Author Topic: Blue Jacket Goal Cannon  (Read 665 times)

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Blue Jacket Goal Cannon
« on: March 20, 2010, 03:42:44 AM »
How did I miss this?  I am a hockey fan (try that one living in Mississippi where the only ice is in a glass of sweet tea) and I had no idea that the Columbus Blue Jackets of the NHL were firing a cannon in doors.  When the team takes the ice and scores.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=57577

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Re: Blue Jacket Goal Cannon
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 05:24:41 AM »
What's that in the muzzle? How is it operated? Foofer charged? Electronically detonated? :-\
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:10:04 AM »
What's that in the muzzle? How is it operated? Foofer charged? Electronically detonated? :-\

According to what I read the mussle has charges of flash powder.  If you watch the video on the site you can see the tubes.  It is electronically fired and when the flash charge is set off there is some kind of charge set off in the rafters that makes the boom.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:00:40 AM »
Thanks! That's what I thought I saw being used with magicians' flash powder. I remember when the bookmakers and policy men used flash paper to write their work.  They wouldn't give it to us as kids. :'(
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:02:26 AM »
A super safe pc cannon..... it's a shame they could not have routed the wiring a little better.....
Love the clear plastic in front of the cannon to protect spectators......

In a pc world where mascots are losing their pistols swords and tomahawks this on may be a plus one for our side.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 09:19:22 AM »
Good post, Brokenpole! I have no idea who the Illinois cannon maker that made this gun is, but a person would have to be in possession of a very vivid imagination in order to see a U.S. Model 1857 Napoleon when viewing that barrel.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Thanks BOOM J.  Glad you enjoyed the post.  I have to say that I feel better after your comment because as I looked at that barrel something just didn't seem right.  I am not the expert that most are on this forum so I usually just shut up and then go do my own research.  May be I am learning a little.   ;D

My wife still expects to walk up to a cannon and have me quote to her what type, who made it and who used it.  The last one is generally the only one I can easily answer.  Who ever had the thing used it.  But I am learning.  Part of the reason I like coming here several times a day just to look at stuff I might have missed.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:07:59 AM »
Thanks for the compliment, Brokenpole. While I don't know how many experts there are on this forum, I am certain of one thing, and that is that I'm not one of them, because like you I learn new things all the time here. I like the word enthusiast, and if you don't mind, that's how I'll refer to both you and myself. Enthusiast: n. 1. One who is filled with enthusiasm; one who is ardently absorbed in an interest or pursuit. I think I can get away with stealing part of a hardware store chain's slogan, after all, they stole it; so "This Is The Place!" Here we can get it all, from the history of black powder ordnance, to the details of manufacturing contemparary reproductions in both miniature and full scale, and so many other aspects of this topic that fall in between.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.