Author Topic: Win 70 30-06 project completed  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Win 70 30-06 project completed
« on: March 12, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »
I finally have completed my pet rifle project.  This beauty started out as a reg Win 70 stainless classic in 30-06. It had the ugly black synthetic stock on it.  I sent it to Hill Country Rifles for their accuryzing package and we decided to add a McMillan stock with the Edge technology to keep the weight down.  I got the rifle back when I returned home from my latest deployment back in November. I had it transferred to my local FFL who sells a few guns but his main business is Duracoating. He offered to coat it for free and so I had a decision to make....What color do I go with? I kicked the idea around for a few months and finally decided on Magpul Flat Earth.  I am really happy with how this project turned-out.  I have just a few more "finishing touches" but it is ready to hunt as is. 
   I shot it at 60yds a few days ago to get it on paper.  I used Hornady factory ammo with their 180gr Interlock SP.  This is the same ammo HCR got 5/8" groups with at their facility.  I'm not a very good shot, but it would nearly stack the shots at 60yds.  It was getting real hard to tell if I had hit in the same spot or if I had missed completely. P.S. I didn't miss.  ;)
  The scope is a Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50 and the rings are the solid Talley lightweights.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: Win 70 30-06 project completed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »
Good deal there DinnY.
It should give you many years of enjoyment while saving you lots of $$ on the grocery bill!  ;)

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline wallynut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »
Looking good there Dinny.  I started my own little project with a Win M70 in 300wm. You've given me some ideas, so thanks.

Thanks for your service also.
aim small, miss small

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:12:45 PM »
Looking good there Dinny.  I started my own little project with a Win M70 in 300wm. You've given me some ideas, so thanks.

Thanks for your service also.

It's my honor!  I just loaded up some 168gr Berger VLDs using their own reloading guidelines. The bullets loaded .010" from the rifling shot into 1/2" at 100yds. I'm gonna try another 6 rounds loaded .005" longer and shorter to see if there is a noticeable difference.  I figure it's grouping great now, but what do I have to lose by loading 6 more to find the ultimate sweet spot.

BTW, I had to change the scope rings to Talley's signature series rings and bases. The one's pictured didn't mate-up well enough for my liking.  Talley made it all good though.  :)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline wallynut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »
That doesn't sound like too bad of a group.  Tweaking the load might just get there.  Keep notes and keep trying.
aim small, miss small

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 02:43:09 PM »
I had to make a few changes; the scope was replaced with a Leupold VX-3 with CDS and the loads tweaked. Finally everything has come together like one happy family.  ;D  I love the rifle and the scope and the rifle absolutely loves those Berger H-VLDs! Today I shot 3 into 5/8" at 150yds. When I get more time I'm going back farther and farther, I think this load will hold up for many more hundreds of yards.

This one ain't for sale, it's a keeper!!!  ;) :D ;D

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 03:03:34 AM »
Hey Dinny:  that really looks good and I am working to pattern my (older) M70 project into something similar to yours. 

Mine is a pre-war M70 that came with a HART bull barrel that HART re-contoured to a pre-war sporter configuration and now I'm trying to stock it.  Have had major headaches trying to find a stock but agreed with the gunsmith to take the large and heavy target stock that came with it, as it is the only stock we know of that fits the action, and re-contour that to mimick the pre-war sporter stock configuration.

The large target stock that came with it is a laminate that the gunsmith says has nice grain to it but it is in a brown/black color scheme - I would like to wash that out and make it a grey/black color scheme to better match the old blued action and stainless barrel; it might work.........

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »
Mikey,
  It looks like you have a good start on a fine rifle.  Please post pics when you get it done.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine