Author Topic: NEF Padner 3.5" 12ga choke question...  (Read 872 times)

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
NEF Padner 3.5" 12ga choke question...
« on: March 08, 2010, 03:08:02 PM »
I picked up a NEF Pardner 3.5" 12ga today with the screw in turkey choke today, and I am curious if it accepts any other standard choke types (Rem, Winchester, etc) or is it a proprietary system? 
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Re: NEF Padner 3.5" 12ga choke question...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »
it should accept winchester/weatherby/mossberg chokes, so you should have many options to choose from
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:07:56 AM »
I picked up a NEF Pardner 3.5" 12ga today with the screw in turkey choke today

Your shoulder is going to be sorry!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy. You ought to be a serious threat to ducks, geese, and turkeys with that baby.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 02:35:34 PM »
I've got one of those monsters, the ONLY way it'll be fired with anything heavier than light dove loads is if something with fangs and/or claws is on my butt.

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 03:03:19 PM »
This is the second one I have owned, and I already know how brutal the recoil will be.  Well, to an extent.  I've fired some 3" turkey loads through the other, but I admit I am a little hesitant to touch off a 3.5" in this 6.5lb monster.  We're talking about almost 70ft-lbs of recoil, which is almost three times the recoil of an '06!
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 03:48:10 PM »
How does it pattern?  I read a review by someone and the patterns with turkey loads were horrible.

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »
This is the second one I have owned, and I already know how brutal the recoil will be.  Well, to an extent.  I've fired some 3" turkey loads through the other, but I admit I am a little hesitant to touch off a 3.5" in this 6.5lb monster.  We're talking about almost 70ft-lbs of recoil, which is almost three times the recoil of an '06!
Depending on which load you shoot the recoil could be much more than 70 lbs.     The Federal 2 oz turkey load at 1300 fps will generate 100 lbs +- depending on the weight of  your shotgun.     It is real brutal on the shoulder from a sitting turkey shooting position.   I only shoot one or two rounds per year and I try to make sure there is a gobbler at the other end.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline The Hermit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »
I NEVER shoot mine sitting down. At 74, its just too hard to get back up.  Mine has a full choke and patterns well at 40 yds. 3" slugs are fun too, but will put down black bear just fine. Another plus is nobody ever asks to borrow it.

The Hermit

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 07:38:38 AM »
How does it pattern?  I read a review by someone and the patterns with turkey loads were horrible.

I HAD one of these, got rid of it because of the recoil but I must say it patterned better than any other turkey gun I've seen in my life. 3.5" Reminton Nitro #5 shot was the best. I wish my shoulder could have taken the recoil because the pattern with those loads was incredible.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 07:58:35 AM »

I HAD one of these, got rid of it because of the recoil but I must say it patterned better than any other turkey gun I've seen in my life. 3.5" Reminton Nitro #5 shot was the best. I wish my shoulder could have taken the recoil because the pattern with those loads was incredible.
Mine patterns horribly with #4 shot.....holes in the coverage large enough to miss the turkey's head .    That said it is absolutely perfect with #6 shot (2 oz) ....there is nowhere for mr.gobbler to hide out to 50 yds.    This is my only turkey load now (Federal 2oz #6).
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 09:04:06 AM »

Mine patterns horribly with #4 shot.....holes in the coverage large enough to miss the turkey's head .    That said it is absolutely perfect with #6 shot (2 oz) ....there is nowhere for mr.gobbler to hide out to 50 yds.    This is my only turkey load now (Federal 2oz #6).

Isn't it funny how we all have just one load that we use for turkey, but most everyone will argue for another load. I guess guns really do have a mind of there on. (Mine won't shoot Federals good enough to even talk about)

Daman

Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!