Author Topic: Spuddys 1838  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Spuddys 1838
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 01:08:23 PM »
Banned word list! This is a serious discussion about ordnance nomenclature, then again, knowing more than a few Italians, it's very possible they threw in a nasty word just for sport. :D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 01:25:43 PM »
Boom J, Here is an Ames 1841 6-pounder dated 1850 with a smaller but similar molding between the breech ring and reinforce like that on the model 1838 pictured. This piece has the usual 1841 model transition from the reinforce to the chase. This molding is certainly not common on 1841s.

Max

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 01:46:52 PM »
Tim,
I think those are actually architectural terms that were adopted to describe the different types of mouldings used on cannon.

Dan; the words are probably derived from Latin and Italian.

In many cases Spanish and Latin are very close.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 01:56:45 PM »
Boom J, Here is an Ames 1841 6-pounder dated 1850 with a smaller but similar molding between the breech ring and reinforce like that on the model 1838 pictured. This piece has the usual 1841 model transition from the reinforce to the chase. This molding is certainly not common on 1841s.

Could that be an 1844 if dated 1850?  Is so could that be a stop point from machining?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »
wow You guys are fanatic ! Here is what I made  ;D
Your call guys  ;)

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »
Gary,
Your model looks fine, you also saw something there and put a narrow ring in front of the breech ring. It wasn't meant as a criticism, I just never noticed this feature on pre-1841 models of the U.S. 6-pdr that I had seen before.

That's really interesting Max, I always assumed that all the M1841 6-pounders would have the same profile, (with the transition from the reinforce to the front of the breech ring being formed by a smooth angle) but as you already said, I don't think that the molding that's seen in the photo you posted could have been a common occurrence. 

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 12:04:50 AM »
I don't remember cannonm assuming or thinking..........
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 03:37:56 AM »

Could that be an 1844 if dated 1850?  Is so could that be a stop point from machining?

Douglas, This is the 1841 model. It has the model 1841 dimensions and weight  A concave breech ring molding is mentioned in the description of this model as late as the 1860s but it was dropped some time earlier, maybe at different times by the different manufacturers.   
Max

Offline Double D

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 05:46:48 AM »
Max,

Based on my limited knowledge I thought the only difference between th 1841 and 1844 was machining.  Since it was made in 1850, shouldn't it have been machined...I defer to you guys who no more on the subject than me.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 06:34:36 AM »
Douglas, The model 1841 6-pounder was the last model of that pattern, there was no model 1844. The model 1841 pattern was produced by the U.S. until around 1861 and by the Confederacy until near the end of the war.
Max

Offline Double D

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 05:47:45 AM »
Douglas, The model 1841 6-pounder was the last model of that pattern, there was no model 1844. The model 1841 pattern was produced by the U.S. until around 1861 and by the Confederacy until near the end of the war.

Thank, sir, my edumacation is now enhanced!!! :)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2010, 08:22:52 AM »
Have you ever wondered what 240 dollars worth of silicone looks like ?

Here it is surrounding Tims 1838 .  I just poured the last of it been pouring over the last  2 1/2 days .

Later today I''ll seperate it and start casting wax . :o

Soon Tim will have his cannon . I cant wait get the first three done . Tracy wants one and I want one .

Gary
The first pic is the mold frmes

Getting ready to pour

Here is the the mess  

First half poured you can see cuts in it to align with second half.

mold is now setting up !
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 08:31:55 AM »
I can feel the excitement building.

Offline Double D

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 08:43:41 AM »
Gary,

We have that stove.  If I put that stuff on our stove, I would die! no I would be murdered!.

Looks great! So I take it you can make repetitive castings with the mould, is that correct?

How much is this gun going to weigh out of the mould?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 10:09:39 AM »
Gary,

We have that stove.  If I put that stuff on our stove, I would die! no I would be murdered!.

Looks great! So I take it you can make repetitive castings with the mould, is that correct?

How much is this gun going to weigh out of the mould?

Yes I can can make these cannons en masse . I think it will be 15 lbs . But that is just a guess .
Gary

ETA the stove is brand spanking new too . I splianed to how it it a no stick top , I will only die if it isnt non stick ....I have no idea , but I NEEDED a place bigger than the glass in my coffee table this time ...she wasnt wild about that either .

I told you  guys I married to Molly Pitcher just ask MT . Hopefuly it does turn out to be nonstick ....

6 more inches of global warming today ......still snowing ....

