Author Topic: Hunter Safety  (Read 1642 times)

Offline kctibs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Hunter Safety
« on: March 21, 2010, 06:02:03 PM »
My nine year old son finished his Colorado Hunter Safety course today. He was pretty excited about being able to get his small game license now.  Just thought I would share. He had about 12 other kids around his age an a couple of older adults. It is a good thing to get more young kids involved they are our future in shooting sports.
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: Hunter Safety
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:43:17 AM »
Every year here in Oklahoma they have the hunter safety programs almost every weekend somewhere during this time of year thru fall.
I always enjoyed going out and helping. Mostly because of my ties to the scouting program. But whenever needed.
I get a kick out of them youngin's.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 04:55:29 AM »
  Have you ever had a kid in one of these courses that could't read very well? I was helping out at one. During a little break one of the dads ask me what was going to happen on the written part because the boy had problems reading. I know what i did. The instructor told me this isn't proper. The kid never missed a question and the instructor did sign his paperwork.
             bobg

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:50:54 AM »
I believe they call it "reasonable accomendations".
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline kctibs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:42:55 PM »
In my boys class the instructer took the young ones in a seperate room and read the questions to them. Don't know how excatly how he did it but my son said he did not give any answers. All the boys passed, I think it was a big stress relief for the kids.
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 04:39:24 PM »
   That is what i did. I didn't give him any answers. If i remember right  there were three choices for answers. A B or C I did read the three to him. I didn't even touch his papers. I had my own question sheet. He would give me an answer and i would tell him.Ok that is letter B or whatever. Just put an X in the box by the B. He had no problems with that. I thought the poor kid was going to cry when he passed the course. He gave me a big hug and his dad shook my hand and thanked me. Really made my day. When everyone left i told the instructor what and idiot i thought he was. He was a member of that club and no one liked him. He never gave another class there again.
     bobg

Offline Modoc

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:19:07 AM »
Bobg,

I am glad to see someone doing that in other states.  I have been teaching Hunter Safety for about 20 years now and that has been similar to how we handle those with reading difficulties.  And it does not have to be just kids, some adults also have a hard time with how the tests are written.

We just finished a class here in Northern CA, a couple weeks ago and 80% of the students were kids.  It is definitely a great feeling when they come back and say how much they liked the class and want to share their field experiences with you. ;D

To All of the other Volunteers out there who help us put on the classes, A great big THANK YOU!

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 11:20:23 AM »
Here in New York the instructors are all unpaid volunteers.  They are allowed and encouraged to read the written portion of the test to those who request it since the state's position is that they are testing hunting safety knowledge and hans-on skills and not reading.

Whenever I'm with a group of sportsmen and someone grouses about the lack (real or perceived)_ of enough safety courses I ask all the folks who have had a license for more than a few years to stand up.  Then I ask those who have taught or assisted in a safety course in the last year to sit down. 

I end with a statement to the rest that they are the reason that there may not be enough safety courses to go around.  We have signed up several new instructors because of this little performance.....

I'm glad for both you and you son and wish you many years of hunting together.

Lance

BTW: we own a farm in very good hunting country. We have substantial populations of squirrels, deer, turkey etc with good waterfowl hunting, especially Canada and snow geese.  When folks ask for permission to hunt I usually tell them they'll have a lot better chance at a "Yes!" if I see them bring a new or young hunter.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 10:34:02 PM »
Congrats to you and your son. I have a taken a few youth to the course here in Indiana. Instructors have always been very helpful, without giving away answeres.

LanceR
 I like the way you think, when it comes to letting hunters with young ones in.

Lonny