Author Topic: .243 question  (Read 1044 times)

Offline DaveP

• Trade Count: (0)
.243 question
« on: March 20, 2010, 02:25:29 AM »
Thinking of picking up a Handi youth in .243 for my daughter.
She's 5'3', 105#, and not particulary recoil sensitive, although she is thin armed,and weight is sometimes a problem.

Anyway, had my mind set on the 243 youth, until I started hearing all the horror stories, about the Handi in .243 being more problematic than other calibers, and recent fit/finish problems with newer Handis.

I have an older, bull-barelled .223 that, after some tinkering, I am VERY happy with.

We're taking her out after antelope this fall,so I need to get moving NOW!

Any ideas,thoughts,or suggestions?

Also, can I buy and add a youth stock to a full sized Handi? I do not see them listed on their website.
A buddy MAY sell his full sized 7/08, so that is another option I am considering. 

Thanks, Dave

Offline VTBrat

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: .243 question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 02:32:10 AM »
Purchased a youth model .243 for my 9 year old son last summer.  Then, I sent the frame off to H&R and had a 20 guage youth barrel fitted and purchased an adult pallet stock.  I've been very pleased with the gun so far.  The adult pallet stock will permit us to change out the stock as he grows as they are interchangable.  I don't reload and found a couple of factory loads that he was able to shoot comfortably at the 100 yard mark, plenty of range for the whitetails in SW VA.  If we allowed the barrel to cool between shots, everything was fine.  If we didn't, the shots would start stringing for sure.  My son is still a little guy, small framed and light in the weight department.  I took off the factory recoil pad and replaced it with a Limbsaver slipon.  No issues for him to shoot comfortably.  Good luck with your daughter.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:08:18 AM »
See my 260 Remington range report down the page to see how accurate a 20" Superlight(same as youth) barrel can be, it was a 243 before I had it rebored, I also have a 243 Superlight that shoots almost as good, keep the barrel cool and it will do well for you, the thin barrel heats up fast and accuracy degrades. All I do to mine is float the forend and relieve forend pressure(FAQs) so heat doesn't affect it as much, no special bedding needed.  The Superlight contour barrels will never be good for colony shooting varmints like prairie dogs, but for a light carry hunting rifle, they excel. ;) The 243 may not be the best youth chambering either due to the muzzle blast and sharp recoil, consider the 223 Youth also if it's legal and hunting will be supervised.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 08:16:46 AM »
The 7-08 IS a nice round, got it for the boy, but he's currently bout 140#. The 7-08 leaves alot of room to grow into,,he likes it so well I don't foresee him wanting to change cal for years. I'd put money that he'll be fond of that round well into his adulthood.

If your buddy is near ask to try it. If you load, Hodgdon has the youth loads for big game. It doesn't take alot for those goats;
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf
Proper fit is a big deal.
I cut an adult stock and added a "grind to fit" limb saver so I could get a 12 1/2" pull, I think the youth and ladies stock available is 11 3/4, that's a mite short for him, but you can always sell/trade in the future. Constant market for youth items.
found elsewhere

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 08:31:16 AM »
I think the 243 is a great round I started my daughter with it and she still uses it , that's been over 20 years ago,.....geeez, I'm getting old!!

A question while I'm here, you talk about letting a barrel cool, how many shots before you need to do that? I shot 10 shots through mine yesterday in about 10 minutes and I could tell no difference. my reason for asking is the gun club I'm in has a varmint shooting match and I am planning to use my Handi 243. I need to be able to take 20 shots within 15 minutes, will there be a problem with that??.... Larry
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 08:57:30 AM »
The 20" Superlight gets warm pretty fast, not a lot of metal there to dissipate heat, the 22" standard and bull barrel is much more tolerant of multiple shots in a short time.  ;)

Tim

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:21:46 AM »
I need to be able to take 20 shots within 15 minutes, will there be a problem with that??.... Larry

Larry, best thing is to try it.
 THE biggest problem folks have in a timed event is they shoot too fast! Most people given 15 minutes, will fire all their rounds in 8 minutes. It takes a cool head AND a kitchen timer AND practice to know how much time you have. After all the pressure IS the time and it makes most folks mess up. Ya outta see folks scramble when the "5 minutes remain" call is made! I always like the guy that put's his gun down at that point and stretches his arms and cracks his neck abit, ;D
 If the last 4-5 rounds start to string high because of a hot barrel you can compensate the hold  ;)
found elsewhere

Offline DaveP

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:17:44 AM »
Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

But can anyone address concerns about recent quaility issues, and the .243 chamberings alleged rep for being finicky?

