Author Topic: Well, There it was,  (Read 819 times)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Well, There it was,
« on: March 13, 2010, 05:18:33 PM »
 Layin on the table at a gunshow, surrounded by a group of bolt guns and a few pumps. It drew me in,,to my eye it seemed to shine, you know, that "glow" they seem to have?
 A ser# NP SB2 NEF. But what's this? Open sights on it an no rail? Stamped on the barrel is;

Handi Rifle SB2
cal 45-70 GOV'T  P

Price tag on it was 225. So I asked the guy if I could pull the forearm, he say's sure and steps off to get a screwdriver, I told him I have one ;), when I lifted the barrel I said "Gee, that's too bad",,"What?" he says, "Well ya see how those 3 numbers match the ser#?, If those where stamped in the lug instead of scribed,,,".
 Before he could question further, I dipped my finger too the lug and pulled up some oil,,"That ain't good either, I say's, "This thing could have pop open trouble,,but I like to tinker with these things,,I'll give ya 200 cash."

He made the face but we cut the deal. ;D ;D
So I gots me a 45-70 that is actually in great shape, bore and rifling looks to be new, blueing is great with 1 tiny mark by the front sight and not a ding in the wood at all! Nice trigger too.;D It ain't a BC but I'm a Happy Camper!
HEE, HEE HEEEE! :D :D I gotta go add one to the How many list up-top!
found elsewhere

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Well, There it was,
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 05:30:19 PM »
Congrats, nice dealin!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »

You old Jew, I don't know about you. Take the man gun at a bargin price.
 Congrats, Maybe some will learn about these little jewels  Datil

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 12:26:11 AM »
Good score Necchi!!

One of my first H&Rs where a std model 45/70!!! It's a good one, I KNOW you will engoy it!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 01:53:28 AM »
Everybody needs a 45-70. Good deal on a great rifle, life is good.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 05:35:52 AM »
Nice score and good bargining, He didn't lose money or he wouldn't have sold it. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 06:07:16 AM »
Now with some CR-45 carbine wood on it you will have a real sleeper!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 08:18:05 AM »
Just a follow up,
 After a closer inspection and a little tuning, I can guess why this gun was on the table.
 I'll bet she had pretty serious pop open trouble. The latch was not only oily, it was greased! There was a nicley applied evenly distributed layer of gun grease all along the latch. After cleaning that, I did a smoke job on the shelf to check engagement and there is/was just a small, maybe 1/16th" contact on one side of the shelf.
 This seems to be a factory fitted barrel, it's amazing the little fitting they do, and leave the rest to "break in".
 I filed the high side of the shelf down a tad and have better contact (more than half) and I think I'll leave it there till I've had a chance to put some rounds down the tube.
 So someone Didn't find this web site, and probably gave up on Handi's. Sad in a way, but their loss was my gain. The boy's 708 locked up really well without any further modification, but I have to prove it on the range. All I have to do is swap out the rubber butt for a flat plate, both of us need a LOP less than the standard 14"'s they furnish.
found elsewhere

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 08:30:55 AM »
Come on you can't just swap plates. What is the fun in that? Cut it down and refinish it and then put on your plate!

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 09:02:02 AM »
 ;D :D
 Been there done that! I've cut more than a few just to get'm down to 12 1/2 for the boy as he was growin. He's 17 now and I told'im I'm not cuttin any more!
 I put a White Line Pachmayr on his sb1 several years back and I should pass it on, but he's not sure he's ready. I got a 12 barrel for it that he still needs to try, it should convice him. ;) Heck, he even tries the 20 at some clays and he should get tired of kissin his hand!
 He loves that little 20, it fit and he's done so well with it. It's part of his growing up, ya know? But little boy's on bikes turn into big boy's with 4-wheel F-150's all too soon  :-[
found elsewhere