Author Topic: My $80 Pardner has me aggravated.  (Read 877 times)

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
My $80 Pardner has me aggravated.
« on: March 10, 2010, 04:54:40 AM »
I thought I was getting a real good deal at the pawn shop.  I didn't realize until I got home that it opens while cocked.  Which isn't right.  I'm a little obsessive compulsive.  I can't stand anything to not be right.  I decided to work the shelf cause I wasn't happy with the engagement.  Now it's got a bit of low spot.  So I'm about to send it off to the factory and I'm sure this thing will end up costing me more than a new one.

Offline TxGun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Retired
Re: My $80 Pardner has me aggravated.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 07:25:18 AM »
That kind of thing eventually happens to everyone who takes on gun projects. If you "play the game" long enough, you'll invariably run into unexpected problems that wind up costing more than you'd planned. It's happened to me many times, and to every other gun collector I know. You know it's just part of the game, Stumpy. I know that probably doesn't make you feel any better. Hey, look at it this way....in the end you will have taken an older, broken shotgun and fixed it to be like new. That's better than just buying a new, uninteresting one...to me anyway. It'll mean a little more to you...once you get past the unexpected expense.  ;)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 07:34:54 AM »
Sell the barrel and stock in the classifieds and go buy another one. Strip the parts from the receiver and the destroy it. Barrel is worth $40.00, stock probably the same and the bag of parts $15. That's one way to go. I'd want to fiddle with it till I got it right. I don't know how good a move it is to send it back to the factory with some of the stories we've heard lately.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 08:04:31 AM »
NO!!! Don't destoy it, fix it yourself or sell it to another member who would not mind fixing it himself....<><....:)

(friends don't let friends destroy guns)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 08:05:42 AM »
I cleaned up the latch engagement so it hits pretty good and reblued the latch.  Sending it off to the factory tomorrow.  I really think the problem lies in the barrel.  The lug measures about .015 more away from the barrel face than another barrel I had that locks up.  However, this barrel locks up on another receiver I have.

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 09:32:13 AM »
 I have quite a few recivers, and before I fit any barrel I swap it around and can usally find a reciver it fits well on. a little swapping has kept me from having to do much fitting. DR

Offline STUMPJMPR

Re: My $80 Pardner has me aggravated. Update.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 07:12:14 AM »
My 80 dollar shotgun is approaching the $100 mark. 

Packaging = $6
Shipping   = $11

Total so far $97

Should have bought a new one.