Author Topic: Observations on  (Read 413 times)

Offline pete50

• Trade Count: (0)
Observations on
« on: November 13, 2003, 03:04:27 AM »
Hello, I normally post in the reloading or T/C forums, but I also read the postings here. I wanted to share an observation I made the other day at the range about my optics. I have "always" used BSA and Bushnell Sportview Scopes in the past on all my rifles. I've never had a problem with them, lots of hunting and deer taken, etc. My friends abuse me because they all have Leupold Vari X III on their rifles. I look through them, but not a noticable difference to me short term basis. I bought a BSA spotting scope 20X for range usage. I got a great deal on a Leupold VX II 3x9x40 and decided to put it on my t/c encore. When sighting in, it it all became very clear, very quickly. At 9x with the Leupold, I could see holes in the target at 100 yards with my scope, crystal clear. Using the BSA spotting scope, I could see the target, no holes, and this is a 20x scope!!! What I learned for myself was that the Leupold 9x was clearer and more magnification than the 20x BSA. I was convinced once and for all that going "cheapy", I wasn't doing myself any favors. I have to buy another scope next year for my 7mm. I'll only buy quality optics from now on. Probably 4200 or Vari xIII. Pete

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Observations on
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 08:25:15 AM »
The scope was more clear but didn't have more magnification. Too many people misunderstand the importance of quality optics and coatings and assume magnification can make up for it. But it can't. You can as you've now seen see more clearly with a quality 9x than a cheap 20x. To me most all cheap spotting scopes are useless. I can see more detail thru the quality optics of my scopes.

Using the Bushnell Elite 2-6 or Trophy 2-6 handgun scopes I can generally clearly see my bullet holes in the target at 100 yards. Some times I can't if they are all in the black but in the white I can see even .22 caliber holes with these scopes. Using cheap spoting scopes at 100 yards I've often not been able to see the bullet holes at 100 yards. That's why I use a B&L Elite 20-60x80 scope. With it I think I might could read a newspaper at 100 yards if I had a reason to try.

It really is worth the money to buy quality optics.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!