Author Topic: Hakovnice and Handgonne barrel has arrived!!!!  (Read 3145 times)

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
Hakovnice and Handgonne barrel has arrived!!!!
« on: March 22, 2010, 06:05:03 PM »
Dom Carpenter is the best!!!!! He reproduced the barrel as close  as to the original and I cannot wait to get it finished!!!! It is a massive chunk of steel and should make a fun shooter!!! Handgonne should be completely assembled and finished by the weekend

If you need a barrel BUY from dom, I cannot say enough about his work!

kevin
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Hakovnice and Handgonne barrel has arrived!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 06:41:52 PM »
What??? No pics?  We'd like to see your new toys!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:57:53 AM »

Exactly.  If anything is 'normal' around here it's pictures of smoke and flame!

;D  (And being polite and supportive of everyones' habbit.)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 09:52:31 AM »
What is a hakovnice?
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 10:10:06 AM »
What is a hakovnice?

A Hussite harquebus

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:08:19 AM »
In the first vid the boy (yellow tee) is shown firing a 'hákovnice', and while I don't have a clue as to what's being said by the reenactor describing the 'hákovnice', I'll bet two bits that he's saying: See this hook that I'm holdin', that's why this here firearm is called a 'hook-gun'. :D

While I'll admit that there's no hákovnice demonstrated in the second vid I posted, there are two neat little bombards that are fired, and the ladies are also very attractive. :)

[yt=425,350]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Knhb5gifUK8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Knhb5gifUK8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

[yt=425,350]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/taCPl_U9BX4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/taCPl_U9BX4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

Exactly.  If anything is 'normal' around here it's pictures of smoke and flame!

;D  (And being polite and supportive of everyones' habbit.)

In other words, we are enablers, one and all! ;D

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »
I did quite a bit or research on some of the 14th century guns. here is a pic of the Hakovnice that I am reproducing. its .75 caliber the handgonne is 68 cal. I picked up the tiller tonight for the handgonne along with a couple of dozen silver round tacks for decorating, starting the stain tonight and should have it waiting for powder by the weekend. Hakovnice is still a stack of oak that I have been collecting for the project. Hoping to start of that sunday.....
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »
The Blue Duke walks right in front of the loaded barrel ! . But a cool video . I didnt see eye protection on the 'volunteer gunners ' either .

gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 04:05:55 PM »
The Blue Duke walks right in front of the loaded barrel ! . But a cool video . I didnt see eye protection on the 'volunteer gunners ' either .

gary

Asking members of the audiance to participate is trouble waiting to happen. 
When I was re-enacting, I would pull a kid out of the crowd, give him or her a sword and tell them to yell "fire"!  That's as close as they got.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »
The fence rails in front of the barrel even with blanks kind of scares me, that much blast could turn part of the post in a projectile quick!

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 11:09:45 PM »
The "hakovnice italska" image, doesn't appear to be a hakovnice  because it doesn't have a "hak" (hook). It could possibly be called a tarasnice (palissade gun) because of its trestle mount and its lack of a hook.

What is labeled, "handgonne cannon", is actually a "komora puska" (chamber gun) and not a "handgonne cannon".  It is commonly referred to as a "breechblock cannon". Hardly a gun that would be hand-held.

There are such pieces as hand cannons but this isn't one of them.

It would be great to see you assemble these pieces. I am looking foward to having company. It's lonely out here in the 14th century.

Dom Carpenter can easily make authentic replications for you. He is more than an artist with steel.

rc

Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 12:12:20 PM »
Thanks for the info, I only had the google translation and lots of pictures to go on, so errorious info does not surprise me.

Dom is a great guy! I ordered a coehorn popcan mortar and have plans for a golf ball mortar shortly. He is looking at doing a reproduction of a boar spear for me as well.  I wish I had purchased some of the large barrels that he was offering eariler but didnt have the funds at the moment.

loinspaw, if you have any info or pictures of reproduction pieces that would be great! I am working on deminsions and info ain't exactly overflowing from the 14th century! as I said, I rely on translation and pictures which are mostly sketches, drawing, and some guess work...... bear with me guys, im new to this.......

