Author Topic: Barrel Fitting Almost Completed?  (Read 467 times)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Barrel Fitting Almost Completed?
« on: March 14, 2010, 11:45:20 AM »
Recently acquired a 30-06 barrel from a member in a trade. My only SB2 frame is from an Ultra manufactured in 2002. The barrel lug was too long and I needed to remove material from the lug pivot area. I tried a few passes with various drill bits and oxide paper secured from a retired machinist friend. I settled on a .348 drill bit and 1/2 wrap of #60 oxide for a size near .378. Being this is my first try at doing a rifle barrel (did two shotguns somewhat crudely) I did lot of trial fitting and after several hours my barrel will close on the action 19 out of 20 times. I have since had to put the project aside. I noticed the ejector is making a mark on the breech face and I can't get the aluminum foil to slide thru the area between the breech face and the barrel yet. It locks up tight on the foil. I have not checked for latch engagement yet.

When I get back to this project I'm wondering, have any of you left your barrel fitting super snug like this or would advise removing slightly more material from the lug pivot? On one side I'm thinking the whole deal will eventually loosen up, and then again think I might have it all too snug yet. Any thoughts?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Barrel Fitting Almost Completed?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 11:50:44 AM »
I suggest you do not take any more off and shoot it a while, better snug than loose. It is easier to remove a bit more later than to add some....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 12:07:52 PM »
You want it tight on the foil at the top of the barrel, it may be loose there and tight closer to the middle, in that case, you can usually see light across the gap, if you can see no gap, call it good and check latch engagement, if you continue to deepen the pivot, you'll end up having to shim it to get back where you were.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 07:40:28 PM »
On my good doubles I figure if I can close the action on a dollar bill they are starting to get lose.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
From my limited experience at this, though successful so far, I say leave it where it is now. Use, making sure to 'slap it closed' with some authority and let it seat in through the recoil impulse. You will be able to tell in 50 rounds or so if you need to 'fine fit' a tad more.
At this point, less is more.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974