Author Topic: VX-II 3-9x33mm EFR Rimfire scope?  (Read 580 times)

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
VX-II 3-9x33mm EFR Rimfire scope?
« on: March 14, 2010, 04:56:05 PM »
Can a VX-II 3-9x33mm EFR Rimfire scope be mounted and work well on anything with a bit more punch that a rimfire? -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: VX-II 3-9x33mm EFR Rimfire scope?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
I think so....

I believe that in the better scopes, a rimfire has a parralax set at 50yards rather than the standard 100 yards.  I may be wrong and I would not try using a really inexpensive rimfire scope on anything other than a rimfire, but a leupold may be fine.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 06:59:26 PM »
Can a VX-II 3-9x33mm EFR Rimfire scope be mounted and work well on anything with a bit more punch that a rimfire? -g

If I were you I would ask the question here or phone.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/contact-us/service-support/

1-800-LEUPOLD (538-7653)

yooper77

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 07:34:30 PM »
Yup no problem at all. As was stated the only thing that makes a "rimfire" scope a rimfire as opposed to centerfire or shotgun scope is the distance at which the parallax is set and in the case of shotgun scopes usually a bolder crosshair.

Since it is the EFR scope it has an adjustable objective so you set the parallax correction yourself.

I've used one on 7-08, .270 Winchester and .30-06 all three. I really hate an AO on a hunting rifle tho. If it has an AO you really MUST adjust that objective if you move from say 50 yards out to 150 yards so you might be sitting there with it set at one distance and have to adjust it for the shot you actually get. A 3-9 doesn't really need an AO but for me at least once you reach 10X I have to have some means of adjusting parallax or I can't shoot it effectively at closer ranges than around 100 yards.

It will stand up to more recoil than you're likely to subject it to just fine if that's the reason for the question.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 10:13:35 PM »
Thanks for the replys.
GB, The recoil was the reason for the question. You brought up a senario I didn't think about on adjusting parallax as I know nothing of the scope.
I need a scope for my 308 and thought it a good buy at $300. The add say's it comes with a NIB FatWrench, and 300 rounds of TAP ammo. Looks to be a good deal. -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 06:21:08 AM »
I'm confused....what comes NIB with ammo???  The scope or the gun??  If you have the scope already, fine.  If you need a scope for a .308, I would purchase a standard Leupold (preferrably a Vari-X II 3x9).
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline p15camborne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 08:30:15 PM »
From what I've read all Leupolds are tested to the same standards.  I've used a VX-I 2-7x28mm rimfire on a .30-30 and on a .243.  Worked fine.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 09:02:12 AM »
i wouldnt even worry about the parallex. It wont effect much in a hunting rifle anyway. Its more of a consern on something like a varmit gun that needs to be super precise way out there. As a matter of fact it might even be an advantage on a short ranged hunting gun.
blue lives matter