Author Topic: Casting Hot Glue Bullets ala Stimpy - part Duce  (Read 2310 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Casting Hot Glue Bullets ala Stimpy - part Duce
« on: March 19, 2010, 07:09:31 AM »
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this but since I started it here a couple of threads ago...  :-\

Feel free to move it if you want Stimpy!   ;)

Now that I'm an expert at casting gluletts and find they work very well in my handguns, I decided I'd construct a practice bullet backstop in my basement.  A bunch of PVC later I have a 4' x 6' target holder set up.  The idea is that the gluletts pass through a piece of cardboard used as a target holder and impact a cloth spread over the back of the frame which is at a 45o angle to the front of the frame.  The gluletts are deflected downward and accumulate inside the 4x4 base of the frame.

The backing I am trying first is a 8 oz canvas drop cloth.  Trouble is, a direct hit glulett will go right through it at 30 feet!   :o  If the glulett goes through the cardboad target holder first it works, but just barely. 

So I'm going to try 10 oz canvas and see what happens.  Problem is, if I have to go much heavier, the backing will weigh to much for the 3/4 inch PVC to support.   Nothin's ever easy...  :'(

Them Blue tarps are pretty strong...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline rangerwillie

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Casting Hot Glue Bullets ala Stimpy - part Duce
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 12:36:20 PM »
You got my attenion last week when I read about HOT GLUE BULLETS. I found my glue gun but no sticks, off to the store I go. I cast up a few for the 45-70........ stuck in the barrel. I read the post again and saw " pistols " DUH. OK , I rolled some around in LLA, NOPE. So I tried wax , more NOPE.  I'm thinking of a gr. or two of 5744. If I do I'll get back on.  dan

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »
I used to get the free paper when ever they would call and cancel once the free time was up.
I would stick the rolled up paper in a carboard box and sit it on the reloading bench as the back stop for my compound bow.  With a poece of ply wood behind it.  It did t well to stop the telephone polls I call arrows from 50 feet. (I would open the garage walk across to the condo across from me and shoot from their garage door into my garage.) when I noticed the arrow going in farther than 1/2 of the shaft I simply rearanged the box a little and got fresh news( lies) in front of the arrow.  When Done the recycle guy took it away.
Or are you trying to make something that will catch the rounds and not hurt then so you can use them again?
Have you tried any out of your C&B revolver yet

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 01:03:11 PM »
Richard

How about a double layer of cardboard with the thickness of the PVC between them , like an air gap buffer ? Its not adding much more weight , less than what double tarp would be for sure .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline squirrellluck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 01:11:27 PM »
Instead of hanging the dropcloth at a 45 angle let it hang down freely. It should "catch" the glulets

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 02:04:51 PM »
I cast up a few for the 45-70........ stuck in the barrel.

Hey Dan!

They wouldn't work through my 24 inch 44 Mag M92 of 45 Colt M73 either.  Stuck in the barrel.   :(  So I am using commercial plastic and rubber bullets in them and the gluletts in my revolvers.  I also just tried my 30-30 M94 with parafin plugs with so so results.

I'm gonna try the 45 cal rubber bullets in my 45-70 and see how they do.   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »

I'm gonna try the 45 cal rubber bullets in my 45-70 and see how they do.   ;D

I bet that would really tick a deer off........................ ;D
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 05:59:46 PM »
are you trying to make something that will catch the rounds and not hurt then so you can use them again?

That's the idea there McWoody!   ;D  I shot a bunch tonight.  Great fun!  Maybe I oughta take a couple of pics...  :-\

Have you tried any out of your C&B revolver yet

I have at the range, but I shouldn't think the p caps would have enough push to get a projectile down the barrel...  :-\  maybe I ought to try it!   :o  That would be really cool!   8)  By golly, I think I'll go down to the man cave and see!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »
I bet that would really tick a deer off........................ ;D

They work great!   :o  Shot some outa my 22" Handi.  Really accurate.  Must be that hollow base.
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »
How about a double layer of cardboard with the thickness of the PVC between them , like an air gap buffer ? Its not adding much more weight , less than what double tarp would be for sure .

Can't really envision what you're saying Stimp...  :-\  The cardboard hangs on the front of the frame to hold the targets.  I'm using boxes, cutting them in half so I get 2 target backings from each box. If I used the whole box, giving me a double thickness of cardboard it would solve the problem, but I'd go through twice as many boxes!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »
Instead of hanging the dropcloth at a 45 angle let it hang down freely.

But wouldn't they be more apt to punch through at 90 degrees then 45?   :-\
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 06:55:05 PM »
Not really The drop cloth should swing catching the glulett. Sorta like throwing a baseball at a sheet hanging on a clothes line.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 06:41:48 AM »
...drop cloth should swing catching the glulett.

I'll give that a shot...  ::) when I change out the backing.  It's working right now when the gluelett is slowed down by the cardboard.  Trouble is, I shoot such iti biti groups that the practice bullets end up going through the hole made by the previous bullets and there's nothing to slow them down!   ;D

Oh McWoody!  I tried my C&B revolvers last night.  Big time failure.  the plastic 38 bullets were so much under bore size they didn't work, and while the rubber 45 bullets fit well, the precussion cap didn't have enough power to get them out of the barrel.  If they wouldn't work I know the glueletts wouldn't! 
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 04:15:13 AM »
The 30-30 is a good one for the hot melt bullets too. I use them in my Super 16 Contender to chase the squirrels from the bird feeder.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 04:39:22 PM »
 An old inner tube sliced so that you have "FINGERS" hanging in the gluelets path may last a good bit longer than cardboard. I use 2 layers arranged so the slit of the first "fingers" are covered by the second set of fingers". I have been using this setup for years to shoot airguns AND .44 mags (those plastic Speer bullets) in my 30 foot long basement. Squirelluck is correct about the swaying sheet catching and slowing the bullet. You just need ENOUGH room for the action to take effect!