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 05:09:24 AM »
I bought one for my son about 8-9 yrs ago and it would not shoot bullets 85grs and up well enough to satisfy me. It did OK with 55gr and 70gr bullets! I spent a fortune on bullets at least $200 trying to find a load it would shoot. sent it back to factory 3 times they would just send back with this shunk down picture saying they got the gun to shoot 2" groups with 80gr rems. Thats not a very good deer bullet and the best I could group it was 2.5-3" on a good day. He killed a couple of deer with it up close, but was beggin for a bolt after 2 yrs. As touchy and finicky as these guns can be (having to hold and rest forearm same place every shot) if you can afford a bolt gun you both will most likely be happier. IMO!
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 05:45:51 AM »
There are a bunch of us here who do pretty good with these, and a few who dont. I even know of new , more expensive, bolt guns that dont do any better than mentioned. In any cross section of product you will get much the same.
FWIW, just try to sell that more expensive 'whatever'  if it doesnt work. At least with a 'Handi' you can part it out and get your money out.
As for spending X$ on bullets/reloading......all trigger time is training.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 06:12:37 AM »

But can anyone address concerns about recent quaility issues, and the .243 chamberings alleged rep for being finicky?

I've got four 243 H&Rs, two Ultra Varmints and 2 Superlights, no complaints.  ;)

Tim

Offline DaveP

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 10:20:01 AM »

I've got four 243 H&Rs, two Ultra Varmints and 2 Superlights, no complaints.  ;)

Tim

Thanks. But reading up on some of yours, seems they aren't what I would call straight out of the box.
As an earlier poster stated, he had some issues with a .243.

And I had referenced my bull barrelled .223 in my initial post.
First shot  straight out of the box, had to remove case with a rod.
Stuck.
Sent back, and had trigger lightened as well.
(and fitted for a few more barrels)

Then really had to play around to work up a decent load, mess with forearm,etc, but now have it shooting pretty good. Minute of groundhog, and then some.

Granted, many guns need some tuning, and a few have issues that require a trip back to the manufacturer, staright from the get go. Just seems that I've been hearing a lot mor about Handis lately. Or maybe I'm listening more closely.

I'm just trying to find out if these are better or worse than the 1990s when I bought my last one.

Honest opinions, not cheerleading, although I KNOW there will be some, seeing as how this IS a Handi-board!

Thanks again guys!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 10:53:16 AM »
First of all, H&R hasn't made any ejector centerfire rifle barrel for about 3yrs, they're all extractors which makes the sticking brass problem a non-issue, even that can be dealt with using the tips in the FAQs, the majority of the members here prefer ejectors over extractors. Both of my Superlight barrels were second hand which I fitted myself, both of my Ultra Varmints are factory rifles that I bought new, one as an accessory barrel which was factory fitted, the other a thumbhole laminate bought as a complete rifle. The first first Ultra is an ejector barrel, its only had one stuck brass in it which was my fault for not wiping the chamber out at the range after cleaning, it shoots 100gr Federal Power-Shoks well under 1", and 95gr Fusion almost as good, two very popular factory 243 loads for H&Rs. The t-hole Ultra is an extractor and shoots the 80gr Rems under 1½", those are both out of the box with nothing more done than making sure the forend isn't too tight which is very simple to do, and a good cleaning.

Tim

Offline DaveP

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 04:58:13 PM »
FINALLY picked up the .243 youth today.
Had to pay up front and order from Dicks.
It is TIGHT to open, I mean like trying to break a 2"X4" over your knee tight! :o
I'm 6'1", 220 and had to puish, my poor daughter just looked at it after trying and said "I think it's STUCK!"

Oh well, will p/up some various .243 loads and see what we have.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 11:23:04 AM »
Get all the gunk cleaned out of it .Run some patches in and out of it agressivley 50 times or so with some good bore polish. Then just keep doing the same thing with clean patches til they come out clean.Then start shooting your test loads and don't worry about cleaning it to much til ya get one of them shooting 1" or so. That has worked for me for more bbl's than not.I got a ss bull .243 that I am getting ready to start trying to shoot the 62g Varmint Greanades out of.Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 12:12:11 PM »
Why not just get her a 30-30 barrel and shoot light-for-caliber bullets in it?  I have heard from other that the 125gr bullets shoot real well and they have what it takes to put down an antelope at a fair distance.  I haven't heard of any 30-30 Handi complaints.  ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine