Author Topic: New sceince experment  (Read 680 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
New sceince experment
« on: March 08, 2010, 06:04:17 PM »
Was in Harbour Freight today and picked up a feeler gauge set, lots of leaves, $3.00.  Tonight I took it apart and removed the thinnest from .0015 up to .015.  Then I cleaned them up and parkerized them.  They are not stainless, they parkerized up perfectly.  This finish leaves a very fine rough christline finish, should be the perfect finish for epoxy to stick to.  I am going to send them off to Quick to try next time he shims a barrel or needs to replace a shim, I think these things will stick like crazy.  But then I have been wrong before.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New sceince experment
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:20:20 PM »
Kool Larry!! Great timing,  I think I have a new barrel coming from Wayne as soon as he rebores it to .458", more than likely it will need fitting!!

thanks,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:23:25 PM »
It will be perfect then.  After I parkerized them I only washed them off with plain water, didn't put any oil on them like I do the barrels, so they should be 100% clean.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 08:00:27 PM »
 Tim

Which barrel are you having bored to a .458? Just being nosey.

Lonny

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 08:12:44 PM »
I called Wayne today to ask him if my 260 barrel had shipped yet, he just shipped it Monday afternoon, will be here Tuesday. He mentioned that he had a 26" H&R barrel that had been rebored to 338 for a 338-06, but the chamber somehow got messed up by one of his employees, anyway he said I could have it for the cost of a rebore to something larger that would clean it up, since there isn't any bottlenecked round that it could just be rechambered, it would need to be rebored to something larger like 45-70, 450 Alaskan, etc. Not crazy about dies and brass for the 450, I decided it would make a nice 45-70, but I may go 45-90 instead just for something different.

Tim

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 08:18:43 PM »
  Dont you just hate being in the right place at the right time ;). Congrats

Lonny

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 11:52:57 PM »
I called Wayne today to ask him if my 260 barrel had shipped yet, he just shipped it Monday afternoon, will be here Tuesday. He mentioned that he had a 26" H&R barrel that had been rebored to 338 for a 338-06, but the chamber somehow got messed up by one of his employees, anyway he said I could have it for the cost of a rebore to something larger that would clean it up, since there isn't any bottlenecked round that it could just be rechambered, it would need to be rebored to something larger like 45-70, 450 Alaskan, etc. Not crazy about dies and brass for the 450, I decided it would make a nice 45-70, but I may go 45-90 instead just for something different.

Tim

Got to get me one of them 45-90's or 45-120's. Heck I still need to get the 45-70, but I think that one is covered. (The little lady that I answer to said if I play nice I could have a new SS Ultra!!!!) ::) ::) ::) Well back to a somewhat serious note, I own three handis but I don't quite feel like I qualify as a Handi-man with out a 45-70.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 01:06:01 AM »
Quick, if you don't already have one,how about a 405 Winchester ?
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 03:06:22 AM »
A 405 wouldn't clean up the 06' chamber..it is .460" at the head as opposed to the 06' at .471"..

Good luck with it Quick..I went round and round with it yesterday with Wayne looking at everything it could be chambered for...I sure would have loved to have a 450 Alaskan or even a 50 Alaskan but like I said to you the durn dies and brass cost TDM... not to mention how much loaded ammo cost for it >:(

A 45-90 would be pretty cool..gotta admit to that..and if I wasn't trading that 280 barrel I just got from you for a standard 45-70 barrel here..I most likely would have gone for it too.. ;)

Larry...are you just parkerizing the shims and nothing more? I haven't had to shim a barrel yet (real lucky)..but won't they be too soft if you don't?

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 04:26:00 AM »
Quick, if you don't already have one,how about a 405 Winchester ?

Already have one.  ;D

Tim

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 11:44:04 AM »
They are in the mail to Quick, so, being he is just down the road, they should arrive day after tomorrow.  Larry

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 11:47:42 AM »
Tim, I know you are talented, but how did you get that 10-22 magazine mounted backwards under the receiver like that?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 11:57:35 AM »
Thanks Larry!!

gcrank1,  Whutza "10-22 magazine", is that sumptin to read? 

:o :D ;D ;) :)

Tim

btw, I called Wayne this morning and asked him to make it a 45-90 just for something different, he said it would be a month or so before he gets to it.  :D