Author Topic: OK, I found a metal trigger guard from TOW, now...  (Read 525 times)

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
OK, I found a metal trigger guard from TOW, now...
« on: March 18, 2010, 08:53:42 AM »
I need some help on mounting it.  Drilling the action... like do I drill all the way through the bottom into the underlug channel, screw size (probably 8x32 because I have tap, not bottom tap yet), and pretty important, on trimming off plastic trigger guard bow, because I need the inner part.  Finally on screws for the stock end of the guard.  Anything else on shaping the guard for the bottom (curved) of the action and stock... inletting?  Whatever else please.

Oh, how... heat treating brass so it's soft and doesn't break when I bend to fit?

This is an SB-1 Pardner action.

I studied the FAQ, nice pics, little how-to I could use.

Thanks.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline aromakr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: OK, I found a metal trigger guard from TOW, now...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:51:42 AM »
To answer part of your question:
too soften Brass you heat it too a dull red and quench it in water. Brass reacts the opposite of steel. Pounding on brass will harden it. Thats why cartridge brass get brittle with use, the continued working (expanding and sizing) hardens it.
Bob

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:20:48 PM »
Then you can only bend it a little, and have to heat/quench again. I've broke more of those than I care to tell ya.

Inletting is an art unto itself, not hard too do, but a litle practice on other wood besides your stock for the first job is advisable. You should be able to find links on the web for inletting.

As far as mounting the front? I've seen gents here talk of it, but havent seen any finished job's yet. Brass is easy to shape/sand/polish and drill, but how and where too mount it on the handi frame is the stumper. Which guard from track have you chosen? My guess is it'd be best to drill and tap for a short machine screw, but where?,,is up to the installer.
found elsewhere

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:24:56 PM »
 This may or may not help. Here is a link to one that was posted a while back.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,157815.0.html

Lonny