Author Topic: pointed 45-70 bullet bc's  (Read 326 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
pointed 45-70 bullet bc's
« on: March 22, 2010, 02:00:05 PM »
looking at different bullets for 45-70 deer load. light, but with the best bc I can get. I am very confused looking at barnes bullets. Maybe it has to do with all copper construction, but the boattail/sharp pointed socom bullets have a bc of .236, while the barnes original 300 gr. is .291. Does this mean that velocity being equal the original will have a flatter trajectory than that super pointy tipped boattail? The barnes original also has a higher bc than the hornady pointed bullet.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: pointed 45-70 bullet bc's
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:14:18 PM »
Yep. The originals will carry better.

Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: pointed 45-70 bullet bc's
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:14:55 AM »
Gallahad, I have a mold by NEI that drops a pointy 420 grain bullet. It (the bullet) drops deer out to about 200 yards almost instantly. I thought it wouldn't work as well as the FLAT nosed Lyman bullet of the same weight. It does have a more flatter trajectory as indicated on PAPER targets, but a deers' vitals can be hit with either with little problem. I shoot them in either a Contender 15" barrel or a Mauser bolt action 24" rifle. I have used 300 to 550 grain bullets in these guns. Recoil goes UP as bullet weight and velocity increases!