Author Topic: Improving Accuracy of "Tin Can" Mortar Projectiles  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: Improving Accuracy of "Tin Can" Mortar Projectiles
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2010, 10:24:31 PM »
  Having worked on quite a few Nasa contract rocket and Space Schuttle parts....

O-rings?

Juuuuuuust kidding  ;D

I hope for a successful launch.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2010, 03:34:47 AM »
Dare we hope that you will bring one of these mechanical marvels to WV in July?
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2010, 03:41:22 AM »
Thinking back to my City Cop-Deputy Sheriff days and some of the bar fight calls I responded to, I think it might be hard to improve on the trajectory some of those drunk fishermen and loggers were able to achieve....I recall a perfectly round hole in the windshield  and an unbroken beer bottle sitting on the front seat of my SGt's car. No fins on that bottle.

I wondered what happened to that beer bottle. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2010, 03:57:28 AM »
That question crossed my mind.  Was the bottle full at the time; and, when chilled, was the evidence verified that it was indeed beer?

;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2010, 06:10:21 AM »
      Sorry to disappoint you, Victor, but I never even saw an O-ring.  I can tell you, however, that working for a big aerospace company brought an unexpected benefit.  Once in the early 80s, I received a jury duty notice.  When the prosecutor questioned me about my occupation, I answered that I was a rocket parts inspector at ABC company.  With a slight scowl on his face he asked,  "Exactly what do you do?"  I explained that, among other things, I inspect the explosive component package that destroys the rocket instantly if it starts to go off course shortly after launch, and before coming down on top of Mickey Mouse in Orlando, Florida.  He used one of his peremptory challenges to get me off the jury immediately.  Apparently prosecutors hate inspectors even worse than engineers!!  I was pleased, to say the least.

Little Seacoast,   I expect that the Fin Guided, Shuttle-Cock, Tin Can, mortar projectile will be trash by then, having been driven into the hard prairie soil more than once.  Well, I hope it's more than once!  There are Absolutely no plans to build another.  But, you know, by then, there will certainly be something else to try out.  We sure do look forward to meeting you, if you can make it. 

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2010, 07:32:06 AM »
Tracy,
How about putting a self deployed parachute on it.  It would save it from self destruction. ;D  It would only add another 50 or 60 hours to the project.  :o
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2010, 09:54:22 AM »

I wondered what happened to that beer bottle. ;D
Zulu

That question crossed my mind.  Was the bottle full at the time; and, when chilled, was the evidence verified that it was indeed beer?

;D

Oh that was back in the olden days....No CSI's back then.  The SGT in question got to be SGT based on longevity not smarts.

He told me to dust it for prints and put it in the evidence locker....he was so mad that he wouldn't listen and couldn't understand why I couldn't get fingers prints off a condensation covered  beer bottle... theses were drunk fisherman and loggers, not college preppies.  They wouldn't throw away a bottle containing perfectly good drinking beer.  

The also know if they grabbed the bottle by the long neck and threw it just right it would fly straight end on and not tumble...I hope Tracy can use this bit street science to help when he reduces the length of his projectile to three time diameter.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2010, 11:10:28 AM »
     No thanks, Zulu, I don't need another minute on this project!  Besides, with the weight of this thing, it would require 3,  36" diameter cargo canopies to let it descend gently.  We have to keep the charge down to 100 or maybe 150 grains to have a chance to see what is going on with the guidance apparatus as she is fired, so I figure we will get 80 to 130 yards distance at 60 deg. elevation out of this test shot.  The apogee at that distance is going to be quite low at maybe, 120 to 150 yards, so the timing for actuating the chute deployment would have to be nearly perfect, to avoid a chute, poop-out on impact.

Thanks for thinking about our safety, Double D.  We really do appreciate it!  Here is good news on that subject:  As I glanced at the vane length the other day and wrote that they would stick out 3 inches beyond the can, I was off in my guesstimate.  The bore dia. is 2.67" and 3 times that is 8.01".  The can is 5.60" long and the vanes only add another 2.275", so the total projectile length is only 7.885".  So, we are good by an 1/8th of an inch!!  See, you needn't worry anymore.   ;D  And to ease your mind a little bit more, we will put a four inch fuse on it so as to step back another ten feet or so.  If, however, you ever think you see me running away in abject terror from any cannon after lighting it's fuse, like those Idiots on U-Tube, just clean your glasses real good, because IT AIN'T ME !!

Offline Double D

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »

Thanks for thinking about our safety, Double D.  We really do appreciate it!  Here is good news on that subject:  As I glanced at the vane length the other day and wrote that they would stick out 3 inches beyond the can, I was off in my guesstimate.  The bore dia. is 2.67" and 3 times that is 8.01".  The can is 5.60" long and the vanes only add another 2.275", so the total projectile length is only 7.885".  So, we are good by an 1/8th of an inch!!  See, you needn't worry anymore.   ;D  And to ease your mind a little bit more, we will put a four inch fuse on it so as to step back another ten feet or so.  If, however, you ever think you see me running away in abject terror from any cannon after lighting it's fuse, like those Idiots on U-Tube, just clean your glasses real good, because IT AIN'T ME !!

