« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2010, 11:32:02 AM »
I believe the pie plate thing but I didn't think anyone could hit a 1 iron  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline painted horse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: NERVES
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2010, 01:43:38 PM »
Never tried a 1 iron.  Can still hit a 2 iron,  just not as far as I used to. I'll be 64 in Sept. I think the important part for us is to just keep swingin...I'm in on the pie thing.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 06:23:06 AM »
I feel your pain Will.
This arthiritis in my hands has just about taken all my outdoors fun away.
I still shoot a lot, but with lighter loads.
Golf.........not anymore.
First time I couldn't hang on to a club was the last.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
Just returned from a trip to Colorado to visit my son and grandson and am catching up on reading these enjoyable posts. If I might add anything it is to .......practice. We live, work and shoot by our habits - good or bad.

Good practice develops good habits and ......well, you know the rest.

Ken

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2010, 03:20:55 AM »
i have found that a few vodka and orange juice helps the speed of my rocking chair. got guns in my safe that i have not got around to shooting yet.  had some work i needed done arount the house so i hired a couple of young guys to do the work. watching them move around so easley was a damn shame. i wonder if they ever went skinny dipping, or heard of Bo Diddley.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 02:38:35 PM »
I may have been a little hasty in my brag in the previous post.  Lately my hands shake like a dog trying to pass a peach seed.  The agressive chemo schedule has really worked me over, a seven hour sesion last Monday, with a 2 1/2 hour session each day the remainder of the week left me shaking like a leaf in a hurricane.  And to think I have two more days of chemo next week.  After that I will be off the chemo for at least three weeks, will have to wait and see if my hand steadys up again, or how it will be once the treatment is over,

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 05:56:19 PM »
I'm 67 now and I tell all the young'in " getting old ain't for sissies!" it either don't work or hurts when it does... My nerves use to be steady as a rock but went to a bowling pin shooting match with my son this weekend, and did fine the first round, second round firing pin wouldn't hit the primer, trying to hurry and switch guns got in a rush and got shaking and couldn't settle down... messed up the whole rest of the match :)  it was still fun, but it gets me when I can't keep it together :-\ guess my nerves will never be the same again, use to outshoot my kids all the time now I need a handi-cap  ;D
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 06:39:04 PM »
I have a game in mind.
Every round of shooters must first devour the pie--run to the target and put up the pie plate and return to the fireing line.
Each shooter will be timed and be penalized by seconds for the time it takes too get back to the fireing line.
Then the first to get ten shots on the plate -with the penalty seconds added in --wins the pot for that round.
Some charity could furnish the pies for a charge.
Maybe--you could get seconds off your time if you ate two pies.
 ;D
I can see it all now in technicolor.
Think pie would settle the nerves or would the wretching stomach play havoc?
Blessings

Hey wouldn`t this handicap us guys with dibetes??
With all that sugar hitting the body  a sight picture would be a challenge! ;D
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »
Sugar free pie ---OR----if'n you is real good--that is the handi-cap. ;) :-*
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 03:57:55 AM »
I may have been a little hasty in my brag in the previous post.  Lately my hands shake like a dog trying to pass a peach seed.  The agressive chemo schedule has really worked me over, a seven hour sesion last Monday, with a 2 1/2 hour session each day the remainder of the week left me shaking like a leaf in a hurricane.  And to think I have two more days of chemo next week.  After that I will be off the chemo for at least three weeks, will have to wait and see if my hand steadys up again, or how it will be once the treatment is over,

Hang in there Rockbilly, My own Chemo was twice a week for five Months (had to quit that as the erbitux swelled both my eyes shut) and once a week for an additional five Months. This left me with (Dead hands) and truth be known, I had no business hunting that 2008 Deer season. The only reason that I did do this was that I completed three different range sessions with the S/A firing just 10 shots per session and that revolver never did go off before I wanted it to.

Mine was never the shaking hands but they would cramp with some digits drawing inward on their own. My typing skills went from the 55wpm range down to 10-15wpm and I would have to sign my name by grasping the pen and using my forearm strenght to make the pen strokes.

Most food tasted too bad to eat and I survived that Summer on oranges, oatmeal, and hot chocolate.
Most objects became too cold to touch, even a glass of tap water. My administration Nurses told me to be glad that it was not Winter and I knew exactly what they were talking about.
This would include my inner mouth and throat, it was like needles going down unless it was hot or sat at room temp for a good while.
My weight went down by 37lbs but I still had a little over 200lbs on my 6'-3" frame.
Basically, I felt like I had been hit by a Mack truck as you could have knocked me down like a feather, I told my very understanding Wife that I thought my Libido had gone down to the south pole.

Chemo was complete in Sept of 08' and I was back to work in mid Oct. It was too soon but I held my own ok. Hunted Deer in Nov as said but I spent 1-1/2Hr doing what I could usually do in 40min. You will do ok but just remember to take your time.

March 2010: 1-1/2 years have passed since the Last Chemo and I recieved a good report on the results of a colonoscopy, Cat scan and Blood tests. I am basically back to 100% although my hands can be numb & tingle At Times. I can still feel pain in my right thumb and my bare feet feel like I have a soft pair of Moccisons on as they really have not got much better. My Libido is back!...I am happy and thankful on the whole and looking forward to a good 2 yr checkup. If this is so, the chances of those bad cells coming back goes way down.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 09:30:13 AM »
glanceblamm. I am experiencing some of the problems you outlined, the fingers and toes seem to curl in and cramp at will, it usually helps to warm the hands or feet when this happens to relive the pain.