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 03:35:17 PM »
Let me know exactly what you want/need and I will work on it. You can get me off line if you prefer.

Boar spear?  When I was a child, my grandmother used to regale me with tales of how her brothers used to hunt boar in my great grandfather's forest. So when I grew-up, I was ready to make the trip to uphold the family tradition.

But first, off I went to Abercrombie & Fitch on Madison Avenue in NYC to get a real boar-killer. They offered me an eight foot long spear with a shaft as thick as a bat. It had this cross bar below the blade. I asked, "What's that for?". The salesman told me, "To stop the impaled boar from running up the shaft and killing you".  I left with a nice drilling with barrels by Krupp ::)

Sometimes, we grow too soon old and too late smart  ;D

Richard "The Mighty Hunter"

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 03:48:22 PM »
The boar spear was .62 caliber . Dom is working on a similar copy of it for me. Puska pictures would help alot, however I would enjoy looking at any pics that you have.....

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 05:18:37 PM »

Nice "spear" ::) but...................................... :-\

A single heart shot on a charging 250 lb boar at 100 yds was close enough for me  8)

What exactly do you want pictures and details of?  Narrow it down a bit.  For your next "toy"?  What ???

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 05:40:42 PM »
Yea you were right . A nice Krupp Drilling would be better . Hand to hand with a wild boar ........You get three shots with a drilling right ? Three shots is much better than one shot and spear ...thing .

What did you ever shoot with the drilling ?

Someday come hell or high water I'm going to own a nice Double Rifle . Too many 'Tarzan' and 'Bammba the jungle boy' when I was a kid .

No it's not our POTUS bammba ! Bammba had a thin spear and could kill lions with a knife . Crocks were just a pain to him because he would have to sharpen his knife after stabbing and drowning 3 or 4 of them .

So I gotta have a double rifle .  :D

Gary

and a spear .....

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
Guys, I've got to agree that the two Slavic knights featured in the vid could both stand to take some remedial classes in black powder weapons safety. The worst in my opinion is when the Blue Knight holds the lit slow match right over the muzzle of the loaded hákovnice just before he carries it over to set on the rest for the boy to fire it.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 02:46:11 AM »
thanks guys for all the info. First, the boar spear is just a couriousity that I needed to fill, I did not plan on hunting with it. Doms design will be slightly different than the original. It will not have to be plunged into a target to fire it, more along the line of cap fired. Secondly, the info that I was looking for was for a carriage design for the bombards that was posted in the second video. specificly how the elevation was done with the 2 part carriage.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 03:55:33 AM »
Is this what you want?

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 04:07:00 AM »
This might be better?

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 04:15:03 AM »
Ooops!  I never gave the Lion's Paw an award ;D

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 08:19:56 AM »
OK, so how does the two halves of limber/barrel mount come together? how does it elevation work with the limber/barrel mount? Does that make sense?

BTW that is the most beautiful thing I have seen in a while? Did you build the whole thing?

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 10:11:30 AM »
Here; try this series.

Yes!  I replicated the beast; using the illustration that I posted and with nothing else to go by. Alot of wrapping paper, blacksmithing and wood-butchering.  Not too shabby.

I have a page of hand drawn illustrations, depicting different angles of beasts that are of the same class and quite similar to the howitzers in the posted video. However, when I scan it, it comes out too large for this post to accept and I don't know how to reduce it to be accepted. 

Give me your address off line and I'll make a hard copy to snail-mail.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 10:22:13 AM »
This is a more gooderuh one ;D 

Offline a4beltfed2000

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »
thank you so much for the detailed pictures. I has become alot clearer now, how everthing works.  Pics are definately worth a thousand words!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »
Richard ,I had no idea you built that thing ! It is fabulous work . It looks like it has a chamber piece ?

Is it a breechloader ? The iron work is very nice .....forging has always been a mystery to me .

"Gooderuh " you're right it is ....and no chesse  :D Garresse  ;)   

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 08:02:37 PM »
Yup!  It's a Breech-block.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 12:50:28 AM »
Exellent work Lionspaw, and maybe even better.........it just looks right.  fine detail.  thanks for posting.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 06:55:48 PM »
It's abit of Scottish herrtage on that gun . Dividers and square . ;) good work .