Author Topic: Hey Wyoming, almost turkey time!  (Read 1168 times)

Offline bearmgc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Hey Wyoming, almost turkey time!
« on: March 11, 2010, 03:36:36 PM »
Who's going turkey hunting? I'm getting my gear ready.  ;D April 1st, area 3.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Hey Wyoming, almost turkey time!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:31:40 PM »
Turkeys? You guys have turkeys out there with all that snow? What the heck do they eat in winter? I know they can't dig thru 10' of snow.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 04:45:59 AM »
We're pretty much overrun with them on the east slope of the Big Horns.  They've moved down off the face onto all the farms and ranches.  Turkey hunting around here isn't quite as sporting as it is in some places.   The only time you need to camo up and get the calls out is if that's the way you want to do it.  Most of the time you can pretty much just spot and stock them because they're living out in the open.

Offline bearmgc

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:02:59 AM »
Stoic turkeys, that's what they are. Not like those sissy southern ones. ;D They will follow the creeks down, and find a southern hillside where the sun melts it down.

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:24:44 PM »
spring turkey will get going her pretty soon in Arizona,but like everything else it's a draw proposition only.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 09:23:09 AM »
 ;D ;D, Can hardly wait...when I taught school it was a weekend proposition!!!!!! A long drive to hunt for a short time, then back to the saltmine...Now, I load the trailer, dogs, girlfriend, guns, and go til season ends or the tags are full...It sure is an enjoyable way to hunt gobblers....

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 01:39:01 PM »
I understand it is now open here in Bama. I just can't seem to muster any interest in going for them anymore. I don't think I've hunted turkeys now in 12-15 years at least. I kinda enjoy fall season for them but there are only a few counties here with a fall season and I have no land access in them and they aren't that close anyway.

I like to sneak up on them within handgun distance to take them. Just can't get into having to call them into me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »
 :) GB, what handgun and load do you use for gobblers....????? I have thought of giving it a try, especially in the fall...When I was a kid, a guy working for us grew up in the mts. of Pa.  He told me he used to shoot turkeys with his .38 spl. when he was patroling as a deputy game warden...he said, at that time, he could ride up to them on a horse and pick them off with his 38.. I suppose this was somewhere in the 20's or 30's...he took great pleasure in telling me he was to be catching outlaws and he was the outlaw.....

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 05:01:49 PM »
Had a couple jakes walk thru my shooting range today, while I was shooting. If its like last year the big toms will be in the area soon. Them jakes sure tempted fate though. Didnt know I had that kinda will power
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline bearmgc

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 12:45:24 PM »
;D ;D, Can hardly wait...when I taught school it was a weekend proposition!!!!!! A long drive to hunt for a short time, then back to the saltmine...Now, I load the trailer, dogs, girlfriend, guns, and go til season ends or the tags are full...It sure is an enjoyable way to hunt gobblers....

Yep, you sure got the right idea. When Wyoming warms up, its a grand experience. Campgrounds everywhere, nobody around. Might even spot a bear. I just love it.

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 03:28:19 PM »
 :D bearmagc, one of my friends in north Wy. is checking the snow level in the Bk. Hills...we plan to go about the 17 th of April if all looks good...Do you hunt that area or one of the others....

Offline bearmgc

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 03:34:48 PM »
I love hunting in the Sundance/ black Hills area, but its just too far anymore for me. I usually go above Buffalo or Shell in the bighorns because its a shorter drive. In a few years, I hope to be retired and do what you're doing. I'm so envious.

Offline bearmgc

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 03:36:06 PM »
Out Sundance way, I usually went the 3rd week in April.

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 05:46:11 PM »
 ;D that is about the time this trip is planned..the old bio. for the area told me the 20th was about the peak of the season...as far as gobblers go...I remember one time I was there and there were gobblers calling from every ridge!!!!! Didn 't get a one that year....but I have made up for it since...Retirement is wonderful...take it when you can...we can always make more money, but we only have so much time...good hunting...

Offline bearmgc

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 08:52:24 AM »
Good hunting to you and yours. Have fun. ;D

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 09:02:19 AM »
 >:( :(  Wow, todays snow storm doesn't look like turkey season should look, it looks more like elk season...we got about 6 or 8 inches of the stuff........

Offline bearmgc

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 11:11:57 AM »
Holy cow! We just got some rain, but its stil heavy overcast.