Author Topic: 303 british  (Read 1964 times)

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
303 british
« on: March 11, 2010, 05:07:51 AM »
I just saw on another reputable site that Ruger is going to make a special run of #1 Rifles chambered in 303 British.    How I wish we could get the 303 in a Handi (from the factory)!
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
Re: 303 british
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 05:57:16 AM »
Could always call the guy in this thread.

http://www.mdwfp.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61493

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 01:02:26 PM »
I'd like to have a 7.62x54 in a Handi. :)

Spanky

Offline Clodhopper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:08:38 PM »

Spanky

+1

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:21:51 PM »
I've got a Ruger No.1-B barrel, 30-06, listed in the General Classifieds. It could be stubbed leaving enough of the chamber to clean up with a rechambering to a 'std' .30 cal. in either of those (I think). Lots of good bullets to choose from that way.
FWIW, I use .311 and .312 cast lead bullets in my '06 and 30-40Krag and get the best accuracy.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline silver surfer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 02:42:36 PM »
 Several folks have voted for a .303 in a handi on the wish list thread; I being one of them.  That would be quite the round for these single shots, a proven killer, deadly accurate, rimmed, and 45,000 cup.  This is easily do-able with a handi!  Slap a 25" barrel cut to .311 on that receiver and let it rip!  Man that would be really nice ;D.
"Blamin a gun for shootin people is like blamin your pencil for misspellin a word!"
  Larry the Cable Guy

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 03:16:56 AM »
It was proven in the now defunct 7.62X39 barrel that Handi rifles will not detonate the hard primer on military ammunition.If  shooting milsurp ammo is your reason for the wish then you might as well forget it.
Incidentally the .303 British and the 7.62X54R can use the same bullet.I reload both and they will interchangeably use a .311 bullet.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 03:28:03 AM »
It was proven in the now defunct 7.62X39 barrel that Handi rifles will not detonate the hard primer on military ammunition.If  shooting milsurp ammo is your reason for the wish then you might as well forget it.
Incidentally the .303 British and the 7.62X54R can use the same bullet.I reload both and they will interchangeably use a .311 bullet.

Stan in SC
Good quality milsurp 303 is very difficult to find these days.    I have several hundred good brass cases and I reload primarily for hunting.   A Handi in 303 would make a far better woods companion for me than either of my enfields at 9+ lbs.    For plinking or target shooting I have about 750 of the MkVII 174 gr bullets that have been pulled from old Pakistani 303 ball.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 05:47:05 AM »
I also voted for 303 on the wish list. I really enjoy shooting my SMLE, but don't want to carry it around in the woods. I am considering buying a Dicks SG 223 ultra varmint combo and sending the barrel to wayne york for a rechamber & rebore.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 05:57:43 AM »
Not trying to start a ruckus, but what will a 303 do that a 30-06 will not?the 30-06 Handi has an excellent reputation for reliabity and accuracy with a larger selection of bullets available. Just Wondering ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 06:07:03 AM »
Jeepman:  Totally agree, 100%  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 07:18:51 AM »
Not trying to start a ruckus, but what will a 303 do that a 30-06 will not?the 30-06 Handi has an excellent reputation for reliabity and accuracy with a larger selection of bullets available. Just Wondering ;D
It will not share ammo with my SMLE No 1 or 4.
 :)

Offline Airsporter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 07:41:20 AM »

Spanky

+2

Offline Jone

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 08:09:01 AM »
I would prefer 7,62x53R. ;)

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 09:08:40 AM »
I have 308s so I don't need an 06 just like and want the 303
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 06:27:41 AM »
It will not share ammo with my SMLE No 1 or 4.
 :)

+1
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline semperfi1970

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 03:52:44 AM »
Good luck with that 303 brit thing.  I never much cared for the 303 but after all Britain is responcable for Grey Earl tea and scones.  Looking at the 303 is like looking at a scone (blan and tastless), I would rather have a good old american jelly filled (.308 win.) doughnut.  Lets let the 303 rest in peace along side the Supermarine Spitfire MK1 and Beetlemania.

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 04:44:20 AM »
semperfi,Maybe a lot of military .303's are resting in peace.I have a sporter which sees a lot of hunting time.
The only thing left of the original Enfield is the action which has been "slicked up".The barrel is Parker Hale as are the iron sights,the stock is Bishop and the scope is vintage Weaver.One of the most accurate hunting rifles I have ever had.My point is,don't sell the cartridge short.It will do anything a .308WIN will do.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 05:08:09 AM »
You may be right, if handloaded to the capabilities of the action...+ it has a rim, which many of us like for a single shot (incurable romantics?). If all we did 'this' for was to use the most efficient/effective cartridge (what ever that means) it wouldnt be nearly as interesting. The reason any of these vintage cartridges still exist is there is a strong enough market following to support it. Suffer no illusions, if the money isnt there the manufacturers will drop your favorite like a hot horseshoe, especially these days. Point in case, the old 25-20SS, a very popular and accurate cartridge and the parent case for a number of also popular wildcats. Gone, long ago (yes, I know they are 'supposed' to be available, but has anyone actually got any recently?).
I have a hard time getting excited about a non-rimmed case for a SS. I also have a hard time getting excited about $2 + (yes, $2.00 plus!) per stick of a current made lot of vintage style brass. Takes the fun out of it for me.
So, with my 30+ yrs. in the shooting sports I suggest you with arcane cartridges get as many as you can now.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 07:21:12 AM »
It's the rimmed part of the round which makes it attractive in a handi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 07:27:09 AM »
The rim is a moot point, it's the lower pressures of most rimmed chamberings that make them most suitable for H&Rs, older ejector barrels were prone to sticking brass with rimless chamberings only due to the higher rimless pressures, that too is a moot point on modern extractor barrels which work fine with rimless rounds.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline silver surfer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 05:34:55 PM »
"Not trying to start a ruckus, but what will a 303 do that a 30-06 will not?" :-\; that's a good question that deserves a good answer.

