Author Topic: Of Dixie GW and nipples...  (Read 1864 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Of Dixie GW and nipples...
« on: March 12, 2010, 05:54:29 AM »
I ordered one each of the Tresco/Ampco nipples for my Uberti 36 and Pietta 44 from DGW.  One each?   ???  you say!  Why yes.  You see, if it is possible to get the wrong one of anything, I will find a way to do it.   :-[  Used to happen to me with wimmins all the time!   ::)  Anyway I figured I'd get one of what I thought was the correct nipple.  If I was right I'd order 5 more.   :P

Well, they were out of the metric nipple for the 1860 Pietta but sent me the inch nipple for the Uberti.  I now see the inch nipple they sent (NP1092) is marked for the Ruger.   ::)  They apparently don't have the correct nipple for the Uberti.   :-\

Don't make no nevermind noway, it wouldn't screw into the Uberti...  :(  But it DID screw into the supposedly metric Pietta!   :o  Tell ya the truth boys, I don't know what I got... or should get!   :'(

I'm gonna order a set of nipples, and a TC capper, from TOTW.  Anyone care to give me what they think are the correct TOTW stock numbers for the nipples for the Pietta 1860 Army and the Uberti 1861 Navy?

If anyone wants the Tresco nipple, DGW stock # NP1092, let me know and it's yours!   ;D  I ain't sure of the size or what it'll fit, but for that price you can't complain!   ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Of Dixie GW and nipples...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:00:43 AM »
If it's for a Ruger,I have a old army that can use it.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:05:38 AM »
That's what they say at DGW; for the Ruger Old Army.  PM me your address and I'll put it in the mail to you.  Worst that can happen is it won't fit...  ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 07:42:37 AM »
If the nipple is really made for a Ruger, then it should screw right into an Uberti.  If it screwed into the Pietta, which it shouldn't even touch the threads of, you either have the cylinders mixed up or it is not a Ruger nipple.  I have Ruger nipples in several Ubertis.

The Pietta thread is M6x0.75.  The Uberti and Ruger nipple thread is #12-28.  If the #12 nipple were expressed as a metric, it would be M5.5x0.90.  That shows the Pietta nipple thread to be .50mm larger than the Uberti/Ruger thread, or .019 inch, and the thread is barely that deep.  A Pietta nipple will not even start in a #12 hole, and a #12 nipple will not tighten up in an 6mm hole, if it touches the sides at all.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline FourBee

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:17:55 AM »

Anyone care to give me what they think are the correct TOTW stock numbers

Wish I could help AtlLaw.  I had all those #'s stored in a little USB memory stick and the thing has  jammed up on me. :'(
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:07:20 AM »
A Pietta nipple will not even start in a #12 hole, and a #12 nipple will not tighten up in an 6mm hole, if it touches the sides at all.

And what happened was this nipple would not start in the Uberti hole but would tighten up fine in the Pietta hole.  So you see my confusion as they had it marked as the 12-28 Ruger nipple...  :-\  No tellin what it fits...  ::)  Well, it's passed on to the Kid now.  I'm sure he'll let us know what happens when he tries it in his Ruger.   ;D

Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:13:45 AM »
Wish I could help AtlLaw.

You can 4B!   ;D  Pretend you're going to get a set a AMPCO nipples for your Pietta Army and Uberti Navy.  Got to the TOTW website, look up what you think are the correct nipples from their discription, and let me know what the stock numbers are!  I'll compare what you find with what I've selected.   ;)

Buying a set of nipples shouldn't be this complicated...  :'(
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline FourBee

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »
Buying a set of nipples shouldn't be this complicated..

I know; I'd searched and studied all that, and finally figured out what I needed, and stored it in that USB. >:( >:( >:(
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline brpc

• http://www.rpcrange
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 05:53:06 AM »
AtlLaw:

Why were you ordering nipples anyway?  Was it possibly to get a more reliable percussion cap fit?  I just went through this with my Uberti NMA is why I ask.

Smart move on ordering just one nipple to test....wish I had done the same.

Where do you shoot in the Atlanta area?  I'm not far from you.....I think.

Jim

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 06:06:01 AM »
Track of The Wolf posts a good, easy to use chart that explains exactly what each nipple fits.

Revolver nipples are near the bottom of the first page.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/TableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=171&styleID=785     
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 06:25:43 AM »
Why were you ordering nipples anyway?

Hey Jim!
A better cap fit is the primary reason.  The German caps fit better then the CCI's, but still not perfectly.  I like perfect!   ;D  I shoot at Riverbend Gun Club.  It's 40 Miles NE of me here in Kennesaw so it's a LONG way from you.  Are there any ranges down your way?

Track of The Wolf posts a good, easy to use chart that explains exactly what each nipple fits.

Hey CP,
They sure do!  That's where I wanted somebody to go and tell me what stock numbers to get.   :D  I've already been there and done that, but like I said, if there's a way to get something wrong, I'll find  it.   :-[  So I wanted to verify my opinion with someone else's.   ;D  Like I tell my baby lawyers, Elliott's Idioms: 1) Trust No One, 2) Believe Nothing, 3) Double Check Everything
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline brpc

• http://www.rpcrange
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 07:11:33 AM »
Hey AtlLaw!

I shoot in Cataula.  Here is website:

http://www.muscogeelongrifles.com/index.html

I did get some Treso nipples.  They were an improvement but worked best with RWS 1075 caps.  The issue Uberti nipples worked better with CCI #10's after chucking them up in a drill and "polishing" them with scotbrite (green pad). 

Neither were 100% reliable on the first go around, but all fired on the second hit.

Haven't tried any Remington caps yet...don't know where to get them.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 02:15:09 PM »
Just phone "Track" at 763 633-2501. tell them what you need and they will get it to you.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 12:25:17 PM »
Hey K. Kid!  I finally got that nipple in the mail a couple of days ago!   I can't believe it's been 2 months!  ::)  I told ya I had a hard time getting to the post office!   ;D

Let me know if (when) you got it.
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Rex in OTZ

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »
The very back of the Brownells gun parts catalog has a Uberti section in the very back of the paper catalog I orderd a hand for my Piatta 1860  it fit better than OEM, should be able to online order nipples right from Brownells.com