I haven’t lost much weight, this morning I had a Dr appointment, weighed in at 232.7, down from my long time average of 250.  As for eating, mashed potatoes and pudding have been my saving grace.  I haven’t experienced much throat pain from the radiation, but it difficult to swallow sometimes, especially meat and bread, cold drinks and extremely hot drinks are all but out of the diet, but I have found that by using a straw it makes it easier to swallow, I still nurse my iced tea (green tea now).

I’m 70 years old, survived a gunshot wound back in the 60s that left several pieces of shrapnel in my head, hip and one fairly large piece in the heart.  When I was hit the military doctors checked me over, gave me a clean bill of health and sent me back to duty, it was 30 years later that my cardiologist discovered the piece in my heart, after going down my throat and checking the left lung (same one with cancer) they determined the piece passed through the lung and lodged in my heart.  Everyone said I should have been dead THEN, first my lung should have collapsed, and then the heart stop, they said I was running on 100 proof adrenaline to have survived.

I consider this just another bump in the road of life, I will survive and hopefully make a bear hunt trip this fall and a road trip to Alaska next summer. ;) ;)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2010, 05:28:33 PM »
Rockbilly, I hope that you have a great time on that bear hunt and enjoy your trip to Alaska.   If getting shot in the lungs and heart didn't stop you the big 'C' doesn't stand a chance.  You are in my prayers.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 04:45:05 AM »
I consider this just another bump in the road of life, I will survive and hopefully make a bear hunt trip this fall and a road trip to Alaska next summer

This will go without saying. Brett has taken the words right out of my mouth!

Offline BIGDAVE54

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »
I was proud as ever all of last year when I bought a very badly used Savage .17 HMR,rebuilt it from the ground up,and started shooting with a friend of mine and his 22 yr. old son. I have known this guy for over 20 years and have been going to his 56 acre sort of farm for the past few years to shoot clays. I held my own all of last year with the .17 HMR with practicing almost every week. I load 4 rounds in my 5 round magazines because I have 4 brand new mags and the one I bought with the rifle seems fairly new.
    Last Saturday evening we were shooting on our little 50 yd. range we have marked off and built target backs for. I noticed as soon as it starting getting just a little dark  I got blind as a bat. My bud and his son both looked through my scope and put 4 inside the quarter sized ring at the center of our homemade targets. I have a 4x16 by40mm Centerpoint scope on it with the backlight system in green or red. I tried both colors and still blind as a bat. About a month ago at that same time of evening I put 3 rounds into the same hole with that rifle. I know it is getting darker earlier,but I am just loosing the abillity to shoot in lower light..I'm heading into my latter 50s agewise.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 04:47:03 AM »
It is interesting how the mind/body can work. My mother never shot or hunted. When I was a kid I distinctly remember her spotting a rabbit in her strawberry patch that was about 40 yards or so from the porch. She grabbed our old model 12 and shot that rabbit through the head. On another occasion my father killed a running coyote that had stole one of his chickens. Now what was unusual about it was that my father was in his 80s, had a bad palsy (couldn't of hit a five gallon bucket at 25 feet if he tired to aim and shoot) it was low light at daybreak, the coyote was running about 25 yards away and he dropped it with one shot of a .22 short that hit the coyote through the ear. The chicken was dropped and ran back to the chicken house unhurt.
GuzziJohn

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2010, 05:11:27 AM »
OLD ??---Let me tell you about old.
I been practicing for this pie plate shoot by eating a piece of pie and trowing the plate up in the air and shootin AT it.
The other day I ate the plate and threw the pie in the air.
I am not telling the story to complain about my memory--I am bragging about my reflexes gettin better-----I caught that piece of pie before it hit the ground---and ate it.
 ;D :o ::) :-*
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline temmi

• Avid Poster
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2010, 10:05:59 AM »
I know what you mean… I taught my sons to shoot… and I always outshot them.

That is until our last outing… and my 2 oldest beat me with pistols no less.  There comes a time when it all catches up with us… they say it beats the alternative.

All that said it was a bitter sweet moment.

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2010, 11:27:03 AM »
If one still has confidence thats all you need.

Offline crazylikeafox

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2010, 04:43:17 AM »
I hope to live long enough to tell the stories and see the things you guys have seen.  Many of you remind me of my grandfather who passed away a couple months ago at the age of 85.  You guys would have loved him.  He died handgrabbing catfish in the MS resevoir, one knocked his air mask off as he tried to bring him up.  Thanks alot guys for teaching us younger generation how to be a real man.

Sincerely,
Ryan

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2010, 05:18:20 PM »
OLD ??---Let me tell you about old.
I been practicing for this pie plate shoot by eating a piece of pie and trowing the plate up in the air and shootin AT it.
The other day I ate the plate and threw the pie in the air.
I am not telling the story to complain about my memory--I am bragging about my reflexes gettin better-----I caught that piece of pie before it hit the ground---and ate it.
 ;D :o ::) :-*
Blessings

Good for you - it's a sin to waste good pie!!!

;D  ;D  ;D