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 02:21:52 PM »
Thanks Gary,
I can't tell you how often I've wondered what $240 of silicone looked like. ;D ;D

Looks like it's turning out good! :o
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 03:19:25 PM »
dont worry gary , silicone doesnt stick to any other surface
except for other silicone
thats why its so important with some kind of releasing agent
just as an insulation between the different silicone layers

the only rason to use wax or paint on mold frames and wooden masters is just to stop the silicone to enter the pores in any porous material

its the same with your clay masters , they could also be painted , and it will also give an better surface I think
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2010, 03:47:10 PM »
yea baby ! ;D

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2010, 04:27:42 PM »

Offline Double D

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2010, 07:01:13 PM »
Gary,

I told the wife what you said about non stick surface...she gave me the look and said NO!   Sent shivers up my spine.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2010, 12:31:04 AM »
just   ONE  very  IMPORTANT   thing gary

when the mold halfs is freshly cured , store them together and straight
as its really not fully cured you can have the halfs taking after the shape as they are stored
but this is just during the first 1-2 weeks

so keep them straight for a while
best is to have them in the frame with the master inside
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2010, 01:27:49 AM »
Look'n good Gary!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2010, 08:44:20 AM »
     Yes, Gary, it is indeed very fortunate that you are married to a good woman who's temperment is closer to Molly Pitcher's than some nameless diva.  You would have been pushing up daisies long ago if you married a less tolerant woman!   :o

Now, to address a more timely topic, I have to remind you, I believe, that mere toying with boards, silicone and chunks of bee's wax and paraffin, is beginning to wear a little on your potential customers.  Frankly, some of us are wondering if you are preparing a display of wax sculptures for the International Exposition of Wax to be held next month in Argentina?  To put it in terms even you can understand, "Will there be any BRONZE coming from this Backyard Bronze Cannon Casting Foundry you have so laboriously set up??   ;D ;D    Maybe you should get Quasimodo, the hunchback to help you melt metal if you ever engage in that activity again,  I think Mike and I have forgotten the technique over these four, long, months past.  :-\ :-\

Your faithful friends,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2010, 10:41:28 AM »
     Yes, Gary, it is indeed very fortunate that you are married to a good woman who's temperment is closer to Molly Pitcher's than some nameless diva.  You would have been pushing up daisies long ago if you married a less tolerant woman!   :o

Now, to address a more timely topic, I have to remind you, I believe, that mere toying with boards, silicone and chunks of bee's wax and paraffin, is beginning to wear a little on your potential customers.  Frankly, some of us are wondering if you are preparing a display of wax sculptures for the International Exposition of Wax to be held next month in Argentina?  To put it in terms even you can understand, "Will there be any BRONZE coming from this Backyard Bronze Cannon Casting Foundry you have so laboriously set up??   ;D ;D    Maybe you should get Quasimodo, the hunchback to help you melt metal if you ever engage in that activity again,  I think Mike and I have forgotten the technique over these four, long, months past.  :-\ :-\

Your faithful friends,

Mike and Tracy

Mike remembers at least as good as I do ;) .

As for you Tracy whatsmatta for you eh . You forget how to take pictures ?

Or was it offering unwanted advise Hummmm .

You are Mean ,Mean , Mean

Your 1838 maybe a little crooked btw  8)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2010, 02:16:04 PM »
Gary,

Your mold looks very good, I am wondering are you degassing the silicone before casting?
if so what are you using?

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2010, 03:07:02 PM »
Gary,

Your mold looks very good, I am wondering are you degassing the silicone before casting?
if so what are you using?

Allen <><

Thank you KBAR2 . No I'm not degassing . It just bubbles up to the surface and the bubbles pop .

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »
Oh hooppty hop halaluyaaaa .... does the happy dance around the kitchen  :D 8)

Tim YOUR WAX came out great , Tracy's too . Please see the pics .

I tweaked the mold this morning  , Maybe in a month  ;)

Gary

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2010, 03:28:58 PM »
     Gary, that one by the edge of the table will do just fine!  You are a marvelous craftsman; I would never say otherwise.  Looks like Spuddy's could use a tweak or two.  Better get on it!   ;D ;D

Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »
Naw...that one is set up for shooting around corners! ;D

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2010, 01:22:14 AM »
Tipmann makes a paintball barrrel that looks like Tracy's 1883.  It is supposed to make the paintball shoot flat by putting a backspin on it.  Maybe there is room out on the grasslands of Colorado to do a test. ;D