Tracy, so glad you took this seriously, I was loosing sleep worrying about it...do you have a shovel, something deep, smelly and sticky here...... ;D

By the way the You tube trick is to cut the fuse to 4 inches and use your photo editing soft ware to cut out the part of you running away...that's why you never see me running away.

Offline lance

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2010, 03:54:10 PM »
I really did quit watching u-tube videos, so you folks post some still shots of this experiment.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2010, 05:24:12 PM »
     Now I know how to do your, "quick get-away" trick, Double D.  You really shouldn't give away all your secrets, DD.  We seasoned citizens need an edge, you know.

Lance,   Mike and I rarely watch those U-tube abominations, so we will try to accommodate you and others, like us, who refuse to sink to that level.  90% of that stuff is pure crap, with a few notable exceptions like the Paulson Bros. clips and Cannonmn's stuff and a few other isolated clips.  Good quality Stills are very elusive, as you know.  The problem is that you can get a nice still of a blank or the muzzle blast of a live round shot, but you won't catch the projectile, other than a gray colored streak or blur.  Further confounding this search for a good quality still of a projectile exiting the bore, is the fact that without very expensive high speed camera equipment and software, you are presented with few options.  One of these is to use 'Frameshots' or a similar, reasonable cost, 'frame-capture software' to grab one particular frame which has the projectile centered and fairly well focused.  The problem with this option is there is a trade-off for getting a fairly well focused, in-flight, projectile, at, say 1,200 frames per second, that of resolution and adequate light.  Despite being in focus, the image will be grainy and dark, not like Nasa's spectacular stills of the Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Booster's upon light-off!  To get quality like that, you need to go north of $100,000 just for the camera.

I can promise that we will try our best, but our equipment is not really, even barely, adequate for this task.

Tracy

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2010, 08:42:21 PM »
 Here's my entry. Can with as many packing peanuts as I could stuff into it under a 2# lead weight pressed/glued on top....

I may get to shoot it tomorrow.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline lance

« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »
Tracy, i have watched Paulson Bro's artillery and Cannonmns artillery in the past, plus a whole lot of other u-tube videos. Guess i got tired of the whole thing, and quit watching videos a while back in time. One thing i didn't see was a Seacoastartillery video, so maybe i'll give it a try. Either way, your still photos are still great.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2010, 01:02:37 AM »
 I tested my low-cost alternative to seacoast's uber-expensive model today, hoping to price them out of the Stabilized Mortar And Can Kinetics (SMACK) market. I've decided to stop talking SMACK and get down to actual field testing.

Here my assistant loads the Deflating Impact Negation Grid (DING-dong) on top of a weighed 80 grains of FG Goex. This formed foil wad is (theoretically) key to overall system performance by reducing pressure at the somewhat fragile packing peanut filled projectile base upon launch...

V3-SCB #1 prototype ready for insertion into the DOM-DCTR launch device...

Ready for launch...

T minus 5...4...3...2...1.......... Liftoff....We have liftoff...

Houston, we've had a problem... (V3-SCB #1 is unstable upon launch)

Forensic examination of major system components...

V3-SCB #1...

Landed on nose after at least one bounce, ~42 yards from launch pad. Major damage to empennage via excessive pressure/failure of DING-dong device (see below).

DING-dong device...

Excessive pressure evidenced by heavy impression of projectile base and significant peripheral degradation.

Conclusion...

Significant projectile stabilization observed prior to impact. Sufficient flight time, increased resilliancy of both internal foam and DING-dong, longer projectile length (improved weight distribution) should improve performance.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2010, 02:41:44 AM »
Congratulations on a successful launch annd recovery.  Major Ding Dong failure it would appear, maybe a stale Little Debbie instead?  Love your mortar, I've got a Dictator in GB and 1" size, now I've gotta get a dingdong guage to complete the triad.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2010, 03:11:47 AM »
 Naw. I should have gone with a moon pie.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2010, 05:02:09 AM »
Now you know with a little cropping the tin foil hat crowd will swear........

Here is proof of UFO's in the desert........  ::)

And this is a fragment of super lightweight material from a crashed UFO.......

The truth is out there........
 ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2010, 05:23:10 AM »
Will I see this on the Science Channel?   ;D

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2010, 06:50:21 AM »
     Victor,   I see that the gaunlet has been thrown down.  With flight conditions less than ideal with a NNW wind at 10 to 15 and gusting in 55 deg, F. air, we are heading for the prairie launch site soon.  Hope to post results this evening, but Mike and a friend want to make some small arms noise too, so we won't be back anytime soon.

KABAR2,  What up with these unexplained aerial phenomena researcher bashing comments.  You do realize that there are quite a few George Norrie and Art Bell listeners out here Coast to Coast, don't you?

See ya later.

Tracy

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2010, 10:48:59 AM »
     Victor,   You have some very nice pics there and it looks like you achieved a notable level of stabilization.  Unfortunately I will not be able to challenge your S.P.L.A.T projectile until Thursday.  Everyone, and I mean everyone had last minute critical tasks to accomplish today.  I don't even have anyone to gather Telemetry Data!  So you are the KING for four days, at least.  Nice going, excellent presentation.

