  Lone group of three is Sierra 165 BTHP's.  Interesting to see that the cast really hold their own with the "match" bullets.  I like the whole antique aura, but I might have to get a good scope on it.
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Old, old, old!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 03:07:35 PM »
That's sweet! A little fine tunnin with those cast and it might just dial in.

My K-4 just lost it's adjust-ability this spring, mines an aluminum tube and they fix'm in Wisc. (if a magnet sticks to it, it's gotta go overseas) Mailed it too'm with $15 and I got it back in 2 weeks, with an explanation that a "spring" was broke. I always liked the FINE crosshairs on that thing. ;D
found elsewhere

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 03:15:07 PM »
Yeah, I think some careful loading (weigh matching cases and bullets, weighing each charge exactly) and they'd pull together nicely.  I was pretty much fine tuning my sighting in.  I fired 6 shots before this to get it on paper at 50yds. Center dot is 1".  I'm real happy with this $150 rig....got a sling and buttstock cartridge holder.  Previous owner said he bought it and never shot it.  I'm glad he didn't, he'd probably still own it.
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 12:00:44 AM »
Good show!!

If its truly a new or unfired barrel, keep shooting, generally they get better after a couple boxes thru them. Done forget pointed bullets too, your not limited to the RN's as there is no magazine!!

A long time favorite load of mine for the 30-30 is a max load of WW748 powder, a LR primer and a Hornady 170FP bullet. (Max loads with this powder have DROPPED over 5 grains since the 60's! My load is actually above current book loads. But has proven a great shooter since the early '80's.) Recently I substituted the Hornady 160 FTX bullet with no other changes and was rewarded with sub 1" groups at 50 yards.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 03:14:57 AM »
There is nothing wrong with the El Paso Weavers (unless it IS broken). Usually fine X hairs and good glass and reliable. Ive shot some of my best groups with an old K-4.
The 30-30 with lead bullets out of a good single shot can keep up with some fine shootin' .308s and '06s for targets.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974