Author Topic: Left hand thumbhole stocks. Beautiful but we are neglected. Unite!  (Read 838 times)

Offline fredster22

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (195)
  • A Real Regular
  Having been lucky enough to catch this set from Whatisname I sure wish there was more available fo us " afflicted "
folks. Emailed Boyds where these were made and was informed that these were a limited run but was asked if I wanted
to be added to a request list. Naturally I said yes and wanted to be put on a notification list also. Maybe if us southpaws
would get together and do a mass request maybe we can get something to happen! What do you think?  Put this set on my
243 24" ultra would sell my soul to get more.  Fred
All H&R 17m2 Sportster-17hmr Sportster-22lr Leatherneck semi-22mag ultra-22mag 700semi-22 hornet/20 258-221 fireball
223 bull-22-250 bull-243 bull Ultra--762x39-7x57m
30-30 157man-30-30/20ga 258--32-20 cust
-357max factory-357mag/20ga 258-44mag/20
ga 258-45lc-45/70-50 Sidekick-50
Huntsman-12ga Trap-12ga TDC
20ga TDC-20ga 22" 258x2-28ga 22"
Topper-410 slug-410 22"Topper-410 Charmer

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Re: Left hand thumbhole stocks. Beautiful but we are neglected. Unite!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 03:20:04 PM »
Nice stocks. I ain't left handed but I can understand the frustration.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
I'm a righty,
 But my son is what they call "cross dominate". He's right handed with daily use of his extremities, yet he has a dominate LEFT eye.
 His long gun shooting is Greatly improved if/when he holds and shoot's left handed. I watched this develop from age 6, and even tried (mildly) pushing towards right handed, but the differance was too significant to be ignored. I know he'd love to have a proper thumbhole stock!
 Is there any particular person to contact at Boyd's? I mean if we all email, and it's responded to by one of several the info could be lost in the mess. But if we contact one person, the need may come to frutation sooner.
Got a link?
found elsewhere

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 03:57:12 PM »
I'm a righty,
 But my son is what they call "cross dominate". He's right handed with daily use of his extremities, yet he has a dominate LEFT eye.
 His long gun shooting is Greatly improved if/when he holds and shoot's left handed. I watched this develop from age 6, and even tried (mildly) pushing towards right handed, but the differance was too significant to be ignored. I know he'd love to have a proper thumbhole stock!
 Is there any particular person to contact at Boyd's? I mean if we all email, and it's responded to by one of several the info could be lost in the mess. But if we contact one person, the need may come to frutation sooner.
Got a link?

I hear ya. My daughter is the same as your boy. Amazing how they shoot if on the correct side of the stock. I also would like the info for the contact person.

Dinny also will be interrested, poor guy has that lefty affliction also ;)

Lonny

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 04:02:38 PM »
count me in on the lefty thing, all my bolt guns are left hand, and one of the reasons I started with handi rifles is it don't make much difference with the factory stock if you shoot left or right. ;D
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 04:05:56 PM »
I'm the same way too.Right handed,but left eyed.Shoot everything except pistols left handed.Always lean over the pistol and site left eyed with a strong hand right.Cant' scratch my butt with my left hand,but have to shoot that way.Makes using a right hand bolt gun easy on the bench though.Slow
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce

Offline fredster22

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (195)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 04:09:17 PM »
 That is mainly my problem and both of my sons is the master eye dominance we are all basicly right handed . I am going to go back
to my notes and see if I have the womens name who responded to me but also going to cotact Boyds and Gunstock Inc again for more
imformation. Will post if I come up with anything substantial. I think it would be good if all interested persons would do the same as we
may be able to have results.  Fred
All H&R 17m2 Sportster-17hmr Sportster-22lr Leatherneck semi-22mag ultra-22mag 700semi-22 hornet/20 258-221 fireball
223 bull-22-250 bull-243 bull Ultra--762x39-7x57m
30-30 157man-30-30/20ga 258--32-20 cust
-357max factory-357mag/20ga 258-44mag/20
ga 258-45lc-45/70-50 Sidekick-50
Huntsman-12ga Trap-12ga TDC
20ga TDC-20ga 22" 258x2-28ga 22"
Topper-410 slug-410 22"Topper-410 Charmer

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 04:35:25 PM »
I'm right handed and left eye dominate. That's one reason scout mounts don't work for me with both eyes open. As long as I use a scope in the standard position it isn't a problem. I do however shoot handguns with my left eye.
Don

Offline skiforce

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »
The new plastic thumbholes are ambidextrous.  Dinny shot mine today.  I think he liked the feel.  I will have to let him answer that one.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 06:32:47 PM »
I'am Left handed, right eye dominate.
With eye-exercise you can change. It has taken me years but I can now shoot with both eyes open or shoot with my left eye, with a scope or iron sights.
I did this on my own. Then I ask my eye-doctor, glasses guy, who also is a Friend. He informed me that one can change there dominate eye with training & exercise. He is also a fellow shooter.

Offline Uncle Harry

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »
Sign me up for a stock if Boyd's is gonna make a run for us "handicapped" shooters living in a right handed world.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 10:44:45 AM »
The Boyds lefty is a pretty looking stock. My daughter is left handed, perhaps I should get on the bandwagon as well and get on the list for a left handed thumbhole stock and make up a Handi for her, even though she has not shown any interest in shooting for years now....I still have to be a good father right?....<><....:)

P.S. - The new synthetic Remington ambidextrious stocks a some ugly, or perhaps fugly, take your pick of terms, the outcome is the same....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 10:55:27 AM »
i  don't have a dominant  eye
don't matter what side i hold a rifle on [favor the right]
so i prefer  ambidexterous stocks
hand guns are  prefered  left handed
bow  right  only
hammer prefer  left
saw....dont care

my sons are a different story
one right handed  the other left
both shoot  left
both  have  a handi
my  thump hole handi  is right
but  they  may want  one of those  leftty 
i  have been looking for one of these  for them  but never found one till now
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline noyb72

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »
Give me the email and I will beat the doors down!! I am of the opinion that the squeaky gear gets greased!

Ron