Author Topic: The new 357 Comes Out To Shine.  (Read 717 times)

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
The new 357 Comes Out To Shine.
« on: March 07, 2010, 07:21:52 PM »
Yesterday I had cleaned up the new baby and moved the Weaver 4x off of the 308 Ultra on to the new 357. I retorqued the scope base plate/rings with blue Loctite. A few of the base plate screws had no loctite on them!
I found three old bags of 38 special gunshow reloads that I bought many years ago and decided that the 125gr JSP were coming with sister Handi. I remember reading here on GB that it takes a few hundred rounds to smooth out some of the Handi barrels.
So today came and after packing up a few needed items in the rolling range cart, I was off.
I arrived to find a full house at the public pistol / rifle range. I could see 4-5 people on some of the benches with only one gun.  :'(  It was a zoo and in my discust for my mistake in waiting till mid day, I went over to the range club house and had a hot dog and a soda. I finished and went on my way towards home and stopped to refill the propane bottle up. I thought to myself that I'll go back and see if the crowd had thinned. When I got back it had not and still full up. I went on over to the multi purpose range for members of the club thats not available to the public. I found a small bore silhoutte match that they were warming up for with some practice shots. I deceided I'd go in and say hi and watch something I know nothing about. One of the guys asks if I was there to shoot in the match. I gave him my sad range tale and he asked I wanted to shoot small bore. I told him all I had was my new 357 Handi with a scope that was not zero'ed yet. I did the tape on the garage wall and matched looking down the pipe and set the scope for that. He laughed and said to get it on the line and we could zero it with the gongs. Less than 5 shots and the Handi was doing it's thing like a frozen rope. A scope is not allowed in the matchs, but a few guys wanted to see what my Handi would do so I played along and was just happy to take a test drive.
I can tell you that dropping the iron targets is a lot of fun and sure beats paper targets. I dropped 10chickens 10pigs 7turkeys 8rams.
Had the aid of a scope and was just shooting for myself and not score. The guys didn't believe that I never fired it before and they all wanted to see it at the end of the match. I have not had that much fun with my clothes on in years.
All I can say is that I can't wait to finish off the other hunderd rounds of 38's and move on to 357's. The 357 Handi is such a fun, sweet shooting Handi and I can't say enough about it. Thanks guys for talking me into getting one with all of the previous positive reports. I can see a 30-30 and 45-70 on the horizon.
-gary

"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
Re: The new 357 Comes Out To Shine.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:08:27 PM »
Welcome to the club Gary (Handiholics) you are definitely one of us now.
... oh yeah, yer doomed! ;D ;D ;D
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:12:13 PM »
Yup, too late now, you're hooked!!  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 11:39:12 PM »
You are definitely into Handi rifles; no hope, no hope.;D I sounds like you may have hooked a couple of more at the range, gave them some thing to think about anyway ;).
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 11:53:13 PM »
GREAT story!!! Glad you got to shoot it fineally!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 01:31:02 AM »
I bet PIGBOY still got a smile on his face this morning. That's a good post and great story.
Yep, he is hooked. ;D
                                  Jim   <><   <><   <><

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 01:36:17 AM »
nice story glad alls good with it  ;D

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 04:12:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing the great Handi experience Gary! Looks like this batch of .357's was a good one. ;)

Oh, you will like the 30-30 too.  ;D  I can't speak for the 45-70, yet, but it is on my list of things to come.

Bill

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 04:58:32 AM »
PigBoy you are doomed to a life of depravity,looking for the next fix,wandering alone among the pushers(pawn shops gun shops)  :o But we do wish you well as we are all in the same boat. ::)  Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 06:18:10 AM »
Nice going friend, and fellow handi addict!

I have been wanting a 357 barrel for awhile. I think I am getting the urge to visit local gun and pawn shops and see what I can find!!

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 12:27:26 PM »
Gary,
Great story and I wouldn't be at all surprised if a few of those guys from the range are now looking for a Handi-Rifle.
Don

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 03:51:17 PM »
Thanks for reading my range story guys. The only thing that it needs right now is trigger work. It's gotta be at least at 10 lbs. -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"