This is what I am hoping for!

Yes, the vanes are a little askew, but this was due to a kitchen table smack-down deployment test of the guidance assy.  Pretty close to the old stake, eh Victor?  Eh, eh?   Disclaimer follows:   Actual test fire results may differ from what you see here.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2010, 01:27:28 PM »
      KABAR2,  What up with these unexplained aerial phenomena researcher bashing comments.  You do realize that there are quite a few George Norrie and Art Bell listeners out here Coast to Coast, don't you?

See ya later.

Tracy

Tracy,

Yes we get both of them late night on one of the local radio stations, not really bashing some of my best friends wear tin foil.......
I just saw the photo's and knew with just a little cropping they could be turned into a UFO sighting......

If you do it wasn't me!
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2010, 02:54:22 PM »
Now you know with a little cropping the tin foil hat crowd will swear........

Here is proof of UFO's in the desert........  ::)

And this is a fragment of super lightweight material from a crashed UFO.......
The truth is out there........
 ;D

THAT explains the smell of sulpher when the UFO's are seen!!!!    ;)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2010, 06:28:57 PM »

See ya later.

Tracy

Tracy,

Yes we get both of them late night on one of the local radio stations, not really bashing some of my best friends wear tin foil.......
I just saw the photo's and knew with just a little cropping they could be turned into a UFO sighting......

If you do it wasn't me!

I'll have to dig into my files and see what tin foil hat wearers I have , This has been a backyard plot on at least one backyark ......picinic . Tracy do you remember any backyard tin foil hats ?

I'll have to see were i put those pics .
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2010, 06:45:49 PM »
Yep here are some Tin Foil Hats/Helmets pics . IIRC it would be Mike Tracy and .....me .

You might not get tin can acuracy , but you got some tin foil helmets here . :D

Bad men every one ! burn you ,chop you , light saber your butt .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2010, 07:15:13 PM »
You Colorado guys worry me, you really do!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2010, 10:12:17 PM »

Look guys, I don't want to hear any making fun of those of us who have had a personal encounter with a UFO.

You see, about 20 years ago and not three miles from where my pics above were taken, I was sitting by my campfire on a windy, moonless Summer night. Out of the corner of my eye and only several yards away, a small bright object appeared in the air from behind me. It was the only thing I could see outside of the circle of light from the fire, and I nearly fell into the fire as I tried to unholster my 357.

Seconds later, as it moved slowly and silently past me, I was able to identify this UFO as a white plastic grocery bag blowing in the wind.

This experience left an indelible mark on my psyche (Well okay, maybe just on my pants).

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2010, 11:16:08 PM »
     Yes, the vanes are a little askew, but this was due to a kitchen table smack-down deployment test of the guidance assy.  Pretty close to the old stake, eh Victor?  Eh, eh?   Disclaimer follows:   Actual test fire results may differ from what you see here.

Impressive... A staged picture along with excuses and a disclaimer. What, no flashy digital renderings of a perfect launch on your website? How far out has your launch date been pushed (once again)? ::)

Customers and investors are already seeing the cost benefits of the V3-SCB's off-the-shelf technology and simplicity.

Our new mission statement...

"Building upon our solid engineering and real world knowledge gained in the recent successfull launch (On time and under budget, by the way) of V3-SCB #1, V3 Technologies is dedicated to the delivery of safe, reliable and environmentally responsible SMACK products to satisfy the demanding requirements of mortar enthusiasts everywhere."

Talk is cheap, but V3 products are even cheaper. May the best projectile win the contracts. ;D

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2010, 05:37:47 AM »

Send in 25 cents and two box tops and you too can have your official GBO tin-foil hat!   :D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2010, 05:45:31 AM »
     Beware of the man who wields ancient weapons, Victor.  Like a chess player's, his every move is well planned in advance of his actions.  Also, here is a special warning for people young and old, Never, ever believe it when someone tells you, "Don't worry, these photos will Never be posted on the Web, these pics are private."  Gary, we need to talk.

Victor3,   Just remember what happened to your Sgt. York, AA system.  That was the end for V2 Technologies, wasn't it?  Chapter 11 reorg followed, right?  Well, my tin foil hat may look silly, but there is no silliness implied when I tell you that your vaunted S.M.A.C.K. projectile is in for a SMACK-DOWN from the Broomfield Cannon Manufactory's S.P.L.A.T. an Advanced, Multi-Vane, Guidance Assured, Projectile.  Remember our motto, 'Ours cost A LOT more, but you need only ONE'.

Tracy

PS    DD and CW, we worry ourselves sometimes, but not too much after the gunfire has ceased at Bombardment Meadows (Gary's backyard) and more than several brewskis have been consumed.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2010, 07:43:41 AM »
Tracy,

So you mean I shouldn't have copied them to my funny photo file for future use........  ::)

It's that mountain spring water........ Coors always brags about.......

Allen <><