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 05:44:33 PM »
I would think that even your heavy canvas is going to fail pretty quick since you shoot such itty bitty groups. You ought to try carpet. That's what I use to catch the BBs my grandkids shoot. I just hang it on the garage door, but a 1'" PVC frame should hold it. Carpet remenants may be cheaper than canvas.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 08:46:13 AM »
Carpet may still be a bit stiff and cause bounceback or premature deformation of the bullets. I have found tht a knit blanket just hung over a rod will stop them however I have not tested this on 10s or 100s of shots. My other thought is fiberglass matt. It should be durable yet "soft" and flexible enough to stop glueletts.

I made about 100 for the .38 a few nights back and found about 250 plastic cases on auction so I should be set. FWIW the plastic cases are going to do double duty as blanks for dog training. Primers are cheaper than .22 blanks.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 04:45:56 AM »
Well the search continues... :(  Put 10 oz canvas up yesterday.  A 45 glulett from my 1911 went through a double thickness of cardboard AND the canvas...  :'(
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline dakotashooter2

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 06:04:19 AM »
Got my plastic 38 cases in the mail. A few things I found out... They are short like 38 S&W length... they use large primers and they are tapered inside and limit seating depth. I managed to squeeze one of my gluelettes (158 gr Keith design) into a case and when I touched it off .....holy bejebus did that thing move. The regular 38 case can't even compare. I'm guessing 500 or better fps. There apparently was enough pressure to obturate (sp) the bullet cause it actually had deep rifling marks on it unlike others I have shot.
The problem is I can't flare the mouth of the case so seating the gluelette is a problem. I'm gonna try one of my .356 molds and see if they seat easier.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 06:21:37 AM »
Altlaw,
What about the flexible cutting boards? 
They make some disposible cutting boards and clamping 2 of them to the back of a carboard box behind the target may fo the trick with one more on the opposite end.  The clamp on the top of the box will allow some give in the plastic and slow the projectile down. With the third one as a back stop.  Would be lite and the thin plastic may be strong enough to catch the round and angle the round down. 
Most steel bullet traps use angles to bleed off energy by redirecting it.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 07:51:56 AM »
Most steel bullet traps use angles to bleed off energy by redirecting it.

The 6'x9' canvas that I'm using for a backstop drapes over the back of the frame I put together at a 45o angle.  At another member's suggestion I tried one at 90o but the gluletts zipped right through.  If the backstop is too hard it will sooner or later damage any of the practice bullets.  Gluletts I can make, but the plastic and rubber ones cost money!   :P
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 08:02:37 AM »
.....holy bejebus did that thing move. ... The regular 38 case can't even compare. I'm guessing 500 or better fps.

Hey DS2!

gluletts from my 44 mould have a GC bevil which fits right into the plastic case!  I lucked out!   ;D  For my 45's, Colt and APC, I'm using brass with the flash hole drilled out.  I have gotten the distinct impression, based on penetration of cardboard and canvas  ::) that the 45's out of the ACP brass are much faster then the same projectile out of the Colt brass.   :-\  Could the shorter brass have something to do with that?   ??? 

I may have to run them over my chronograph just to see...  ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 08:04:46 AM »
Sorry,
I wanted to say using angles to diflect the bullet may be the way to go.  not using steel as a hard surface but softer materials that will catch and redirect the projectile.  heck If you could use old brooms that would catch redirect the round to the bottom of the box with something to catch the rounds like chewed up foam rubber.

Offline Macphoto

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 08:55:14 AM »
Duct seal may be the material for your trap.  It is used to catch pellets.  Beeman used to sell it as Ballistic Putty, but it is just Duct seal and can be had for around a dollar a pound, lasts forever and looks like modeling clay.  No ricochet and when it packs up with pellets, just take them out in a wad and smooth it back over.  Lots of folks put it in the back of a metal electrical panel box and hang the target on the front.  Just close it up when you are done.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 09:22:30 AM »
Duct seal may be the material for your trap.

Yah but a 4x6 FOOT backstop?   ???
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 09:29:37 AM »
OKAY , all this gab FORCED me to try glue bullets! I shoot in my 30 foot basement at a box with the sliced inner tube  AND a carpet folded inside. This stops pellets from several different pistols and rifles. Any way ,the .44- 230 grain Lee mold and another in 45-165 were used to "cast" the glulets. The 45's shot quite well from a S&W auto. Then I tried the 44's. Seems I forgot to drill the flash holes with a 1/8th" drill. The cylinder jammed tight. After removing the empties it was apparent the primers had backed out. I drilled a dozen cases and reloaded them. 2 inch groups aren't great for this gun, BUT hey I am shooting and staying warm and DRY. I have recovered the shot bullets and can reload them for another go round. Any one have a good idea of the number of shots they will take? OH yea, those lite .45's DO zip along quite a bit faster than the heavy 44's. I am using Mag PISTOL primers in both rounds.

Offline Venado

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »
I tried hot-glue bullets molded in my bullet mold years ago. Used it for a .44 mag. load. I actually used a gas-check mold, used a gas-check, and about 2 grains of bullseye powder behind it. Those things would go about an inch and a 1/2 into a phone book. I used the super hot glue sticks to make them. They did come out melted a little, which is why I used the gas-check. I bet a person could kill a squirrel with it.

Offline Venado

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 10:16:50 AM »
Forgot to say, a person can take graphite, roll the gluelette around in it, and it will look just like the real thing.