Author Topic: Savage 220 misfires  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Savage 220 misfires
« on: March 21, 2010, 03:31:40 AM »
When I tried my new Savage 220 20 gauge it was very cold at the range.  I had 2 misfires with Federal Ammo.  I have not been able to get back to the range after the weather warmed to see if temperature caused the problem.  One friend speculated that the firing pin came heavily oiled from the factory and the cold caused it to slow down.  It was so cold that I failed to check the primers on the ones that fired, although the misfires had been hit by the primer.

I have wanted to try Remington Accu-Tips as a test, but there are none available around here, and I have tried everywhere from local gun shops to Gander Mt., and even Cabela's in Wheeling, WV.

If the weather and my schedule permits next week I'll be back at the range, but in the meantime has anyone else had this problem?

Offline swiftman

• Avid Poster
Re: Savage 220 misfires
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 07:04:34 AM »
I have seen on other blogs that others are having this problem as well.
My friends son has one of these and is using Rem Accutips  2 shots inside 1.5 inches at 200 yds search over for most accurate load to shoot he has had no failure to fire issues yet. The failure to fire most likely is a gun issue in my opinion, but try cleaning the bolt to get all crud left from manufacture out of it around the firing pin first then use lite lube like Rem Oil . If it continues you should contact Savage.

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
Re: Savage 220 misfires
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 04:49:17 PM »
Rem dri lube is a much better choice in lubing the fireing pin. Rem oil does freeze up when it gets cold.

;D  al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com