I would start with saying, #1 that with equal loadings it has less felt recoil.  Secondly, I would say that with less recoil and excellent accuracy bullets on target become more common.  Thirdly, I would say that like the 38-55, and 45-70 this was originally designed for black powder and can still be shot with BP or it's substitutes.  How cool is that?! ;D

This is a truly classic cartridge with more stories and lore than even the venerable 30-06.  From African big game, to mankind's biggest games, that gun has seen them all.  (Yes I'm a nostalgia buff.)  This loading in a Handi would be great for the gun and the brand, let's not forget our neighbors to the north that still use that round today.  Oh I forgot the Aussies, the NZ's, Indians (Hindu), and what's left of GB.

Hands down, with a proper hand loading that caliber is more than an equal to a .308, .270, and even a 30-06 in standard loadings from a bolt action.  In a strong SS.... hmmm, that might change for the better. 

I'm not knocking the .30 calibers they have a well earned reputation, but the .311 calibers have a reputation that is equally impressive.  A modern rifle chambered in that classic rimmed cartridge would be a seller.  America relied on the 30-06, our allies relied on the .303.
"Blamin a gun for shootin people is like blamin your pencil for misspellin a word!"
  Larry the Cable Guy

Offline rsl

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 06:13:22 PM »
7.62  X 54 R I'm with Spanky on this one..  Sign me up..

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 05:16:04 AM »
Not trying to start a ruckus, but what will a 303 do that a 30-06 will not?

Well there Jeepmann, all that carbon die-ox-hide and other obnoxous fumes you been subjectin yoself to musta clouded you thinkin a mite.   :-\  Let me 'splain sumpin to ya... Cart-a-ges is like wimmins... so the men folk gonna look at cartages like they look at wimmins.  Now the pernt you got to understand is that not all men folk look at wimmins the same way!

You keepin up with me here boy?

The fact that different men look at wimmins in different ways ain't the wimmin's fault.  That's cause, when you get right down to it, wimmins all do pretty much the same thing.  One may perform a particular aspect of one of her... um... primary functions a bit better then another, but they all can do it all.  ::)

And, as you pointed out, it's the same with cart-a-ges!  A 22 will kill a bear but it's better at huntin 'possums; a 45-120 will kill a 'possum but it's a lot better at shootin bear!  To extend the analogy back to wimmins, one may be better at...  :-\  ... hummmmm, let me think on that a spel... family forum and all that...  :(  OH!   :o  Okay, wimmins other primary functions...   :P  One may be better at cookin, and another may be better at cleanin, but they all can do both!   ;D

So now, understaning that all wimmins are basically the same, and now understanding that (rightly so) the male attitude is the main factor here, we can extend that understanding to cart-a-ges, and see why some men find the perfect cart-age for them at an early age and see no reason to look any further, while others try a number of different cart-a-ges, then settle on one they are happy with, forsaking all others...   ::)

Then there are those who make a life's work outa attempting to try out every single cart-age made.  Old or new, sick, lame or lazy, blind, crippled or crazy, it don't make no difference!  If they ain't had it they want it!   ;D

And that my boy is why there will always be a market for the 303, or the short mag, or the ultra mag, or tall wimmins or short wimmins or breathing wimmins.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 05:46:48 AM »
Atlaw, AMEN  ;D     Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 05:48:12 AM »
No ruckus found Jeepman :),  My whole purpose to starting this thread was just wishful thinking for a rimmed cartridge with a superb history in both civilian and military worlds.    I have two 30-06 rifles and actually use my carbine for most of my hunting.   However I have used the 303 quite a bit over the years although a 9 lb enfield is a bit heavy to carry all day.  The Handi platform is perfect for the rimmed cartridges.

The 30-06 can do everything a 303 can and then some.    But I prefer rimmed cartridges for my Handis.  My thinking is that if Ruger can do it then H&R could easily do it too.    They would have a market for it on several continents ( the old Empire).  
Richard - love your analogies.......so does this mean ifn I gets me a 303 Handi I'll be cheatin on my 30-06? ??? ;) :D

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 06:03:26 AM »
so does this mean ifn I gets me a 303 Handi I'll be cheatin on my 30-06? ???

Hey Greg!

Nope!  And that's the one difference between cart-a-ges and wimmins!  Cart-a-ges (or guns for that matter) don't care if if you want to try out another cart-age!  Or another hundred cart-a-ges!  Heck, you can even try out two or more at one time!  And your 30-06 will join in if you want!   ;D

Try that with wimmins...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 06:17:56 AM »
 ;D Ifn I tried dat wit a wimmins she might go get my cart-a-ges and see how they work on me! :D

Offline djw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 06:50:02 AM »
*snip wisdom*...
And that my boy is why ... or breathing wimmins.

The first question that came to my mind as I read this:  Is AtlLaw not married, or is he VERY confident his wife doesn't read this forum? ;D

Or, did he find one o' dem wimmins wid a sense o' humer?

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 07:29:16 AM »
Suffice it to say I have the PERFECT woman for me!   ;D  AND she never reads the forums...   ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit