Author Topic: .357 Mag TALO Trapper on the Way!  (Read 1149 times)

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.357 Mag TALO Trapper on the Way!
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:55:23 PM »
OK, it's all y'all's fault! I have hung around here for a few years now and just can't take it any more. I ordered it today, should be here about Tuesday. Got on the reamer list earlier to make it a Max, so I am all in! I am even going to make my first attempt at barrel fitting...I have an old .410 barrel laying around that will make it a combo. Of course I had to justify it with the better half, so it will "Officially" be for my granddaughter.
In all seriousness, I want to thank everyone on here for all the great information that gets traded back and forth, it realy makes these little guns more enjoyable.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: .357 Mag TALO Trapper on the Way!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:33:01 PM »

You are going to like the 357 Max, But I think you
 should post pictures. Enjoy   Datil

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:55:29 PM »
The 357 Max is one of my favorite barrels, you are going to like it ;) I see another handiolic in the making. Pictures and range report is mandatory ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:23:17 PM »
NICE... Upon arrival, PICS please...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 01:16:03 AM »
iam workin on one , but the 2 local FFL's i have cant get them , found outthe word talo means  avalible thru small distrib. only . both mine deal with larger ones, and cant get them , ??? anyone else find this out?

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 03:32:46 AM »
My Candy Store had to go through Davidson's to get mine. They still had 10 yesterday morning.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 07:07:02 AM »
I will post pics as soon as it comes in, if my wife will let use her camera...she's been rather quiet since I told her about ordering it! She knows it is really for my granddaughter, but the problem is she is only 5 months old right now! Grandpa just needs some time to iron the gun out and get is shooting right for her.
I will also come back with some after pics. I am really considering a little wood work on the butstock...I love the straight grip on my .45-70 BC and think a light recoiling little carbine just begs for the same.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 12:08:47 PM »
I got the call from my local FFL and I can pick mine up in the morning. I also got mine from Davidson's and to make it a two-fer, Bud's also delivered a .22 mag. Sportster to the dealer so I can get both tomorrow! I'm still debating with myself on whether to change it to a Maximum or not.
Don

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:38:46 PM »
 Big Blue

So on the way home in the morning, You are going to the range for a picture opt? ;D

Lonny

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 01:38:06 PM »
Big Blue

So on the way home in the morning, You are going to the range for a picture opt? ;D

Lonny

Lonny,
I'd love to, but here's the forecast:
we expect a windy and rainy day with some of the rain coming down at a pretty good clip from time to time. We need to be on guard for flooding problems on Saturday and Sunday, especially of poor drainage areas, streets and highways, streams, creeks and perhaps possibly some of the rivers. Rainfall amounts could total 2 to 4 inches with this storm but we could also see locally higher amounts as well.  :'( I'll still try to get a few photos.
Don

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 02:07:49 PM »
Be sure and include the "official " owner in the pics! ;D I will bet she is much prettier than the proud Grandpa ::)
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 05:18:17 PM »
Big Blue, you must have beat me to the .22 mag, they didn't have any more when my order went in. I've been hankerin' for one of those as well...I mean Aubrey has!!!
Jeepman you are absolutely right on that! She is pretty in pink right now, but I will be working to at least change that to pink camo when she gets older. I'm already trying to teach her the rear naked choke on her dolls...got to start early these says...boys just aren't as respectful as they used to be!

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 12:25:32 PM »
I will post pics as soon as it comes in, if my wife will let use her camera...she's been rather quiet since I told her about ordering it! She knows it is really for my granddaughter, but the problem is she is only 5 months old right now! Grandpa just needs some time to iron the gun out and get is shooting right for her.
I will also come back with some after pics. I am really considering a little wood work on the butstock...I love the straight grip on my .45-70 BC and think a light recoiling little carbine just begs for the same.

so how goes the talo?

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: .357 Mag TALO Trapper on the Way! ** UPDATE**
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Shaner, just got it in this afternoon. SWEET! It has the old style fore end, not the schnabel. It also has a VERY tall blade front sight that is going to have to be filed down. I shot a few rounds through it this afternoon at 75 yards. The rear sight is almost all the way up and it is hitting 4" low. My only real complaint is the finish work on the recoil pad, or, actually the lack there of. The pad looks like it was roughed to shape and never finished. It is begging for a little trim on the barrel to lighten it a bit, but I will have to ponder that for a while...don't want to lose too much velocity, especially since I plan to Max it. It did not come with the scope base as advertised.
For those that are interested, I measured the firing pin. It is 0.063" diameter with 0.040" protrusion. I compared that to a NK serial numbered 20 gauge, which was 0.074" diameter with 0.050" protrusion. So, it would seem that although it is a SB-1 receiver it has a rifle firing pin and hole. This makes me feel better about Maxing it.
The best part is that the candy store owner (a Rossi Dealer) absolutely loved it and wants to order himself one. I think this is great because he pushes Rossi's over Handi's and doesn't keep handi's in stock.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 01:25:39 AM »
well sounds like its has some potential  , 4in low wow sure does need some filing down hahahah iam still workin on someone to order one , got a lead yesterday on a shop a ways off, that said he  could getthem buti need to drive over and plop down 20 % to order