Author Topic: What can I expect from a shortened barrel?  (Read 919 times)

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
What can I expect from a shortened barrel?
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:23:19 PM »
Want to shorten a 26.5in .20 ga barrel to 21in.  What can I expect from it after I shorten it?  With shot and slugs.  It's a mod. choke right now.  Thanks.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: What can I expect from a shortened barrel?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 02:33:49 PM »
Cool Factor!!!  Shot patterns will get large quickly unless you have chokes installed.  Slugs group ok.  I have had decent luck with remington slugs.

Offline cgoff

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »
I shortened a 12 gauge to 20" that shoots very well with slugs but is damn near worthless with buckshot even at 10 yds

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 03:42:50 PM »
I shortened a 12 gauge to 20" that shoots very well with slugs but is damn near worthless with buckshot even at 10 yds

Exactly right. ;)

Spanky

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »
I killed a hog at about 30 yards with mine with 3" 00 Buck.  I think with the federal flitecontrol wads the buckshot pattern will be good out to 40 yards.  I will have a range reports soon.

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »
One excellent and beautiful short range bunny buster! ;)

Froghunter

PS: And Welcome!

"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline TxGun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 09:14:52 PM »
I killed a hog at about 30 yards with mine with 3" 00 Buck.  I think with the federal flitecontrol wads the buckshot pattern will be good out to 40 yards.  I will have a range reports soon.

Same here. I just killed a hog a couple of weeks ago at about 25-30 yards (didn't actually measure distance) with an 18 1/2" 12ga. shortie using the 2 3/4" 00 Flight Control buck.   

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 04:49:55 AM »
I rebuilt a dump grade 20ga breech loader.  Cut barrel to 18" and 34" overall to take in jeep offroad.  Never bothered with new front sight.  Sling holds two buckhammers, two # 2 buck, one 4 chill and a four chill in the chamber.  Has handled feral cats, dogs, coyotes, anything out to 25 yds with authority.  Buckhammers can both be covered with a hand at 50 yds.  Only time a cop asked about my shorty was up on White Mountain Apache Reservation.  We talked quite a while and he was going to give the same treatment to a 12 ga he owned.  I bought a H&R 20ga and am finishing it up the same way for a relative by marriage out on the Navajo reservation up near Holbrook, Az.  Talked to his  dad and the kid would prefer a 30-30 but this will go into use for a 13 year old sheepherder in training.  My brother in law is kicking in a case of various shells, old but still good. Come to think of it I may give him my shorty and keep the H&R.

blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 07:36:54 AM »
TxGun,

What kind of patterns are you getting with the flitecontrol?  I ordered some 3" 00 from midway last night. 

Offline TxGun

• Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
TxGun,

What kind of patterns are you getting with the flitecontrol?  I ordered some 3" 00 from midway last night.  

I believe the gun in question (one of my H&R/NEF shorties) is giving me about 4-6" patterns at 25-30 yards. This works OK for me as I can routinely get that close to hogs on my place. I haven't formally patterned this gun like I should, but I've used FC in other guns (pumps) and it consistently gives the tightest patterns of any buck load I've used.  

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 08:03:51 PM »
Well, I'm goin ahead with this.  Glad to find out about the flightcontrol ammo.  I'll check it out as soon as I'm done modding the gun.   Maybe even post a picture if it doesn't look too awful.  Thanks all.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline retrosub

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 09:03:55 AM »
Check out the box of truth articles on this:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot44.htm
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot45.htm

In both articles, there wasn't that much of a difference between full, modified, or cylinder.

The common conclusion in both articles was: "The main factor in group size seems to be the difference in the brands of ammunition. That means that if we want good patterns, there is no substitute for trying the different loads in your shotgun."

However, you'll notice that flight control wads definitely grouped the tightest, regardless of choke.

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 09:37:38 AM »
the test was done at 10 yards .....
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 10:12:56 AM »
I wish he would have did some longer range test with the flitecontrol wad.  I will be trying some out this weekend if time allows.  I had 2 boxes show up on the big brown truck today.